IGNORED

S/O Feed the Duggars right

ladypuglover

Go to the grocery store and buy a butt load of any and all fresh veggies that are on sale. My personal favorites are zucchini / yellow squash, mushrooms, onions, cherry tomatoes, carrots, kale, bell peppers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus (the best of all) and cauliflower. But, if it is a vegetable, it will work. Go with what is on sale, in bulk, and suits your tastes. It's nearly impossibly to create a 'bad' mix of fresh vegetables. They all go with each other.

Take them home, wash them up and cut them up into bite sized pieces, or dice if you like them smaller.

Cook up a few pounds of dry, whole wheat or egg pasta. While it's bubbling away, saute all those fresh chopped veggies in olive oil with a bit of butter and maybe some garlic. Do it in batches if you have so much you can't fit it all in one pan. Or, skip the pan and oil and just steam them. If you use tomatoes, only have them over heat for just enough time to warm them up, do not actually cook them into soggy blobs.

Drain the pasta and put it back in the pot or in a giant serving bowl. Add the veggies to the pasta. Add salt & pepper to taste, toss it all up. Add some grated Parmesan cheese. Toss some more. Serve with a green salad and / or some garlic bread or warm Italian bread.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh, the lettuce and avocado above reminded me of another really quick and easy snack or light lunch... Take a big ol' romaine lettuce leaf, add about a quarter to a half of a mashed avocado, some alfalfa sprouts, cilantro (do you guys think I might love cilantro just a bit?!), wrap it up and enjoy! Yummy. Nice and crunchy. :)

Lasagna: Reduce meat by half and replace with mushrooms, zucchini, and spinach. Or get rid of the meat completely and throw in some diced eggplant too!

Go to the grocery store and but a butt load of any and all fresh veggies that are on sale. My personal favorites are zucchini / yellow squash, mushrooms, onions, cherry tomatoes, carrots, kale, bell peppers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus (the best of all) and cauliflower. But, if it is a vegetable, it will work. Go with what is on sale, in bulk, and suits your tastes. It's nearly impossibly to create a 'bad' mix of fresh vegetables. They all go with each other.

Take them home, wash them up and cut them up into bite sized pieces, or dice if you like them smaller.

Cook up a few pounds of dry, whole wheat or egg pasta. While it's bubbling away, saute all those fresh chopped veggies in olive oil with a bit of butter and maybe some garlic. Do it in batches if you have so much you can't fit it all in one pan. Or, skip the pan and oil and just steam them. If you use tomatoes, only have them over heat for just enough time to warm them up, do not actually cook them into soggy blobs.

Drain the pasta and put it back in the pot or in a giant serving bowl. Add the veggies to the pasta. Add salt & pepper to taste, toss it all up. Add some grated Parmesan cheese. Toss some more. Serve with a green salad and / or some garlic bread or warm Italian bread.

Um they're gonna need help with the garlic. Really, these folks are simpletons :lol:

Um they're gonna need help with the garlic. Really, these folks are simpletons :lol:

They can buy jars of minced garlic in the produce department. But, I do realize a produce department with fresh vegetables and fruits is probably kind of out of the realm too. They could do this with bags of frozen veggies if they need to. Hell, that's exactly what I did for my own dinner tonight. It works, in a pinch for me, but for them it would be a few steps up from canned veggies, cream soups and tater tots.

Tofu pate, firm silken tofu pressed and drained. Put it into a food processor with a clove of garlic, some smoked paprika, chives, grated carrot and a box of drained (uncooked) chopped frozen spinach and a teaspoon of curry. Process it until creamy. Use it as a dip for pita chips or veggies or on crackers as a spread.

My Mum used to make that when we were kids and not tell us it was tofu. It was fricking amazing stuff.

ladypuglovers favorite guacamole recipe

This recipe is really a eyeball/by taste measuring recipe you may need to tweek to suit personal taste.

1 avacado per 2 people. So if you are making it for 20 people then 10 avacados or even 12.

1/2 roma tomato per 2 people. same as above.

1/4 red or purple onion per 2 people, make sure it is a sweet onion.

2 limes

sea salt

1-2 bunches of cilantro

Cut avacados in half and use a spoon to scoop out the avacados after removing the pit. Save pit for a fun science project with younger siblings. Using a fork, mash the avacados in a large bowl. Some chunks are ok but try not to mash so much it looks like baby food. finely chop tomatoes and add to the mashed avacado but don't mix yet. finely chop the onion and add to mixture to taste. Meaning if you like a lot of onion then add a lot, same with adding less. Mix carefully as not to bruise the tomatos, they don't deserve to be beaten up. Very finely chop up one bunch of cilantro, gently mix in. Cut one lime in half and gently add some juice. Start off with just a little and taste with a chip to see if it is enough. With a huge crowd 1-2 limes maybe needed. Grind a small amount of sea salt and again after mixing in taste to see if it is enough. I make this so often that taste testing is not needed. serve with either baked potato chips or baked taco chips. after learning to do this recipe it is very easy to make on a very large scale.

During holiday season, buy a boatload of frozen turkeys. They are very cheap at that time. Store them in your commercial freezer.

For dinner, roast two 12-14 pounders in your convection oven. Bake some potatoes in the other oven. You can also use sweet potatoes or yams. The potatoes can be served with cheap salsa or for the sweet potatoes, a little cinnamon and butter.

This is getting popular, these days. Serve iceberg lettuce wedges with whatever salad dressing you have.

For other meals, buy bags of beans and use the recipes on the bag.

Simple fried rice can be a really great meal, too, using Braggs liquid aminos instead of soy sauce to cut back on the sodium.

You can throw in those already diced frozen veggies, use good brown Basmati rice which has a little extra protein in it, and add bits of meat, whatever you have left over. They could even eat chow mein noodles on the side. Since they're into the frozen food type of thing, they could get frozen chicken nuggets in some obscenely large bag and mix up an orange juice and corn starch coating with sesame oil for the nuggets if it wasn't enough of a meal for them, but I've made plain fried rice as a meal with leftover meats quite often -- when there wasn't quite enough meat left over to do anything with..

I don't understand why they don't use more egg recipes. There are some in those bisquick books that are pretty good as well. You put bisquick in with milk and lots of egg, and it makes a nice base that is not full of all of that garbage canned soup stuff that I cannot even eat, even from the healthfood store. You make most of them in the blender and then it bakes around the other items. You can make your own basic baking mix in bulk and use it instead of the mix -- you don't have to buy the pre-made stuff which has some oils in it that you may not want.

During holiday season, buy a boatload of frozen turkeys. They are very cheap at that time. Store them in your commercial freezer.

For dinner, roast two 12-14 pounders in your convection oven. Bake some potatoes in the other oven. You can also use sweet potatoes or yams. The potatoes can be served with cheap salsa or for the sweet potatoes, a little cinnamon and butter.

This is getting popular, these days. Serve iceberg lettuce wedges with whatever salad dressing you have.

For other meals, buy bags of beans and use the recipes on the bag.

White meat turkey is the best protein bargain for the money next to eggs. I do this very thing for my husband and I and then freeze turkey bits in stock and gravy and big chunks of white meat that I cut up for pasta salads in the spring (with apples and grapes and half light mayo and half fat free sour cream with curry powder).

But here's the problem: You'd have to pick the bird, and I don't know that anyone at the Duggar homestead is into picking the meat off of the bird. Can you see the howler monkeys doing it?

Muligatawny is great by the way.

This is what I'd do if I had a large family. I cook a 12 lb turkey for myself once/month, it feeds me for a week.

My biggest suggestion is to buy a whole chicken. It costs less then cuts of chicken. I was able to get a 5 lb chicken this week for under $5. I cook mine in a romertopf clay oval thing. I got it from goodwill for $10. It keeps the chicken and veggies nice a moist without making them soggy. I buy veggies that are on sale. Carrots, onions and celery are always inexpensive so they are a staple in my diet. This week cauliflower was on sale so I am going to do mashed cauliflower for a side. I know its not a recipe but its still an example of how to get wholesome food on a budget. You do have to look for sales. You have to create meals based on what is on sale. You may sacrifice what you want to eat for what you can find on sale.

TTC the healthy way! Serves 4

3 fresh chicken breasts or equiv weight in turkey breast meat.

1/2lb mushrooms

4 cloves of garlic

Tablespoon of double cream

1/2 carton of fat free yoghurt

Chicken stock

black pepper

veggies of choice

2 medium sized potatoes

Low fat milk

Brown the meat, garlic and mushrooms in one dessert spoon of coconut oil, then set the pot on a low heat and leave until cooked through. Par boil the potatoes and veggies (broccoli and green beans work well). Add one dessert spoon full of flour to the chicken mix and stir to make a roux. Add cream and yoghurt, then add stock and milk slowly, stirring all the time. Return to heat and cook until thickened. Add half teaspoon of ground black pepper and the veggies. Place in a casserole dish and top with sliced par boiled potatoes and put in a medium high oven until potatoes are golden brown. Serve and enjoy! You can also serve this with basmati rice in place of the potatoes, just leave out the oven cook part.

Proper curry!

1 of chopped tomatoes (you can use fresh if you wish)

3 chicken breasts (or turkey if you wish)

1/2pt of stock

1/2 carton of fat free yoghurt

1 tablespoon of double cream

4/5 cloves of garlic

1 chopped chilli

spices:

Fresh coriander

ground coriander seed

cumin

garam masala

tikka powder

ginger

Brown the chicken in coconut oil then cut on a low heat. Add one tablespoon of tikka powder (you can pre-marinate the chicken if you wish).

In a blender put tomatoes, a good handful of fresh coriander leaves, 1 dessert spoon of ground coriander, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 2 teaspoons of garam masala, garlic, 1 teaspoon of ginger (fresh or ground), 1 hot chilli, stock, the cream and yoghurt. Blitz.

Add the curry sauce to the chicken, add whatever veg you like, place in a med oven for 1.5 hours or cook on stove top for 20 mins (oven gives a thicker, richer sauce and more tender chicken). For a mutton curry, cook in a low to med oven for 3.5 hours.

Serve with pilau rice and fresh naan.

Pilau rice;

2 cups of basmati rice (sorry folks, American long grain does not cut it)

Pinch of turmeric

Teaspoon of cumin and ginger

4 cloves

6 cardamom pods

cinnamon bark

nob of butter/ghee

Thoroughly rinse the rice then put everything in an oven proof dish. Add enough boiling water to cover rice by 1 inch. Cover with a lid and place in med oven for 20 mins, remove lid for last 5 mins if you want a buttery crust on top of the rice, serve.

Okay they should have done this when they moved into their new house years ago. Have the BOYS plant some trees in the back yard (since they do all the outside chores right?) Apple, cherry, avocado, lemon, almond, walnut, fig. Then every year the boys can harvest and if there's any leftovers I guess the Jslaves can can it up.

Surely you jest :o No way on God's earth would I eat that even if I was starving to death!!!!!elenty11

I thought that too a few years ago. Then I tried it. Mashed cauliflower is now one of my favorite dishes. Sounds awful. Tastes good!

Here is an easy quick meal.

Scramble eggs.

Cook ground sausage.

Put out on the counter tortillas, sourcream(can be low fat), cheese, salsa and onions.

Let kids make their own breakfast burritos.

You can make this for dinner even though it is called breakfast burritos. It is cheap.

Baked Ziti (Easy) Feeds 20 Prep 20 min. Bake 40 min. Filling and satisfying and doesn't contain paraffin.

Ingredients:

5 Boxes Ziti pasta

8 pounds ground beef

5 LARGE jars spaghetti sauce

3 pounds mozzerella cheese

Boil 5 boxes Ziti pasta

In Skillet brown 8 pounds of ground beef

When Ziti and beef are cooked add to baking dishes

Pour Spaghetti sauce over pasta and beef

Sprinkle with Mozzerella cheese

Bake at 375 for 35-40 min.

If they (Michelle) weren't so lazy, they could have chickens at home. They are not a big problem. You separate them, pull up a fence, a few chicken coops, feed them, water them and there you go. They lay eggs, they hang around, they are very easygoing fellas. I don't exactly know what holds them back from having a garden and poultry around the house. Not much trouble for so many people!

Pork in the Red Sea (They eat Ham so I'm sure they can eat pork) Prep. 10 Min. Bake: 2-4 hours

Ingredients:

Large Pork Roast

Several cans of Red Clam Sauce

Put large pork roast (the largest you can find to feed 20) in roasting pan,

Pour several cans of Red Clam Sauce over pork into pan

Bake until done

Okay they should have done this when they moved into their new house years ago. Have the BOYS plant some trees in the back yard (since they do all the outside chores right?) Apple, cherry, avocado, lemon, almond, walnut, fig. Then every year the boys can harvest and if there's any leftovers I guess the Jslaves can can it up.

Yeah really. They could have even come up with a new motto: Grow your own and save the difference.

Healthy Hungry Stoner Recipe (Quick and Easy)

Whole Wheat Bagels

Flavored Cream Cheese of Choice

Touch of Honey over Cream Cheese if especially stoned.

Some of these recipes look really good, I might have to copy them down. But I'd point out that the Duggars' taste run to bland and basic. They didn't like Ethiopian food, and you don't see them cooking with much spice in their recipes.

I'd definitely recommend them get into the habit of serving roast chicken. You roast a chicken in some herbs, maybe some oil and butter and put some vegetables underneath to cook in the fat. One chicken serves approximately 8 people (and that's adults), give or take so cook off 3. Then the next day pick the meat off the bones to use in soups, burritos, fried rice, salad, chicken salad or casseroles and use the bones to make your own stock, which you can also freeze.

If the duggars got a few slow cookers, maybe 2-3 they could do all kinds of cheap and delicious foods. You can make chicken barbecue by putting chicken breasts or theighs in a slow cooker with a mix of barbecue and broth. Or even pork shoulder is pretty cheap and make pork barbecue or carnitas.

We're big into making tomato sauce right now, it's so much cheaper than buying it. We sometimes make it from fresh tomatoes, but that'd be out of the Duggar price range, so we'll use cans. Also, no one yell at me for using potatoes in a tomato sauce recipe, its a really good way of stretching your dollar and it tastes fine, they thicken the sauce and you don't notice the lack of meat as much as you could. Sometimes we use beans but we prefer potatoes and they're cheaper and take less prep ahead of time (remembering to soak, etc.)

-2 large cans of diced tomatoes

-1 large can of tomato puree. These should be no more than 1.10 per can, much less if buying on sale. Buy on sale!

-Cheap veggies. If I was in Northwest Arkansas and making it this week, I'd use the following vegetables, gathered from Harp's and Kroger's in accordance with the flyers for Fayetteville. (See sources below.)

-Green peppers, 2 for 1 dollar. I would buy 6 peppers.

-15 pound bag of potatoes for 4.99

-Bag of onions.

-Ground beef. I couldn't find a good sale on it, so spend no more than 3.00/pound and get no more than 2 pounds.

Place all the tomato products in a large pot on stove. Put heat on low and stir occasionally.

Wash and chop onions and green peppers. Remove the seeds from the green peppers! All pieces should be bite sized or smaller.

Wash and chop potatoes. Potato pieces should be very small. I suggest chopping the potatoes into thin slices and then using a food processor if you have one in that ridiculous industrial kitchen.

Now that everything is chopped, put the onions and green peppers in a pan with a teaspoon of olive oil. Heat until the pieces get smaller and the onions are clear. Add an additional teaspoon of oil if needed.

Check on your tomato pot. Add the potato mixture to the pot and turn up the heat. The potatoes need to be very small so they cook thoroughly. Add the vegetables to the tomato pot after about ten minutes. In the ten minutes between, brown your ground beef in a frying pan, draining off the excess fat and oil. Add the meat to the pot after the vegetables have been in for 10 minutes.

Leave on stove, stirring, until it boils. Bring down to a low heat and test- have the potatoes been cooked? If they're small enough, they should act as a thickener for the sauce. If they're still hard or distinct, continue to heat for another 20 minutes, after which they should be fine. If not, you did not cut them small enough!

Boil the cheapest spaghetti you can find and put it all on a place.

Sources:

(http://krogerdelta.mywebgrocer.com/Circ ... 6/Weekly/2 and http://www.harpsfood.com/WeeklyAd/Page/ ... %20Harps!/)

I was just thinking how this is another case of being so isolated from the world is stunting them - there's the food network, the cooking channel now, and you can even see cooking shows on PBS; the internet is also a giant resource for literally millions of recipes. All family friendly and most likely not defrauding sources of information. I can't imagine living in such an information-free zone.

My biggest suggestion is to buy a whole chicken. It costs less then cuts of chicken. I was able to get a 5 lb chicken this week for under $5. I cook mine in a romertopf clay oval thing. I got it from goodwill for $10. It keeps the chicken and veggies nice a moist without making them soggy. I buy veggies that are on sale. Carrots, onions and celery are always inexpensive so they are a staple in my diet. This week cauliflower was on sale so I am going to do mashed cauliflower for a side. I know its not a recipe but its still an example of how to get wholesome food on a budget. You do have to look for sales. You have to create meals based on what is on sale. You may sacrifice what you want to eat for what you can find on sale.

I've got a 6lb chicken defrosted for dinner tonight. I haven't quite decided on whether I'll stuff it with cornbread or just savoury herbs. But I'm having a guest for dinner and the leftovers will last me a while.

But here's the problem: You'd have to pick the bird, and I don't know that anyone at the Duggar homestead is into picking the meat off of the bird. Can you see the howler monkeys doing it?

A couple of my kids are in the same age group the howlers are. Most kids LOVE to help in the kitchen, especially if you make a game of it. Bonus points if they're allowed to get their hands dirty in the process.

Archived