IGNORED

S/O Feed the Duggars right

ladypuglover

Now that I go to submit, I see experienedd posted this, but here's some specifics.

(snip)

I make the polenta in the microwave per the corn meal recipe on the package. For that many people, you'd have to make it on a pot on the stovetop. I substitute skim milk for 1/2 of the liquid to make it a bit richer, and I add lots of raw, finely minced onion to add extra flavor, but you could easily just throw in cheapy onion powder, too. So then you have the base on which to serve the chilli, like potatoes on which you'd serve a meat gravy. (I don't shape or fry the polenta, though some people do.) If you're preparing it a day in advance, you can soak the corn meal in the liquid overnight in the fridge to cut down on the cooking time a little.

(snip)

Wait, you make your own polenta? I'd LOVE a recipe. I've never seen one!

(sorry, I was busy yesterday and didn't have time for FJ, so I'm behind.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread saved me last night- could not find the recipe I submitted here but was able to come print it off and whip out a batch of chicken fingers for the freezer.

Baked Beans (can easily be doubled/tripled/quadrupled)

1lb beans

6c water

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 lb bacon or ham (optional)

1 small onion, chopped

1/3c molasses

1/4c sugar

1 tsp dry mustard

1/4 tsp pepper

1 can tomato soup

1c ketchup

1c water

1lb beans

Pick over, wash, soak overnight in 6c water

A.M. Boil beans, water & 1/2 tsp baking soda for at least 10 minutes

Place ham, onion & beans in slow cooker or large pot(s)

Combine molasses, sugar, ketchup, soup, mustard & pepper. Pour over beans, stir thoroughly. Add just enough water to cover beans.

Cook in slow cooker all day on low or at least 4 hours on high or cook all day in oven 250-300F.

Stir fry

Fry strips of meat

Add lots of chopped fresh or frozen veggies

Pour in a sauce of your choice

Cover. Cook until veggies hot, stirring occasionally

Serve with rice

My current obsession, which I posted about in another thread: roasted green beans

2lbs fresh green beans (currently 2lbs/$3 at my supermarket)

1-2 tsp. olive oil

1-1.5 tsp. kosher salt (I'm a bit of a salt fiend, so I up this figure a bit!)

1 tsp. pepper

Layer beans in a single layer on a jelly roll pan(s). Lightly coat with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, turning beans over 15 minutes into cooking time.

This is my current obsession too! :clap: I cannot get enough of roasted green beans! Try with some sprigs of Thyme or sprinkle some dry.

Here is a recipe from "A Love That Multiplies" by Jim Bob and Michelle

(I googled a recipe analysis)

Afredo Spaghetti

1 quart heavy whipping cream

1 stick butter

2 cups Parmesan Cheese

1 tsp. salt

1 pound cooked spaghetti

In a saucepan, warm whipping cream and melt butter. Remove from heat and add cheese. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Stir over cooke spaghetti

The analysis:

1049 calories per serving, 772 from fat

85.89 grams of fat or 132 % RDA

344 mg Cholesterol

115% RDA

1087 gram sodium

45% RDA

Serves 6.

My current obsession, which I posted about in another thread: roasted green beans

2lbs fresh green beans (currently 2lbs/$3 at my supermarket)

1-2 tsp. olive oil

1-1.5 tsp. kosher salt (I'm a bit of a salt fiend, so I up this figure a bit!)

1 tsp. pepper

Layer beans in a single layer on a jelly roll pan(s). Lightly coat with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, turning beans over 15 minutes into cooking time.

Oh, I WILL be making this! Thanks! :)

Here is a recipe from "A Love That Multiplies" by Jim Bob and Michelle

(I googled a recipe analysis)

Afredo Spaghetti

1 quart heavy whipping cream

1 stick butter

2 cups Parmesan Cheese

1 tsp. salt

1 pound cooked spaghetti

In a saucepan, warm whipping cream and melt butter. Remove from heat and add cheese. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Stir over cooke spaghetti

The analysis:

1049 calories per serving, 772 from fat

85.89 grams of fat or 132 % RDA

344 mg Cholesterol

115% RDA

1087 gram sodium

45% RDA

Serves 6.

Holy cow - this isn't only fat and calorie heavy, it seems rather expensive as well. 2 cups of parmesan cheese?? I did a quick search for low-fat Alfred sauces, and came up with lots of hits. Here is just one:

1 tbsp. butter (butter)

1/4 c. flour

1 tsp. salt

Pinch nutmeg (comments from users suggest replacing or supplementing the nutmeg with garlic powder)

3/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese

3 c. low fat milk

1/2 tsp. pepper

If this family wants to eat frugally as well as more healthy, this would seem a much better Alfredo sauce for them to use. 1 tbsp butter instead of a whole stick; 3/4 c Parmesan cheese rather than 2 cups. (I don't know how much sauce this would make, but considering it calls for 3 cups of milk, it seems like at most, they would only have to double this recipe to feed their whole family).

Archived