IGNORED

Skins (UK Version)

Guest Member456

Guest Anonymous

Does anyone else watch this? I got hooked on the first season when it played on BBC America. It's gritty to say the least, and even though the show is about teenagers the content is adult and can be disturbing. Lots of nudity, lots of swearing, lots of sex, lots of drug use/abuse. It can come off as gratuitous at times but there is some stellar acting and the characters are engaging. I care about what happens to them even if I hate them.

I just got caught up to the end of series 4 and I'm dying for someone to chat with about it. Most if not all of the episodes are on YouTube if it sounds like anyone's cup of tea.

**NSFW** Link to series 1, episode 1 here:

There's a U.S. version from MTV but much like the U.S. Being Human I pretend that it doesn't exist.

I hate the US version of Being Human too.

MTV Skins is different than UK skins; definitely worse, but okay to watch when you have nothing better to do. Aaaannnnd it is worth its weight in lulz.

Skins 1: I love Sid. Even Cassie, though she makes me sad.

I love this UK series, it is not sugar coated candy where everyone has their problems solved in a 30 min time slot. I can't wait for season 6 to air this January. As for MTV's failed version I will just plug my ears and shake my head while I pretend it never happened.

I actually went to school with someone who was in Skins. I watched the first couple of series because I knew someone in it but it wasn't really my cup of tea - loved Cassie and Sid's relationship though.

ZOMGAH, so so so so excited for series six! I ADORE Franky.

I've watched all five seasons, but I have to admit, the third gen seems the most realistic/relatable; the first two gens were incredibly gritty, and the end of series four just seemed to devolve into a soap opera, KWIM? However, I have to say, of all the characters in the three gens, after Franky, Effy and Pandora are my favorites. Their relationship seems so genuine, even though it started so...sillily? Superficially? Like in episode 3.8. Fantastic.

For some reason, I just couldn't connect with the first gen- like, it was really good, just...everyone but Tony and Michelle seemed a bit lost on me. I don't get the Cassie love; she annoyed the ever-loving SHIT out of me in the second season. Poor Sid.

I'm really looking forward to how Mini develops in series six- her mean girl exterior over her still very obvious fear really resonates with me. I wasn't a mean girl, but I still tend towards bravado sometimes. And I hope Nick gets it together while still sticking it to his douchey dad. I love him and Matty together. And it's the return of FRANKY! Woohoo!

I guess what I love the most about Skins is that it's "real" in that it really captures the emotions of that age so well. Everything feels so immediate and painful when you're seventeen, and Skins gets that without making it seem cliche. And it shows that even a "bad" kid, like Effy or Cook, is truly a good person deep down, even if they experiment with drugs or sex. It's a very sympathetic portrayal. And I like that they have characters of color, queer characters, characters with mental illnesses, etc. without tokenizing. That doesn't happen enough in the media.

Guest Anonymous
Is this the one with Natalie Dormer?

I don't recall her being in any of the ones that I've seen. She was on The Tudors but I believe that was produced by HBO. They do replay those episodes on BBC America.

I don't recall her being in any of the ones that I've seen. She was on The Tudors but I believe that was produced by HBO. They do replay those episodes on BBC America.

I know :) It was a CBC co-production. Loved her performance. I checked her filmography and she's not in it. I was thinking of Silk. My bad.

Guest Anonymous
I know :) It was a CBC co-production. Loved her performance. I checked her filmography and she's not in it. I was thinking of Silk. My bad.

I love her, too. I think she's one of the most attractive people on the planet. I was wracking my brain trying to remember if she'd had a cameo or something. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I actually went to school with someone who was in Skins. I watched the first couple of series because I knew someone in it but it wasn't really my cup of tea - loved Cassie and Sid's relationship though.

They were my favorite and I have a tiny crush on Sid.......

Series 5 is not as good as I hoped though.

Oh! Was your friend a character or just a extra?! My cousin went to school with the girl that play Naomi and she still stays in touch with her.

It was actually on Showtime, still one of those premium cable channels you normally have to pay extra for. One other thing Natalie Dormer was in was the movie Captain America.

It was actually on Showtime, still one of those premium cable channels you normally have to pay extra for. One other thing Natalie Dormer was in was the movie Captain America.

She was also in Casanova!

edit for spelling

Guest Anonymous

Whoops! Thanks for sorting me out. :) And damn, now I really need to see Captain America.

Whoops! Thanks for sorting me out. :) And damn, now I really need to see Captain America.

She only have like 2 minutes in the movie. I was psyched to see her in it and then was sad........She is blond in it - FYI. Not a brunette like Anne Boleyn

• 2 weeks later...

I just started watching this, so I'm not even quite done with second series yet, but I agree that it's very engaging. I kept seeing it on Netflix, but never watched it because for some reason I was thinking it'd be like...I guess sort of like that movie "Kids", where the characters (to me) were really unlikable and it was just really dark. I think Skins has quite a few laugh out loud funny moments, mixed in with the more serious subject matter, and like the op I care about what happens to the characters. Also, it was nice seeing the kid from About a Boy in something. This is the only thing besides that movie I've seen him in, but I like him.

Archived