IGNORED

Fundraising for Noah's Ark theme park has hit a snag

dawn9476

Go figure that people don't want to donate to a for-profit anti-science park any more than taxpayers wanted to donate to the big banks...

I'm surprised it takes so much to build an ark. I doubt Noah had a long list of donors.

so sad. it there about 1 million species of insects (though that may be double) on the earth and maybe 60 thousand species of birds,fish, and mammals. only 900 species of dinosaurs that we know of but some where huge. All of these fit on a little boat?

I went to the Creation Museum in Kentucky. They have "answers" to questions like yours I think, emmiedahl. I didn't understand their "answers" of course, but they had them. Fitting all the animals on the boat had something to do with genus/species prototypes, and there was also something about the existence of "floating forests". I don't remember how that tied in, but I remember I was very fascinated by it. I wanted to ask one of the staff about it, but was concerned that they would (understandably) take my question as a sign of devotion to creationism (which it definitely wasn't).

That Creation Museum provided me with more amusement than Disneyland.

I would definitely go to an amusement park if they opened one.

ETA: My friend and I were killing ourselves to be "respectful" the whole time we were inside, but the second we got out the door we burst out laughing and were trying to talk over each other saying our "favourite" parts. Then we saw a "Security/Parking Guard" (with a large cross on his uniform, no joke) and both fell silent and I dropped my gaze and tried to look submissive. He turned to my friend and said "What happened?! It's like you were enjoying yourselves and then you saw me and I wrecked your day". My friend just laughed (awkwardly).

so sad. it there about 1 million species of insects (though that may be double) on the earth and maybe 60 thousand species of birds,fish, and mammals. only 900 species of dinosaurs that we know of but some where huge. All of these fit on a little boat?

I've heard fundies claim Noah took eggs, not fully grown dinosaurs.

Of course, following that logic, he also presumably took like... elephant eggs.

I heard they took "kinds" so not tigers, lions, cheetas, leopards, house cats, servals, etc. Instead they took like a tiger.

I heard they took "kinds" so not tigers, lions, cheetas, leopards, house cats, servals, etc. Instead they took like a tiger.

Yep, that's what they were teaching at the Creation museum.

Interestingly, the idea of 'kinds' or 'types' originated with the EBUL GODLESS Plato.

hee!

Interestingly, the idea of 'kinds' or 'types' originated with the EBUL GODLESS Plato.

hee!

They say it's in Genesis. "Each tree bearing fruit according to it's kind" and all. They point out dog breeds as to how these "kinds" got back to the variety they were before.

If I recall correctly from my visit, the floating forests were to explain how the animals were distributed to all the continents after the Ark landed on Ararat. They have to explain how animals got to Australia, for example.

I went several years ago and put up photos at Flickr. A friend and I went after a paleontology conference.

Yep, that's what they were teaching at the Creation museum.

Then where did the lions, and leopards, and house cats come from? They would have had to evolve from the tigers!

Then where did the lions, and leopards, and house cats come from? They would have had to evolve from the tigers!

Yes, but they invoke "microevolution" which is totally different than "macroevolution" -- you see, they're all still cats of some sort. TOTALLY different, you see?

Yes, but they invoke "microevolution" which is totally different than "macroevolution" -- you see, they're all still cats of some sort. TOTALLY different, you see?

Yep. It's different, because no fully formed human jumped from a couple drops of water, or from monkey feces.

OT but there is a version of "Noah's Ark" starring Jon Voight and when Noah and his family are in the ark, a trader peddles along and tries to sell them goods from his raft. It's so bad. It's worse than the dog in "Independence Day"... it's probably worse than Fonzie jumping a shark on waterskies.

What? So like, 1 of each animal, a pregnant female I assume... Eggs of others, and then everything 'adapts' into what we have today?

Wtf

Well where do they say the dinosaurs went?

Wouldn't a Noah's Ark theme park be really horrific?

I'm baffled by people who decorate their baby's rooms with Noah's ark themes. Or the church near our house that has a Noah's Ark themed splash park for kids. Um.. all the people not in the boat supposedly drowned. That's not cute.

The "kinds" argument bothers me more than any other becuase the separation into kinds is so completely arbitrary. In order for a cheetah and a leopard to be considered the same kind one would have to group by family, rather than genus or species. To do that with gorillas, whoops- you'd have to include humans! Not to mention the Genetic difference between two types of virus can be much greater than that between a weasel and a skunk, yet most creationists want to distinguish between lots of mammals and don't bother to distinguish between different insects/ arthropods etc. Drives me nuts!

the biggest problem is people knew so little abotu the world when they wrote the bible. no clue how large it was or how many animals there really were. the middle east is not a place with a lot of animals.

Oh, yeah, now I get it. Like when my chickens are free-ranging and accidentally mate with a Barn Owl. Let me tell you, those are some ugly chicks.

Archived