IGNORED

Fundys who are actually musical

Daenerys

So we all complain about being subjected to half-arsed attempts to learn instruments and poor singing from fundy families, but who is actually any good.

I saw this arrangement on the seven sisters' blog and haven't been able to get it out my head. Susannah definitely needs to tune that violin but both she and Cassia can actually play their instruments pretty well and I wouldn't mind listening to them (unlike some I could mention)

dTI9wXWzG94

There are couple of families that seem ok musically. The Bonragers actaully sound ok and the Wills Clan that has the show on GAC also sounds ok. The Bates family isn't great when it comes to music but they are better than the Duggars.

It sounds to me like a cheaper instrument, not a tuning issue. My daughter currently uses a cheaper violin and there is a reason she is saving for a nicer one. Those student models are just for learning the basics; you need a more expensive instrument in order to get a good professional sound.

They do sound good. It looks like they both have good training and form.

:? Ummm, isn't that a cello and not a violin?

Yeah, it's a cello, but the same principle applies as far as tuning and cheap instruments.

The Reith family are pretty good. I enjoy bluegrass but not all the Jesus-ey stuff they do, but they are talented at least.

Erin Bates is decent on piano (and somebody helped her release an "album"), but I'm pretty sure she's the only musically inclined of the Bates children.

Erin Bates is decent on piano (and somebody helped her release an "album"), but I'm pretty sure she's the only musically inclined of the Bates children.

I think Zack can play piano as well. I seem to remember watching something where he played and he was decent.

Rebecca Loomis (nee Serven) has vast conducting, piano and vocal chops. There are videos here and there on the servenclan blog that show her leading children's choirs. She and Steven have done some composing which delights some of their Reformed friends/fans. Me? I'm more into what's in the Lutheran hymnals, but that's JMHO.

Three Servens and a friend made up the shape-note quartet that's heard on the documentary about the Tommy Waller family (FedEx mid-level executive who gave it up to live without conveniences whilst begetting 11 chilluns and then moving the clan to Israel to proselytize and thus hurry the return of Jesus help them figure out viniculture). They're very good at the harmonies.

Servens also produced a (series of?) CDs to help people learn to sing the Psalms in four-part harmony. I actually wouldn't mind a set of those, but only if someone decided to give them to me. ;)

Yeah, it's a cello, but the same principle applies as far as tuning and cheap instruments.

Shameful mistake right there. :oops:

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know anything about Talitha Waller? I know a smidge about the Wallers- made a Franklin Springs DVD, yada yadda Betrothal dvd...

Talitha is actually pretty talented(although that sisters dance to "I am in Love" in the trailer for Betrothed gives me the heebie geebies) her sister Angela is in a group with her husband (Teshuva) - Angela seems to play something like a dozen instruments. She was previously a duo with yet another talented sister Kendra.

Talitha covers her hair, but Angela doesnt. For some reason I am very intrigued by them.

I remember seeing a fundie play the cello and they weren't bad. I don't remember who it was. I've been playing the cello for 21 years (I started as a small child) and I wasn't covering my ears or groaning at their technique.

Does anyone know anything about Talitha Waller? I know a smidge about the Wallers- made a Franklin Springs DVD, yada yadda Betrothal dvd...

Talitha is actually pretty talented(although that sisters dance to "I am in Love" in the trailer for Betrothed gives me the heebie geebies) her sister Angela is in a group with her husband (Teshuva) - Angela seems to play something like a dozen instruments. She was previously a duo with yet another talented sister Kendra.

Talitha covers her hair, but Angela doesnt. For some reason I am very intrigued by them.

I actually find their dresses rather attractive, but something about that whole thing reminded me of the movie "The Virgin Suicides" (if you aven't seen it, do, it's weird and beautiful and there are some "verging on"-fundy christans)and those young girls dancing in the sunset, there is something about it that seems almost "sacrificial", like they are about to be offered to some ancient pagan god (well, I guess they are being offered to a god...)....

So we all complain about being subjected to half-arsed attempts to learn instruments and poor singing from fundy families, but who is actually any good.

I saw this arrangement on the seven sisters' blog and haven't been able to get it out my head. Susannah definitely needs to tune that violin but both she and Cassia can actually play their instruments pretty well and I wouldn't mind listening to them (unlike some I could mention)

dTI9wXWzG94

Conservatory-trained musician here, so I'm biased....but to me, this sounded like shit.

Conservatory-trained musician here, so I'm biased....but to me, this sounded like shit.

I think that was pretty much their worst musical video - some of their others are much better. Nowhere near professional, but pretty good for non-professionals. Also, I think some of the sisters are better musicians than others:

ETA: How do I make the videos appear in my post? I used the youtube code but it doesn't seem to have worked...?

Oh wow...I just looked at their music site. Their daughter Olivia has a song called 'I Want To Marry Daddy'. O.o

I'm guessing that's the Patch the Pirate song, as Little By Little is also a PtP song. Still creepy as fuck, though.

Archived