IGNORED

Why Are The Girls Dressed In The Same Style But Not The Men

debrand

I found a blog post about a ball that a family held. The decorations actually look lovely and there house is sweet. The girls all wore the same style Jane Austen dress and the guys wore modern suits. Shouldn't everyone dress in the same era? Also, the young lady's practice of calling the younger kids, The Littles and Twinkies, irritates me for some reason. Maybe I just need more coffee.

lordslass.blogspot.com/2012/01/dancing-in-new-year.html

Scroll down a bit and you will see a group photo

Notice that almost all the women have the exact same dress on but made with different material. Most of the men have on modern suits. Why? Why did all the women pick the same dress pattern? That just seems odd to me.

The one boy on the far left though, has on a rather odd outfit. Maybe he just likes individuality.

Slightly OT. How did they make those paper flower things hanging from the wall?

edited because I thought I had a direct link to the photo but it just went back to the blog

I should add that I've renamed the title of this thread three different times. It is hard to come up with thread titles so early in the morning.

I am adding more to this post. My point in this thread is that I don't understand how the majority of the women picked the same dress style. Wouldn't someone pick something different? Not everyone has the body type that looks good in Jane Austen style clothing.

Are they all so used to thinking like a group that they automatically dress the same?

Because fall-fronts are too defrauding?

W395j.jpg

:lol: Weren't they worn pretty darn tight? The girls might actually need the fans that are shown in one of those photos if a handsome young man wore those pants.

Looks like 2 men have the Regency clothes. I am guessing the women are way more into the dressing up than then men anyway, I have thrown balls and all the women dress up and only a few of the men. Another reason is you can make a basic regency gown (which most of them are wearing because its easiest to sew)for $30 or so in a day. The mens Regency clothes are very expensive and time consuming.(I know because I am considering a Regency 20th anniversary/wedding this year and just for the mans outfit was like $500. Not worth it for something a man might wear only once or a few times at best.

Looks like 2 men have the Regency clothes. I am guessing the women are way more into the dressing up than then men anyway, I have thrown balls and all the women dress up and only a few of the men. Another reason is you can make a basic regency gown (which most of them are wearing because its easiest to sew)for $30 or so in a day. The mens Regency clothes are very expensive and time consuming.(I know because I am considering a Regency 20th anniversary/wedding this year and just for the mans outfit was like $500. Not worth it for something a man might wear only once or a few times at best.

I actually like the Regency dresses. However, can women who are very large uptop wear them? It looks like something only smaller breasted women could wear without spilling out of. I would love a Regency wedding but I have friends who are quite busty.

Also, is there any way to make it look slightly goth? My daughter loves dark imagery and wears mainly black or darker colors.

I actually like the Regency dresses. However, can women who are very large uptop wear them? It looks like something only smaller breasted women could wear without spilling out of. I would love a Regency wedding but I have friends who are quite busty.

Also, is there any way to make it look slightly goth? My daughter loves dark imagery and wears mainly black or darker colors.

All the ones pictured here are a bit more modest than the norm. You want it more lowcut and somewhat spilling out, and I now wear a C/D bra size and I would be showing those bad boys off.http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/regency/tips/

I just checked Etsy, there are some dark ones (navy blue and maroon) listed and they look nice so you could totally do black or a dark color if that is what you wanted.

All the ones pictured here are a bit more modest than the norm. You want it more lowcut and somewhat spilling out, and I now wear a C/D bra size and I would be showing those bad boys off.http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/regency/tips/

I just checked Etsy, there are some dark ones (navy blue and maroon) listed and they look nice so you could totally do black or a dark color if that is what you wanted.

hmmmm....two years will be my 25th wedding anniversary. We were married on Halloween(my favorite day of the year) I'd never really thought about a celebration being in my budget but now I realize that it might be. My brother has land and a beautiful cabin. He might let me hold the event on his property. I will have to think this through but my mind is running with ideas.

The bigger problem with larger breasts is that you're at greater risk of being mistaken for pregnant :P I think it's because the style generally involves just gathering the material below the bust and letting it fall, which is fine if there's, say, a 5" difference between bust and waist measurement, but a bit more problematic when it's a 10" difference.

hmmmm....two years will be my 25th wedding anniversary. We were married on Halloween(my favorite day of the year) I'd never really thought about a celebration being in my budget but now I realize that it might be. My brother has land and a beautiful cabin. He might let me hold the event on his property. I will have to think this through but my mind is running with ideas.

LOL, I have tons of plans for a "daytime,Regency dance and tea". My best friend and I are thinking mismatched English looking china from Goodwill, a long table set up outside, lots of flowers and cute food on tiers...We are out of control and I haven;t said for sure we are doing it. :dance:

LOL, I have tons of plans for a "daytime,Regency dance and tea". My best friend and I are thinking mismatched English looking china from Goodwill, a long table set up outside, lots of flowers and cute food on tiers...We are out of control and I haven;t said for sure we are doing it. :dance:

If you do, post photos. :dance:

I should add that I've renamed the title of this thread three different times. It is hard to come up with thread titles so early in the morning.

I am adding more to this post. My point in this thread is that I don't understand how the majority of the women picked the same dress style. Wouldn't someone pick something different? Not everyone has the body type that looks good in Jane Austen style clothing.

Are they all so used to thinking like a group that they automatically dress the same?

I think they all probably used the same or similar Mcalls or Simplicity pattern. It's also the simplest one to make and can be done quickly. Once you start adding seams and pleats it become a lot more difficult.

The women's dresses are probably also cheaper because the women are expected to be able to sew, alter, and adapt an existing dress or a not-quite-right dress into something they can wear. The men would have no idea where to begin - because obviously that's women's work - so their clothes would need to be pretty good to avoid looking stupid.

lordslass.blogspot.com/2012/01/dancing-in-new-year.html

Scroll down a bit and you will see a group photo

I'll blame it on my eyesight, but when I first skimmed that link I thought it said lardass.blogspot.com

The bigger problem with larger breasts is that you're at greater risk of being mistaken for pregnant :P I think it's because the style generally involves just gathering the material below the bust and letting it fall, which is fine if there's, say, a 5" difference between bust and waist measurement, but a bit more problematic when it's a 10" difference.

A big part of the point of the style was to show off how flat a woman's stomach was, so having bigger breasts put you at an advantage, corset-wise!

I'll blame it on my eyesight, but when I first skimmed that link I thought it said lardass.blogspot.com

I thought it said lordsass :)

LOL - me too.

I'm rather amazed that they were able to gather a fair number of both men and women to participate in a full on ball, with dancing and whatnot. There are no men in my family or friends who would willingly go along with a similar plan. The closest they will come is dressing up for a wedding and/or funeral.

Some of the men in those pictures are wearing "Regency" clothing. I put that in quotes because it is inaccurate. Most of them seem to be wearing loose, puffy breeches. Nope, nope, nope! Mens breeches and trousers (for trousers came into fashion around that time) were TIGHT. Take a peek at the first image on the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regency_fashions on Regency fashion (the one of a family playing checkers) and you'll see how tight trousers were. If you scroll down to the menswear section, there are more pictures. Again, all the pictures that show the full body have tight breeches or trousers.

Of course, to a person of the Regency era, many of those women were wearing ridiculously high-cut gowns, especially the young women. Regency people liked boobies, and young unmarried women showed them off, especially in their evening wear. And then, of course, is their hair... :roll:

I still don't get the whole fundie regency-obsession thing. Why do fundie families insist on hosting these goofy events? Sigh. I love the many courtship stories I've read over the years where the young lady says "I first laid eyes on Biff at our family's annual regency ball." WTF. Also, why is reading "Twilight" so bad if the whole point of a regency ball is to feel all pampered and pur-dy at a party and enjoy the gluttony of one-time-wear clothes and how lovely your fellow churchies look dressed as Dickens characters?

I don't see God at all in these events. I see grown-ups looking foolish playing dress-up.

I would love to have a Regency ball. The umpire waist is very flattering.

Nitpicky issues with the pictures: I would have at least tried to stick to colours and patterns that were similar or evocative of the period. Where are the pastels? It's a hot mess. The fan was tacky and the dresses had no trimmings, no ribbons...no anything. Boring.

Someone asked about the bust and whether it would work with a larger bust. Yes, it would but you have to keep in mind that it might be a bit...much for modern taste. Having large, noticeable breasts was the style on young unmarried women. It was husband catching 101 and basically (in my opinion) started with the Tudors and was stopped with the styles that arrived after the Regency. Louis XVI's grandfather apparently asked if Marie Antoinette had nice bosoms as that was the first thing he looked for. I don't think it was intended to be a pervy thing to say as their relationship is said to have been very filial, but it kind of gives an idea of priorities in that regard. That being said in the Regency period there were more build up dresses with fabric that covered the bust area but they were mostly worn by older married women and old spinsters.

I still don't get the whole fundie regency-obsession thing. Why do fundie families insist on hosting these goofy events? Sigh. I love the many courtship stories I've read over the years where the young lady says "I first laid eyes on Biff at our family's annual regency ball." WTF. Also, why is reading "Twilight" so bad if the whole point of a regency ball is to feel all pampered and pur-dy at a party and enjoy the gluttony of one-time-wear clothes and how lovely your fellow churchies look dressed as Dickens characters?

I don't see God at all in these events. I see grown-ups looking foolish playing dress-up.

I'm very fond of regency fashion and wish the fundies would get out of my playground! I keep finding blogs full of pretty pictures...interspersed with irrelevant fundie-style moralizing. I always thought it was odd, too, considering that in comparison to other historical fashion eras, regency dresses were much more scandalous, more revealing, and less restrictive. You could actually see what shape a woman was, and some cleavage too, and IIRC the corset went out of fashion for a while. AFAIK the victorians thought the whole era was shameful. Honestly I think it's more ridiculous romanticizing of a past they have completely failed to understand, coupled with the fact that regency dresses are comparatively practical, comfortable, and easy to sew.

Archived