IGNORED

Fundies Opinion on Minorites

nikegirl

What are there opinions on minorities? Blacks, Asians, Hispanics(legal and illegal), etc. I know they have been compared to the KKK at times. Additionally, are there any (percentage-wise) minorities (especially black and asians respectively) in ATI?. Just wondering!!!!!!

Like pretty much everything else, it depends.

VF and other groups seem to get along quite well with Voddie Baucham (and Jasmine). I'm just not familiar enough with ATI to speak to that.

I'm fundie-lite (white) and in an interracial marriage. Most people (including those who like to think of themselves as social liberals and progressives) had "concerns" because I was young and marrying an African man (scary, scary, you know, what if he just wants a green card?). IME, problems tend to stem from local culture more than from faith.

If people do have a problem with minorities and other race-related things, they're going to need to deal with them because there are an awful lot of racial minorities being adopted into fundamentalist homes.

I'm curious too, actually. Especially as to what would make fundies comparable to the KKK, in a meaningful way.

Other than a handful of fundies like the NON-Thinking Housewife I don't get a major racist vibe from most of the fundies we discuss.

Misogyny and homophobia is a whole different issue.

Other than a handful of fundies like the NON-Thinking Housewife I don't get a major racist vibe from most of the fundies we discuss.

Misogyny and homophobia is a whole different issue.

I kinda disagree.

I think a lot of their ideology is centered around having white babies.

You know, for Jesus.

I think it is more that they are bigoted about a lot more then just color. religious beliefs may be the largest. but pretty much anyone not like them can and do get hated upon.

I think it is more that they are bigoted about a lot more then just color. religious beliefs may be the largest. but pretty much anyone not like them can and do get hated upon.

What's your basis for saying that, doggie?

I'm truly curious.

they judge everyone by their beliefs we are all going to hell if we don't believe like they do. There is a lot of pressure never to mary anyone but another person the same color and the same belief.

But if their goal is "more white babies", why would so many of them be bringing in non-white children, raising them as part of the family. What are they going to do, cut them loose at 18 and say "You're not allowed to be fundie anymore, 'cause you're not white?" I'm kind of curious how the Baucham family would fit into that, and I know there are quite a few churches that are hyper-fundamentalist and majority or all black. FJ tends to focus on the groups that are majority white, but they aren't the extent of fundamentalism. Where we live there are many fundie-lite churches where the membership is mostly African American, and a few others that are waaaaay fundamentalist, same thing. One of our tenants is in a Holiness church, skirts only, no birth control, all that. Though, one of Mike Pearl's main guys is a black man, featured fairly regularly in their photos and sometimes writes for them.

There is certainly the rhetoric about the importance of having more children than groups they are scared of (Muslims, in particular, but also illegal immigrants). Especially when it comes to Islam, I don't think the fear has anything to do with color, but with their perception of the religion and its effects on nations where it holds power.

I would guess that it's not so much that fundies are against minorities as it is that minorities are less likely to be attracted to the fundie lifestyle. If I remember correctly from my sociology class, Blacks and Hispanics (especially immigrants) are more likely to be poor and live in urban areas so a lifestyle that tells them to give up income and education and have more babies probably does not sound all that great.

But if their goal is "more white babies", why would so many of them be bringing in non-white children, raising them as part of the family. What are they going to do, cut them loose at 18 and say "You're not allowed to be fundie anymore, 'cause you're not white?" I'm kind of curious how the Baucham family would fit into that, and I know there are quite a few churches that are hyper-fundamentalist and majority or all black. FJ tends to focus on the groups that are majority white, but they aren't the extent of fundamentalism. Where we live there are many fundie-lite churches where the membership is mostly African American, and a few others that are waaaaay fundamentalist, same thing. One of our tenants is in a Holiness church, skirts only, no birth control, all that. Though, one of Mike Pearl's main guys is a black man, featured fairly regularly in their photos and sometimes writes for them.

There is certainly the rhetoric about the importance of having more children than groups they are scared of (Muslims, in particular, but also illegal immigrants). Especially when it comes to Islam, I don't think the fear has anything to do with color, but with their perception of the religion and its effects on nations where it holds power.

Well, if some of the adoption blogs we've read lately are any indication, I don't think you could claim that they are raising their non-white children as part of the family. LL at VitaFamiliae comes to mind as one who is constantly pointing out how different her adopted black daughter is than the rest of the family, never mind the whole Emma debacle. Which of course doesn't mean that all or even most fundies are racist, but I rarely see them put themselves as equals to people of other races...an opinion that's not unique to fundies either.

I think one major confounding factor is that a lot of them are rural Midwesterners/Southerners. Those beliefs are more common in those demographics. Maybe the religion does not directly promote racism, but the people in it bring their own prejudices to the pew.

I think it depends on the fundie and on the minority under discussion. Homobigotry and misogyny seem to be almost universal among fundies. Far fewer are willing to own a hatred for racial minorities, and some even encourage racial diversity.

Hate seems to attract more of the same, however, and I'm never surprised to learn that someone who hates gays and disrespects women is also a racist and probably a few other disreputable things as well.

I kinda disagree.

I think a lot of their ideology is centered around having white babies.

You know, for Jesus.

Wait a sec..... Jesus was white?????

At the fundie church where I grew up, they actively preached that racism is a sin. If you were a woman, your options in their world were extremely limited and you had to listen to some pretty offensive sermons, but I will give them credit for practicing what they preached in terms of race. There were a number of interracial couples as well as families from various minority groups.

But if their goal is "more white babies", why would so many of them be bringing in non-white children, raising them as part of the family.

To win brown people for god, of course. Can't let that orphan never hear about Jesus or, worse yet, be a Catholic!

I would guess that it's not so much that fundies are against minorities as it is that minorities are less likely to be attracted to the fundie lifestyle. If I remember correctly from my sociology class, Blacks and Hispanics (especially immigrants) are more likely to be poor and live in urban areas so a lifestyle that tells them to give up income and education and have more babies probably does not sound all that great.

Well, less attracted to this fundie lifestyle, with the sort of prairie-Victorian-keeper-at-home mishmash. But there are certainly brands of fundyism in the cities - I work in an urban area and have plenty of students who wear only skirts, even some non-Islamic head-coverers. They tend to be Church of God in Christ, Pentacostal, or generic "Christian", going to storefront churches that tend to have "spirit" in the name. Some belong to churches that preach the prosperity gospel ("God wants you to have money! Give us some and he'll reward you!") I also find tracts under the desks in my classroom sometimes, and have had students evangelize to me. So, not QF/VF/ATI, but its own thing with its own weirdnesses.

So, if they arent rascist, then what's with the "Demographic Winter" they are fretting about? I didn't watch the movie, so maybe Im missing something, but it seems to me they fear that white people aren't having as many babies as minorities or Muslims- especially Muslims. And Mexicans, who they claim to love, but hate just the "illegal immigrants" who "take our jobs".

Overall, I think rascism is the very least of their issues. even those who are generally realize it's wrong, and don't promote it. They save their oppression for women.

It also bugs me how much they fundies hate Islam, when they push the very same agenda when it comes to women. They have much more in common with Islamists than they realize, even though they deny it.

At Hyles-Anderson College don't you have to have your parents sign a permission slip for you to be in an interracial courtship?

I think it's partly regionalism as some have said. But also, I think it might be rooted, among some, in their ideas about America. Some of these groups long to go back to a pre-industrial, rural, cottage industry type of America. Some want to reverse women's suffrage and restrict voting rights to property owners only. Considering the treatment of African Americans at that time, it's difficult not to consider them at least implicitly racist.

I wonder also if it's a demographic issue. I've heard from a lot the tail end of the Boomer cohort (and older), a lot of anti-immigrant crap and "white people are becoming a minority" bullshit. It seems they feel they're power and cultural identity is threatened.

Ati is very anti adoption but I am not sure if their rationale is racially motivated.

I think voddie came into the quiverfull movement later in life and with his wife's fragile health and older age maybe her fertility or fitness to be constantly knocked up was not good. I recall a poster familair with voddie stating he was under pressure to have a bigger family so he'd be toeing the party line.

The dempgraphic winter arguement is more about exploiting underlying bigotry and islamaphobia in its european audience. I am posting on my phone or I would go into more depth. About my issues with that movement

I think that the term "fundies" is such a broad one. Here on FJ everyone is judged by the same standard as the few in-you-face bloggers and craxies. For every one of these families there are 100 or 1000s more who don't believe all the same crazy things.

Archived