IGNORED

S/O Feed the Duggars right

ladypuglover

I don't have a name or anything for this recipe, but it's freaking simple, freaking cheap and it doesn't take that long and to be honest.

My husband and I had this for dinner last night, and it probably cost about $5 to feed the both of us:

Potato Quesadillas

Red potatoes, diced

Red Pepper, diced

Onion, diced

Olive Oil

Small tortillas

Chihuahua cheese

Salt

Pepper

Chili Powder (optional)

Cut up the vegetables. Heat olive oil in frying pan, fry the diced potatoes for about 8 minutes. Add the onion, cook until soft, then add bell pepper and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Season generously with salt, pepper and chili powder if you so choose. Remove from pan, set aside.

Take two tortillas and place a little cheese on half each one. Spray a little cooking spray onto pan, place tortillas in pan, put in some of the vegetable filling on top of cheese, then add a little cheese on top of vegetables and fold over the other half of the tortilla. Press down with spatula, and cook each side of quesadilla until browned. Put on warm plate and place in a slightly warmed oven while cooking additional quesadillas. Makes as much or as little as you want.

ETA when to season

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to sketch a cooking course for a bunch of perpetually fatigued and uneducated teenagers who have to work around a pack of useless layabouts, including their own parents--phew.

Here's a stab at it.

WAYS TO MAKE YOUR LIVES EASIER

Before you begin cooking, fill one sink or a large mixing bowl with warm, soapy water. Assign one person the job of scullery maid. As soon as you are done with a dish or a utensil, the scullery maid either washes it or puts it into the soapy water to soak off any burned-on stuff or schmoop. Of course, I'm assuming that you don't have a mechanical dishwasher . . . I hope you do.

Set aside a dirty bowl or pan or a disposable container for the trash that accumulates as you work. Take this container to the kitchen trash can when you are done cooking. Making one trip to the trash saves time and hand-washing.

Minimize chopping, slicing, and so forth. If you are cooking for 20 people, you really need a set of proper chef's knives and the time and training to care for them. I doubt that anybody is going to help you with this. Don't rely on those shoddy supermarket kitchen knives, especially if you don't know how to sharpen them. Blunt knives slow you down and you are actually more likely to get cut using one because they slip. Use pre-chopped ingredients instead. They probably cost more, but your safety and ability to get some rest are the higher priorities here.

Two cutting tools that should be in your kitchen drawer are a pair of all-metal scissors and a large box grater. A box grater is a four-sided grater that has grater holes on two sides, a sort of scraper thing on the third side, and a slicer on the fourth side. Both need to be hand-washed and hand-dried immediately after use.

Read each recipe thoroughly before you start. Try to have everything you need laid out by the stove.

Stick to one-pot meals and build-your-own meals as much as possible to minimize the work. Try to feature the basic food groups at each meal, but don't go further than that; it is not and should not be your job.

A HELP FOR AN UNEDUCATED COOK: BOX DINNERS "PLUS"

My mother taught me just as poorly as your mother. I had to teach myself how to cook. I began with box dinners and instant side dishes. Here is how you turn one of those prepackaged dried dinners into a square meal. I will use Betty Crocker Classic Creamy Broccoli Tuna Helper as an example.

1. Read the directions to find out what you need to add to make the basic box dinner. Betty Crocker Classic Creamy Broccoli Tuna Helper calls for tuna, water, milk, and margarine. To give a better homemade taste, use whole milk for the milk and butter for the margarine if possible.

2. Read the ingredients. Look for basic ingredients that you could buy separately. Here is the ingredients list for Betty Crocker Classic Creamy Broccoli Tuna Helper:

Enriched Pasta, Corn Starch, Salt, Broccoli, Enriched Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Maltodextrin, Sodium Phospate, Corn Syrup, MSG, Natural Flavor, Sugar, Parsley Flakes, Monoglycerides, Yeast Extract, Mustard, Silicon Dioxide, Nonfat Milk.

I highlighted the ingredients you will want to buy in boldface. The other ingredients are the pasta, sauce mix, and preservatives. You don't need more of those.

Vegetables: In general, frozen is tastier than canned. Whether you buy frozen or canned, look for pre-chopped versions. You can find broccoli, tomatoes, onions, sweet peppers, peas, carrots, etc., etc. Aim for 4 cups of vegetables per box dinner or 2 cups per package if you are using an instant side dish in a bag. In this example, that's easy: just buy enough frozen broccoli florets or chopped broccoli (not broccoli spears--they're too big) to make 4 cups per box. To find the number of cups in a container of vegetables, look at the serving size and servings per package in the nutrition information. If the box dinner you pick contains more than one vegetable, you will have to figure out a combination that works out to 4 cups per box or 2 cups per bag. If you want to use fresh carrots, look for "baby-cut" or "baby-peeled" carrots, which are just big carrots peeled and cut into shapes that resemble baby carrots. You can grate or slice these on your box grater; 1 big handful per box dinner should do it. Watch your knuckles!

Cheese: Add 1 cup total of real cheese per box dinner or 1/2 cup per bag. Betty Crocker Classic Creamy Broccoli Tuna Helper doesn't call for any cheese. You may find blue, Cheddar, white Cheddar, ricotta, Parmesan, and/or Romano cheese listed on other box dinners. Parmesan, Romano, and blue cheese are very strong tasting, the other types less so. Compare prices between pre-grated cheese and block cheese; sometimes the pre-grated cheese is cheaper. 2 ounces block cheese makes about 1/2 cup grated cheese.

Seasonings: "Spice" and "spices" are manufacturer's terms for cheap spice extracts. In general, if you see "spice" listed, use black pepper plus paprika; if you see "spices," buy a seasoning blend that is labeled for use in the type of food you are making, such as poultry seasoning for a box of Chicken Helper. Just make sure that the seasoning blend contains no salt. When seasonings are called for by name, such as the mustard in the example, use the dried versions. Make an exception for parsley if you can find fresh, perky bunches of parsley.

3. Multiply the ingredients by the number of box dinners you will need for this meal. Then divide them according to the number of pans you will have to use for cooking. You want each pan to have the same amount of vegetables and so forth.

4. Make the box dinner according to package directions. Add the vegetables right before the step that says "bring to a boil." If they are canned, drain out the liquid into the sink--don't use it. Add the cheese, if any, right after you take off the lid when the simmering time is done. Stir well until the cheese melts. Add the seasonings next. For every kind with a shaker top, use 4 shakes per box or bag. If there is no shaker top, use 1 generous pinch per box or bag. Stir, taste, and add a little more if needed--but only a little at a time; if you put in too much you can't take it out. Add the parsley last of all. If using fresh parsley, rinse the bunch of parsley, hold it over the pot, and snip off the leaves (only) with your scissors in tiny pieces all over the top of the food. Do not stir after adding the parsley.

5. Extra notes: You can substitute an equal weight of canned white beans, rinsed and drained, for tuna or chicken. You can substitute an equal weight of canned red or pinto beans, rinsed and drained, for hamburger. Look at the serving suggestions that are printed on many packages for suggested add-ins; for example, a lot of instant noodle side dishes suggest adding peas. If ham or hot dogs are suggested add-ins, you can probably cut them with a butter knife. If sliced raw meat or chopped vegetables that you can't find pre-chopped are the suggested add-ins, just skip them.

6. Please sit down and rest. Hide in the prayer closet if you have to.

I am seriously going to try out some of these yummy recipes myself!

Being a single mom on a part-time income, I have definitely learned how to pinch pennies on the grocery budget, but still make some healthy dishes. I also grew up in a large family, so I actually learned a lot from the get go about stretching a food dollar while raising healthy kids.

Minestrone soup. I love this soup. It's soooooo good and soooo filling and as a bonus, healthy. I'm doing this from memory, and portions don't need to be exact.

1 onion, chopped finely

2 celery stalks, sliced

2 carrots, peeled and sliced

1 15 oz can whole or chopped tomatoes, pureed in blender

1 C shredded cabbage (I usually go with more, but it's up to the preparer)

1 Tbsp tomato paste

1 15 oz can kidney beans

(*optional - 1 russet potato, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces)

2 cans chicken or veggie stock (your preference)

2 cans water

1 C elbow macaroni

Saute onion and celery in 1 Tbsp olive oil in large soup pot, about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the broth, the carrots, cabbage and the pureed tomatoes and bring to low simmer. Add in tomato paste and kidney beans. Slowly add the two cans of water. (Add potato). Simmer on low for 30 minutes. Add elbow macaroni and cook an additional 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool on the stove for at least 15 minutes before serving.

This is loaded with so much good stuff, that you don't really need to add much more. But I always make a loaf of sourdough french bread to have on the side, plus we like to have fresh fruit with our meals. Strawberries, apple slices, mandarin oranges, whatever I have on hand. This is a very inexpensive meal.

If they (Michelle) weren't so lazy, they could have chickens at home. They are not a big problem. You separate them, pull up a fence, a few chicken coops, feed them, water them and there you go. They lay eggs, they hang around, they are very easygoing fellas. I don't exactly know what holds them back from having a garden and poultry around the house. Not much trouble for so many people!

That's the one thing that shocks me about them. My grandpa grew up on a farm with 9 other brothers and sisters, and the main reason his family had so many kids was because they needed the labor on the farm!

There is no excuse for them...they have more than enough kids to have a large vegetable garden. I know not every kid is an outdoors type, but a lot of kids enjoy being outdoors, learning about plants. The chickens are a great idea too...it would teach the kids how to care for animals.

Btw...IIRC the Duggars don't have pets?

Chicken Soup (Easy)

Get a nice large STEWING hen, from the frozen food department probably. (two if you need more)

Thaw stewing hen, remove giblets, and put in a large pot of cold water. Bring to gentle simmer, let simmer for three or four hours.

While simmering, you can tend children, do laundry, or other chores.

When simmered, remove chicken, let cool to touch. Remove meat from bones and skin. Return to po.

Taste broth for seasoning, adjust to taste.

Add veggies of choice (onion, celery, corn, carrot) in accordance with number of people you plan to feed.

Add noodles (egg or semolina style). At least two boxes. Maybe more.

Taste for seasoning again.

Spoon into bowls and serve. Maybe with a nice french bread and or salad.

Still make this today, freeze the left overs for future meals.

I'd like to add that if the Duggars would spend a little time and effort, they could have chickens and then fresh eggs practically year round. Fairly low overhead: materials to build a chicken coop, laying boxes, chicken feed supplemented with their own fruit and veggie scraps. In return, a nice supply of eggs with which to make omelettes, quiches, fried egg sandwiches, scrambled eggs with leftover ham & sauteed peppers, "fried" rice dishes, etc.

A quick and cheap peanut satay sauce can be made by mixing equal parts teriyaki sauce and peanut butter. Kids will scarf down any stir fry in this sauce. You can serve it over a stir-fried meat and veggie blend and brown rice or other starch.

Baked Chicken Fingers or chicken Nuggets With Honey Mustard dipping sauce to serve alongside. Triple the recipe for Duggars plus Smuggars

2 Cups Panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs) (Aldi has these on sale often, so buy several boxes at a time

2 Tablespoons Canola Oil

1/2 cup all- purpose flour

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (can substitute paprika if kids won't go for a hint of spicy)

3 large egg whites (can use 6 tablespoons of store-bought egg whites to avoid wasting whole eggs- long shelf life)

1 tablespoon water

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (not hot, I promise)

1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

Vegetable oil spray (Pam, etc.)

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast ( I buy when reduced close to sell-by date and make these within 24 hours, then freeze the extra), trimmed and cut into 3/4 inch wide fingers or shorter, squarer but not thicker "nuggets"

salt and pepper.

1.) Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat to 475 degrees. Combine the panko (crumbs) and oil in a 12 inch skillet and toast over medium heat, stirring often, until golden, 8-10 minutes. Panko will darken more in oven so don't toast too long here to prevent "burned" crumbs.

2.) Transfer toasted crumbs to a shallow dish and let cool slightly, 5-10 minutes. Combine the flour, garlic powder, and cayenne/paprika in a second shallow dish. In a third shallow dish, whisk together the egg whites, water, mustard and thyme together until well combined.

3.) Spray a wire (cooling) rack with vegetable oil spray and place over a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil (don't skip this step- makes chicken fingers crunch and crisp!). Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Working with a few pieces of chicken at a time, dredge them in the flour, then the egg mixture and finally coat with the toasted crumbs, pressing lightly on them to adhere. (Note: I often use latex surgical gloves for this or keep one hand moving chicken pieces "dry" and the other "wet" to avoid wasting crumbs and getting gooey hands) Lay the breaded chicken pieces on the prepared wire rack.

4.) Spray the tops of each breaded chicken piece lightly with vegetable oil spray and Bake until the chicken is cooked through, 10-12 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce.

Serves 4 with 1 serving = 5-6 long fingers (which would be more, smaller, nuggets)

Honey-Mustard Dipping sauce: makes 3/4 cup of sauce (for 4)

1/2 cup yellow mustard (I use Dijon since that's what I keep on hand)

1/3 cup honey

salt and pepper

Mix the mustard and honey together until smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve

Note: Your children may prefer ketchup, plain yellow mustard, Asian sweet chili sauce, salsa, etc. Just play around with what they like.

To make Ahead: You can freeze the cooked chicken fingers/nuggets, once they have cooled, in tight foil parcels placed into a gallon ziplock bag and they will be good for up to 1 month!!!!! Just reheat at 350 degrees from frozen by opening the foil packet and placing it with the frozen chicken fingers/buggets, on a cookie sheet for 12-17 minutes depending on how hot your oven gets and the size. Start checking nuggets at 8 minutes and fingers at 12- you may have to cut one or two open to make sure the center is warmed through.

I wait until I find a package of organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale or marked down close to the sell by date. I always keep Panko on hand so I can whip these up as needed- great on salads, alongside beans and wonderful with sweet potato oven fries too.

Edited to add photos of chicken fingers (still learning how)

IMG-20111106-00028100x752.jpg

IMG-20111115-00051100x73.jpg

IMG-20111106-00029100x732.jpg

A quick and cheap peanut satay sauce can be made by mixing equal parts teriyaki sauce and peanut butter. Kids will scarf down any stir fry in this sauce. You can serve it over a stir-fried meat and veggie blend and brown rice or other starch.

Oh thanks for that, my son loves satay.

From the lovely site of Backwoods Bound I present only 3 of the many, many squirrel recipes they offer.

Bacon Wrapped Squirrel

Sent in by Timothy S. Barry.

~ squirrel legs, front or rear, amount depends upon how hungry you are

~ beer

~ garlic powder

~ pepper

~ salt

~ minced onion

~ hickory smoked bacon

Soak the legs in beer for 2 – 3 hours. Remove and drain.

Sprinkle to taste with garlic powder, pepper, salt and the minced onion.

Wrap each leg with bacon. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.

Place on hot grill. Cook over medium heat until cooked through.

Serve with your favorite sides.

Enjoy.

Bushytail With Autumn Apples

Submitted by Chris Lee.

~ 4 squirrels, cut into serving pieces

~ flour

~ 1 tbsp cinnamon

~ canola oil

~ 2 large Granny Smith apples or 4 medium MacIntosh

~ 1 bag baby carrots

~ 2 - 3 bay leaves

~ 4 cups apple cider

~ 2 tbsp corn starch

~ 3 tbsp water

Mix the flour and cinnamon together in bag.

Heat the oil in a large skillet.

Shake the squirrel pieces in the flour.

Place meat in the hot oil and cook over medium heat until browned all over.

While meat is cooking, peel, core and slice the apples.

When meat is done, place in a casserole dish.

Layer on the apples and carrots. Add the bay leaves.

Pour in the cider. Cover with foil or lid and bake for 2 hours at 350 degrees.

Remove the apples, carrots and squirrel to a serving platter. Remove bay leaves. Pour sauce over the top of meat.

If thicker sauce is desired, mix the corn starch and water together. Stir into the sauce and stir until thick.

Serve and enjoy with pumpkin pie for dessert.

Squirrel Salad

Submitted by Stacey Lee Radcliff.

~ 3 squirrels

~ 1/4 - 1/2 cup mayo

~ 1 medium onion, finely chopped

~ 2 tbsp sweet relish

~ 1/2 cup finely chopped celery

~ 3 boiled eggs

~ 1 tsp brown spicy mustard

~ purple grapes

~ toasted almond slices

~ salt and pepper

Place the squirrels in a pressure cooker for 8 minutes. Remove and let cool.

Once cool, remove the meat from the bones. Chop into small pieces.

In a bowl, stir together the meat, mayo, onion, relish, celery, eggs and mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Slice as many grapes as you want in half and add to the salad. Add almonds to taste and stir together.

Serve on toasted French bread.

Enjoy.

If you need recipes for your other... um... hunting/found a dead animal and just want to eat it needs, they also offer recipes for everything from Alligator to Turtle. I am going to go check out the Armadillo Recipes asap!

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html

eta I crunched up the recipes so my post wasn't 30 feet long.

I make up tons of cheap, easy recipes. I love to use things like rice and lentils and raw potatoes that are far, far cheaper than frozen tater tots. I'm not vegetarian but it just happens that my few recipes are meat-free. It wouldn't hurt them to skip meat once in awhile. Here are 3 easy, cheap things that I make frequently. In fact, I'll make it a whole day thing.

Breakfast:

Get a big canister of plain oats. You can get the quick-cook kind, but it's still cheaper (and healthier) than the little flavored packets. I have nothing against the packets, but plain oats are just so dang cheap. And when cooking for a crowd, it's so much easier to just boil a big pot than to open 16-20 individual packets. Boil the oatmeal in a big pot. Lay out a toppings buffet to make it fun for the kids. I would include all kinds of fruits, fresh, dry and canned (in water or juice), and cinnamon but no sugar. Let the kids experiment with weird combinations. Fresh berries of any kind are great but can be expensive. But sliced banana, apple, raisins, and canned pears are all delicious and cheap. Round out the meal with milk.

Lunch:

Get two big pots and boil rice in one and lentils in the other. These things are dirt cheap if you just get the store-brand in the bags (not boxes). I just bought a 2-pound bag of rice for $1.39 and that wasn't even a sale price. In a big skillet, brown up diced onions and green pepper, then add canned diced tomatoes. The Duggars should like this because of the cans. But don't buy a bunch of little cans; just go for the big one. It's easier and cheaper that way. If the tomatoes smell acidic, add some cinnamon. You won't taste it at all but it will cut down on the acid. Layer the rice, lentils, and sauce in whatever ratio each person prefers. You can add a little shredded cheese or sour cream if that's your thing. Bonus: this stuff reheats in the microwave. I have this for lunch pretty often. Lentils are so cheap and nutritious but they get overlooked a lot. They have so much protein, but also fiber, which the Duggars really need.

Dinner:

This one is a little more prep but still not difficult. Get a bunch of russet potatoes and wash and dice them, but leave the skin on. Cook them in a big skillet with onions and green pepper again, with a little veg oil to get things going. Go heavy on the onions! After everything is done cooking, scramble up some eggs and pour them on top to cook over very low heat. This shouldn't be like an omelet or frittata though, and it should be less than half egg. Open up a giant bag of frozen vegetables of your choice and heat in a big pot.

It will be great, I promise! I make this all the time and have passed on the recipe before to friends who've had equal success- it's so easy and a relatively healthy "dessert" (or breakfast).

OK, so I used 2 cups of flour, 3 eggs, and 5 bananas. I also added 2 handfulls each of PB chips and milk chocolate chips. Its yummy!

@lauracat7 Have you ever tried these chicken strips from tase of home? You don't have to make them like monster claws to be sure but after tweeking it with some pecan coating it is sooooo yummy.

.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Crunchy-Monster-Claws

Ingredients

1 small sweet yellow pepper (not needed if just making as chicken strips)

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, divided

3 eggs, lightly beaten

1-1/2 cups cornflake crumbs

2 tablespoons chopped green onion

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch strips

Barbecue sauce

Directions

Cut yellow pepper into 15 triangles; set aside. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning. Place eggs in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the cornflake crumbs, green onion and remaining Cajun seasoning.

Place a few pieces of chicken in bag; seal and shake to coat. Dip in eggs, then in crumb mixture. Place on a greased baking sheet. Repeat. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until juices run clear.

Cut a small slit into one end of each chicken strip; insert a pepper triangle into each. Serve with barbecue sauce. Yield: 15 appetizers.

Nutrition Facts: 1 claw (calculated without barbecue sauce) equals 58 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.

@lauracat7 Have you ever tried these chicken strips from tase of home? You don't have to make them like monster claws to be sure but after tweeking it with some pecan coating it is sooooo yummy.

.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Crunchy-Monster-Claws

Ingredients

1 small sweet yellow pepper (not needed if just making as chicken strips)

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, divided

3 eggs, lightly beaten

1-1/2 cups cornflake crumbs

2 tablespoons chopped green onion

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch strips

Barbecue sauce

Directions

Cut yellow pepper into 15 triangles; set aside. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning. Place eggs in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the cornflake crumbs, green onion and remaining Cajun seasoning.

Place a few pieces of chicken in bag; seal and shake to coat. Dip in eggs, then in crumb mixture. Place on a greased baking sheet. Repeat. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until juices run clear.

Cut a small slit into one end of each chicken strip; insert a pepper triangle into each. Serve with barbecue sauce. Yield: 15 appetizers.

Nutrition Facts: 1 claw (calculated without barbecue sauce) equals 58 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.

These sound terrific- I will plan on giving them a try very soon. I bet they look wonderful-Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Dinner:

This one is a little more prep but still not difficult. Get a bunch of russet potatoes and wash and dice them, but leave the skin on. Cook them in a big skillet with onions and green pepper again, with a little veg oil to get things going. Go heavy on the onions! After everything is done cooking, scramble up some eggs and pour them on top to cook over very low heat. This shouldn't be like an omelet or frittata though, and it should be less than half egg. Open up a giant bag of frozen vegetables of your choice and heat in a big pot.

Add some cheese and onion to the potatoes and you get what I have for breakfast most mornings. I may add some ham or other meat to it once in a while.

Reading this thread has become very dangerous for me, I am so hungry for a lot of these meals. :drool: When its time to make out the grocery list I know just where to head to get awesome ideas. My husband will be so proud that I saved him time and effort to do the list. :whistle:

Meatless Monday's Feeds at least 20

ingredients:

20 pounds cooked brown rice (Minute Rice quick & easy)

10 pounds celery, chopped

7 pounds peppers (red/green), chopped

6 medium onions, chopped

4 gloves chopped garlic

3/4 cup lemon juice

1-2 stick(s) of butter

Saute celery, peppers, onion, and garlic in butter and lemon juice

Serve over rice

Can also be used in tacos & goes well with baked potatoes as a meal.

Pros: Healthy & Uniquely different from their normal fare. Cost effective, easily reheated, versatile as meal or side dish.

Cons: Will take two Duggars about an hour to prepare and cook unless they have an automatic chopping appliance.

Meatless Monday's Feeds at least 20

ingredients:

20 pounds cooked brown rice (Minute Rice quick & easy)

10 pounds celery, chopped

7 pounds peppers (red/green), chopped

6 medium onions, chopped

4 gloves chopped garlic

3/4 cup lemon juice

1-2 stick(s) of butter

Saute celery, peppers, onion, and garlic in butter and lemon juice

Serve over rice

Can also be used in tacos & goes well with baked potatoes as a meal.

Pros: Healthy & Uniquely different from their normal fare. Cost effective, easily reheated, versatile as meal or side dish.

Cons: Will take two Duggars about an hour to prepare and cook unless they have an automatic chopping appliance.

They can buy used restaurant grade equipment from a supplier, or comb craigslist for those. The money they'll save in the long run is worth it.

I'm sorry, I know I'm repeating myself over and over but I really just don't get it. They have the (wo)manpower and property to be able to grow so much of their own food.

IIRC Jinger wanted to be a chef someday? She would be a great friend to Pegler Sysco!

They can buy used restaurant grade equipment from a supplier, or comb craigslist for those. The money they'll save in the long run is worth it.

I'm sorry, I know I'm repeating myself over and over but I really just don't get it. They have the (wo)manpower and property to be able to grow so much of their own food.

IIRC Jinger wanted to be a chef someday? She would be a great friend to Pegler Sysco!

They have the space too to garden just about anything they want to. I remember one of the episodes Jim Bob told the story of a man who came to them and asked if he could use some of their yard to grow vegi's he didn't have room to grow. Jim Bob gave him some space and the man taught some of the younger Duggars some gardening. Pumpkins and watermelon I believe and maybe some tomatoes. It was kind of portrayed as a fun little hobby for the little ones. If they really took it seriously and utilized much more of their land for growing for their own needs it would make so much sense. Are they afraid the older girls might run away if they spend too much time outside? Or more likely - Michelle needs the older girls IN THE HOME to do all of the child care, cleaning, laundry, schooling, and cooking. The only ones who have ANY time for farming would be the older boys and I don't think Jim Bob wants to raise farmers, I think he wants all of his son's to be businessmen.

I'm going to go through this thread and see if there are any recipes that I would like to make and eat off of...I like to cook a casserole at the beginning of the week and eat on it for a few days...especially if it is something I love :)

My usual is :oops: CHICKEN SPAGHETTI I'm eating the last portion of it right now! I've loved it for basically forever...my mom used to make it and now that I'm in college I make it for myself pretty often!

Mine is similar to Anna's but obviously tastier :) and I'm sure I eat more veggies on the side than they do!

-About 3 chicken breasts pulled apart to small pieces (I buy a pack of about 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts and use half for this recipe. Obviously boil them before trying to pull them apart.I put some salt and pepper and whatever else I see in with it while boiling)

-1 small package of spaghetti (boiled in the chicken broth)

-1 package of shredded cheese (NOT A BLOCK OF VELVEETA!)

-1 can of Campbells cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup

Combine all in casserole dish. You might need to add some of the broth if it seems dry and a little pepper.

Other things I make that are easy to make in large portions...

The Pioneer Woman's White Chicken Enchiladas I think I'm making these tonight!

Southwest Lasagna nomnomnom

Archived