IGNORED

S/O Feed the Duggars right

ladypuglover

I challenge everyone here to give cheap and easy but healthy recipes that could feed a Duggar sized crowd. Hopefully since Smuggar lurks here we might have a fighting chance of introducing some meals that doesn't cause heart attacks.

Some ground rules. Must be food that is low in cost and bonus points if each serving is under 5 dollars. Must be able to be prepared by one of the jslaves as you know Michelle isn't standing behind the stove, so no alcohol in recipe or taking 8 hours to prepare. Must be able to feed at least 16 adults because we don't know if Jackson on down is eating adult size portions yet. Try to follow their beliefs of no pork and other Lev. rules. (I don't know if they follow any of them but pretend they do.) Assume they don't know every step or tool needed so make sure to explain what is needed to julienne carrots. Also just linking to allrecipes.com or taste of home is fine as any other but try to break up the links by removing the http://www. part of the addy. You will not be limited to just meals, snacks, drinks and desserts are fair game too.

Now I'm going to try to see if I can find something tasty but cheap that would feed a small army.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no luck but I just looked at the "cooking for crowds" section of a church cookbook I bought about 20 years ago and it would do a Duggar proud (lots of canned soups and fake cheese).

I suppose you could try to make TTC less unhealthy (but still not healthy) by adding some frozen veg, making sure the ground meat is lean, and the creamed soups low sodium (could maintain the cost by buying on sale). Oh, and by replacing those horrid tater tots with cooked whole grain noodles.

Yogurt

Buy 1 gallon of milk - bonus points if you buy organic milk. Pasteurized but NOT ultra.

Pour milk into giant ass crock pot (we know they have one)

Turn on low - leave for 3 1/2 -4 hours

Turn off - leave for 3 hours

Come back, Mix in one small store bought yogurt (stonyfield farm is what I use) with the longest expiration date you can find. Must be plain and have active cultures. Bonus points for throwing in one pill of florastor or align

Wrap crock pot in blankets and leave overnight. In the morning, drain off liquid on top (give to dogs) and mix in with fresh fruit for breakfast or a snack. Leave longer for stronger tasting yogurt.

Mix with frozen fruit in a blender for a smoothie.

Okay, fine.

A side dish: mashed cauliflower.

1. Buy some cauliflower. It looks like white broccoli. It's in a section of the store full of things you don't eat, they're called vegetables. It might say "Produce", just go with it.

2. Boil the cauliflower. This means cook it in a pan of water that is boiling. You will know it's boiling because bubbles will be popping in the water. Do NOT add soap to make bubbles, the water will make it's own bubbles, just turn on the stove and try not to watch it too much.

3. Using a fork try to pick up a piece of cauliflower by stabbing it. Don't put your hand in the water, it's hot! If you successfully stabbed the cauliflower put it back in, cook it longer. If it falls off the fork turn off the stove.

4. Drain the cauliflower using a colander. A colander is a bowl with tiny holes in it. You probably use one when you make Chicken-eti.

5. Put the cauliflower in a bowl without holes in it. Add a stick of butter. I'm serious. Use a fork or a masher to smush it up. When it's all smushed up add some cream or milk, but not too much. Smush it some more.

6. Salt and pepper to taste, then eat it.

My favourite recipe that suits large crowds is suuuuper simple and really tasty and reasonably healthy! I only make this in summer when tomatoes are in season, and I buy chicken breasts on special

Chicken ceasar wraps

8 skinless chicken breasts, baked (bake for about 20 minutes)

1/2 bottle ceasar salad dressing

2 sticks celery chopped small

1 punnet cherry tomatoes halved (or regular tomatoes chopped finely)

2 large carrots chopped small

1 large cucumber peeled and chopped small

walnuts (optional)

grated cheese or parmesan to taste

20 tortilla wraps

Dice (chop into little squares) the cooked and cooled chicken breasts. Mix with all other ingrediants in a large bowl. Slice the tortilla wraps in half and spoon a tablespoon of the mix onto each half. Roll and pin closed with a toothpick.

Makes 40 wraps.

As the fundies would say, wa-la!

Banana Nut Bread

(makes one loaf but can easily be multiplied for more loaves)

1 cup honey

2 eggs

1/2 cup (one stick) softened butter

1 1/2 cups flour (whole wheat is fine :) )

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1 tsp vanilla

3 very ripe bananas

Combine honey, eggs, and butter. Sift together all of the dry ingredients (except for the walnuts), and combine with the honey/egg/butter mix in a bowl (an electric hand mixer on low to medium for a minute should do the trick). Mix in walnuts, vanilla, and bananas, making sure everything is evenly distributed throughout the batter. Pour into a greased loaf pan (I usually use butter for greasing when baking) and bake at 375 for about an hour. Make sure to use the toothpick test before taking it out of the oven! This banana bread should come out fantastically moist.

Okay, fine.

1. Buy some cauliflower. It looks like white broccoli. It's in a section of the store full of things you don't eat, they're called vegetables. It might say "Produce", just go with it.

2. Boil the cauliflower. This means cook it in a pan of water that is boiling. You will know it's boiling because bubbles will be popping in the water. Do NOT add soap to make bubbles, the water will make it's own bubbles, just turn on the stove and try not to watch it too much.

3. Using a fork try to pick up a piece of cauliflower by stabbing it. Don't put your hand in the water, it's hot! If you successfully stabbed the cauliflower put it back in, cook it longer. If it falls off the fork turn off the stove.

4. Drain the cauliflower using a colander. A colander is a bowl with tiny holes in it. You probably use one when you make Chicken-eti.

5. Put the cauliflower in a bowl without holes in it. Add a stick of butter. I'm serious. Use a fork or a masher to smush it up. When it's all smushed up add some cream or milk, but not too much. Smush it some more.

If I run my water through a fizzy machine, does that mean it's boiling? :lol:

But seriously, thanks for that recipe, I've got a cauli in my fridge waiting my inspiration to strike! (I know I'm seriously lazy)

terranova, I just might have to make your tortilla wraps for a potluck baby shower I'm going to.

terranova, I just might have to make your tortilla wraps for a potluck baby shower I'm going to.

I took them to my own babyshower and they were a bit hit :)

Vegetarian black bean chilli over brown rice with cornbread and topped with yogurt instead of velveeta. At the most $2 a serving. Use the leftovers for burritos for lunch the next day.

Banana Nut Bread

(makes one loaf but can easily be multiplied for more loaves)

1 cup honey

2 eggs

1/2 cup (one stick) softened butter

1 1/2 cups flour (whole wheat is fine :) )

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1 tsp vanilla

3 very ripe bananas

Combine honey, eggs, and butter. Sift together all of the dry ingredients (except for the walnuts), and combine with the honey/egg/butter mix in a bowl (an electric hand mixer on low to medium for a minute should do the trick). Mix in walnuts, vanilla, and bananas, making sure everything is evenly distributed throughout the batter. Pour into a greased loaf pan (I usually use butter for greasing when baking) and bake at 375 for about an hour. Make sure to use the toothpick test before taking it out of the oven! This banana bread should come out fantastically moist.

I have 4 bananas I was going to throw out! Bread tomorrow!

They should just buy the cookbook "More with Less" (or "Extending the Table"). The whole point of those cookbooks is providing nutritious food for cheap. They have tonnes of recipes where you can feed people for between twenty five cents (pea soup) to a dollar per person. I know the Duggars are a big family, but they could have real hot meals using real whole foods for less than thirty dollars.

If you don't feel like making the bread tomorrow, just throw them in your freezer, skins and all. Thaw as needed. If you have containment issues, I suggest a plastic bag, but it isn't really necessay. I used to spice banana muffins up with Penzey's (Mana!!!!) baking spice, but Her Maj prefers plainer fare.

My current obsession, which I posted about in another thread: roasted green beans

2lbs fresh green beans (currently 2lbs/$3 at my supermarket)

1-2 tsp. olive oil

1-1.5 tsp. kosher salt (I'm a bit of a salt fiend, so I up this figure a bit!)

1 tsp. pepper

Layer beans in a single layer on a jelly roll pan(s). Lightly coat with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, turning beans over 15 minutes into cooking time.

Italian Chicken and Peppers

Ingredients

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes

4 medium green peppers, cut into strips

4 medium onions, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

7 1/2 cups Prego® Fresh Mushroom Italian Sauce

Hot cooked spaghetti

Directions

1. Heat oil in saucepot. Add chicken and cook until browned and done, stirring often.

2. Add peppers, onions and garlic and cook until tender. Add pasta sauce and heat through. Serve over spaghetti

Serves 15

Spinach Salad

Ingredients

1/2 cup diced red onion

1-1/3 cups white sugar

2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1 teaspoon celery salt

2 tablespoons mustard powder

2 cups vegetable oil

2/3 cup white wine vinegar (this is ok as it is not wine! No alcohol! Safe for Duggars!)

8 eggs

1-1/4 pounds fresh spinach - chopped, washed and dried

2 heads iceberg lettuce - rinsed, dried, and chopped

1 pound bacon - cooked and crumbled

3 cups crushed croutons

2 red onion, sliced in rings

Directions

1. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover completely with cold water. Bring water to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.

2. In a small saucepan, combine the diced onion, sugar, black pepper, celery salt, mustard, vegetable oil, and vinegar. Whisk over high heat until all ingredients are well mixed and onions are translucent. Remove from heat and refrigerate until cool.

3. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, spinach, iceberg, bacon, croutons and onion rings. Toss together.

4. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat evenly.

serves 16

dessert

Ingredients

3 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

3/4 cup butter, melted

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

4 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed

1 (3 ounce) package cook and serve vanilla pudding

1 cup milk

1 (16 ounce) can blueberry pie filling

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Pat into bottom of a 9x13 inch pan.

3. Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). For 10 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool.

4. In a sauce pan, mix pudding with milk and cook according to package directions. It will be very stiff.

5. In a large bowl, mix pudding and cream cheese together until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over cooled graham cracker crust.

6. Top with fruit filling. Refrigerate until served.

serves 18

My current obsession, which I posted about in another thread: roasted green beans

1-2 tsp. olive oil

1 tsp. pepper

Layer beans in a single layer on a jelly roll pan(s). Lightly coat with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, turning beans over 15 minutes into cooking time.

AH! Doing this!

Now that I go to submit, I see experienedd posted this, but here's some specifics.

TVP Chilli on Polenta.

I cook for no more than four people, but this is cheap, healthy and affordable.

The night before, I'd soak red kidney and black beans in anticipation of supper the next night.

I make the polenta in the microwave per the corn meal recipe on the package. For that many people, you'd have to make it on a pot on the stovetop. I substitute skim milk for 1/2 of the liquid to make it a bit richer, and I add lots of raw, finely minced onion to add extra flavor, but you could easily just throw in cheapy onion powder, too. So then you have the base on which to serve the chilli, like potatoes on which you'd serve a meat gravy. (I don't shape or fry the polenta, though some people do.) If you're preparing it a day in advance, you can soak the corn meal in the liquid overnight in the fridge to cut down on the cooking time a little.

(This was back before I started eating a LOT of soy and became nearly completely intolerant of it, and my thyroid turned off with no help from the soy.)

I'd boil the beans and get them largely cooked, ready to throw into the chili. With just the two of us, it was also just as easy to used canned beans to cut down on the prep time.

Open a big can of stewed or diced or some kind of tomato, and if you don't want to spend the money on tomato juice, I used tomato paste and add water to add extra flavor to the chili. You can also add more or less of a particular item, depending on your tastes. It's not rocket science, just stovetop chili to feed hungry people. I usually eyeballed the amount of TVP I needed which reconstitutes very quickly. With some experience, I knew how much chili spice I liked, so I liked to add it in with the TVP to give it extra flavor. I like lots of coarsely diced onion and put them in early as well so that they would meld with the TVP. Not a big fan of peppers, I never added them, but they are a traditional. If I had extra carrot on hand or if I had carrot pulp left from juicing, I would throw no more than a full cup of carrot pulp into the pot, too, just for the extra nutrition. I liked it better with only a half cup of carrot for a pot for four people. More than that messed up the taste for me, making it a bit too sweet. Throw in the beans and let it all stew awhile.

When it's stewed for an hour or two on low heat, you can get the polenta ready which takes only about 15 minutes in the microwave from start to finish, but on the stove, I'd get it ready and started about an hour before I needed it.

Serve the chili on top of the polenta, and you can add extras if you want. I grew to like yogurt cheese on top (what people now know as Greek yogurt which I used to strain myself). Cheddar in moderation is always nice, too, and chopped green onions/scallions make it look pretty.

Serve with some steamed veggie on sale that week or available at the farmer's market. I never found anything that didn't go well with it, save for asparagus or Brussels sprouts. Everything else seemed to go quite well, though I avoided another bean because it was already heavy on the bean protein.

It's cheap, flavorful, and it's loaded with protein and fiber. You don't have to spend time cooking the meat when you use TVP crumbles or chunks, and you can easily throw in your own meat if you want to flavor it up a bit.

If I had a big family, I'd make this once per week.

This is one of our favorite things:

[link=http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2009/11/slow-cooker-southwest-chicken-stacks.html]Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Stacks[/link]

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups frozen corn

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

2 large frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)

1 1/2 cups salsa

DIRECTIONS:

Lightly grease the bottom and sides of the slow cooker. Pour frozen corn into the bottom of the slow cooker and place the frozen chicken breasts on top. Cover with beans and salsa. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with forks. Return to the slow cooker and stir until the chicken, corn, beans and salsa are combined.

ETA: Clearly the amounts can be changed to feed a number of people. To feed our family of 6 I use about 6-8 breasts, 2-3 cans of beans, a large bag of corn, and more salsa.

Serve on a bed of tortilla chips and top with additional garnishes: lettuce, tomato, avocado, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, lime wedges, etc.

It will be great, I promise! I make this all the time and have passed on the recipe before to friends who've had equal success- it's so easy and a relatively healthy "dessert" (or breakfast).

Okay, fine.

Surely you jest :o No way on God's earth would I eat that even if I was starving to death!!!!!elenty11

1-2 tsp. olive oil

1 tsp. pepper

This can also be done with fresh or frozen brussels sprouts, Duggars! (Add a little garlic or some bacon if you're feeling adventurous).

Chicken Stew with Biscuits... Because I know they like comfort food! They could make it with turkey instead of chicken--just wait till turkeys go on sale for like 30 cents a pound after Thanksgiving and there ya go. Super frugal. Cut the meat down and use more veggies and it's even healthier!

3 lb chicken

salt and pepper

4 T butter

1 large diced onion

1/2 c flour

1 1/2 c hot water

1 1/2 c chicken stock

2 c mushrooms, quartered

2 carrots, chopped

2 handfuls green beans, cut into 3/4" pieces

1 t dried thyme

1 t salt

1/2 t pepper

1 batch biscuit dough

Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then melt the butter in a large pan. Add the chicken, then cook for 3-5 minutes without stirring, then toss and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the meat from the pan, and add the onions. Cook until slightly softened, then sprinkle with the flour and cook for a minute, then whisk in the water and stock. Bring to a boil, then add meat back to the pan with the vegetables, thyme, salt and pepper.

Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, while you mix up the biscuit dough. Preheat the oven to 400. Pour the chicken and gravy into an oven safe casserole dish, then plop the dough on top in meatball sized balls. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

Biscuits:

2 c whole wheat flour

1 tsp salt

2 1/2 t baking powder

1/3 c butter

2/3 c milk of choice

Surely you jest :o No way on God's earth would I eat that even if I was starving to death!!!!!elenty11

Too much butter? You could probably skip like 3/4 of it. I don't think the Duggar's palate would deal well without it though.

They taste like mashed potatoes, btw. I started eating it rather than mashed potatoes on a diet once and fell in love with it.

Archived