IGNORED

Fundy BBQ!

eohiken

Back on the pre-raptured board, I mentioned a burgeoning friendship with a fundy family that lives down the road from me. Well, it's been slow going as friendships go, but we were recently invited to go to their place for a BBQ this weekend. (It's an odd season for sure, but they raise pigs and don't want to winter over quite so many piglets so they are cooking up a couple of roasters.)

They do have a bunch of kids, but given their ages (4, 9 and under) I don't think they are strictly quiverful. They do homeschool, are quite into homesteading, but wife wears pants. So far, we've not had to have awkward conversations about churches. I'm assuming they are some sort of Baptist? In my area, most fundies are penecosts, but they don't fit that bill.

Here's my big problem, WTH do I bring with me if they don't drink? Without being able to bring the standard issue bottle of wine, I'm stumped.

De-caffinated soda, maybe? Or you can just ask them if they need somebody to bring non-alcholic drinks, or what types of non-alcholic drinks they like.

How about a bag of ground coffee, something good like Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. Or maybe some coffee and some herbal teas. Perhaps some good quality chocolates or some gourmet popcorn. There are fancy olive oils, fancy cheeses (not velveeta, lol), or even some fresh flowers.

ETA: I am assuming you are wanting to take a hostess gift and not just provide the beverage. But if you meant that you are wanting to provide a beverage, then I would suggest the coffee or tea.

Lol, good ideas! I'm in Canada, so it would have to be Tim Hortons coffee.

I think I'm going to have to call and ask... maybe I can just bring a dessert. Everybody likes cake.

Huh. That's weird. Can't figure out why this post was at the top since it seems old and the last comment is pretty old. I was wondering whether it was some weird fundie practice to have a BBQ in Canada in January!

Huh. That's weird. Can't figure out why this post was at the top since it seems old and the last comment is pretty old. I was wondering whether it was some weird fundie practice to have a BBQ in Canada in January!

True Canadians BBQ all year round. Nothing says Johnny Cannuck quite like your husband out on the deck in his boots and parka grilling some steaks. Only wussies worry about it being too cold to BBQ.

The follow-up post!

A) I had a good time

B) They are definitely fundy, albeit without all the usual trappings.

It was a big to do, at least 60 guests in attendance, a mix of neighbours, family and church people. I met a new family from the UK that moved in just down the road who are fab. The pig was delish, and there was lots of food. I ended up calling to find out what to bring. I asked if they drink wine and was told 'yes', but in a funny tone, I'm thinking they might personally not drink, but were expecting enough guests that did (and weren't giant holyrollers about keeping the party dry). We brought a big bottle of red, and a crudite. Of the three bottles of vino there, ours was the only one opened and finished (the other two were cheap 'sparkling champagne'.) I know the husband's mother imbibed.

Every square inch of the house is plastered with biblical/inspirational quotes and religious kids crafts. Before we were allowed to eat, they said grace, and by grace I mean a very long and tedious sing song. This is how we picked out the fellow church members, they all knew the words. I found that overwhelming, I feel clausterphobic when I'm trapped with a bunch of people overtly practicing, I get all cagey and feral. But I had some wine and felt better :obscene-drinkingchug:

The follow-up post!

A) I had a good time

B) They are definitely fundy, albeit without all the usual trappings.

It was a big to do, at least 60 guests in attendance, a mix of neighbours, family and church people. I met a new family from the UK that moved in just down the road who are fab. The pig was delish, and there was lots of food. I ended up calling to find out what to bring. I asked if they drink wine and was told 'yes', but in a funny tone, I'm thinking they might personally not drink, but were expecting enough guests that did (and weren't giant holyrollers about keeping the party dry). We brought a big bottle of red, and a crudite. Of the three bottles of vino there, ours was the only one opened and finished (the other two were cheap 'sparkling champagne'.) I know the husband's mother imbibed.

Every square inch of the house is plastered with biblical/inspirational quotes and religious kids crafts. Before we were allowed to eat, they said grace, and by grace I mean a very long and tedious sing song. This is how we picked out the fellow church members, they all knew the words. I found that overwhelming, I feel clausterphobic when I'm trapped with a bunch of people overtly practicing, I get all cagey and feral. But I had some wine and felt better :obscene-drinkingchug:

You have just created my favourite phrase of the day - will now proceed to use and over use it.

It took me a few moments to find the adjectives that truly describe the particular sensation of a houseful of praying fundies! Use it with my full consent.

I don't believe TTC to be as ubiquitous in the Canadian fundy scene, although I could be wrong.

Expect a platter of TTC at a fundie BBQ.

Am I the only one who sometimes reads "TTC" as "trying to conceive"? It makes for some interesting reading sometimes.

Archived