IGNORED

Fox and Sarah Palin Freak Over White House Christmas Card

doggie

I saw this reported on one of the other cable news channels last night. They pulled up a bunch of Presidential xmas cards going back to Reagan and many of them had absolutely no reference to Christmas/Christmas trees/Jesus, including cards from both Bush presidents.. Mostly winter scenes of the White Houes, if I recall. Because, duh, presidents send cards out to millions of people of all faiths.

BTW, I got one and I thought it was very nice. :D

She's such an incredible twit. I think her role has become agitator-in-chief but beyond that, she has no ideas whatsoever.

cross-posted with thoughtful

Could some point out to this conservative christian where I am supposed to offended? It looks like a very nice card and even though I'm not a fan of Obama I would still be pleased with such a lovely card.

Could some point out to this conservative christian where I am supposed to offended? It looks like a very nice card and even though I'm not a fan of Obama I would still be pleased with such a lovely card.

Obama did it. Isn't that enough to offend? ;-)

"Like herpes" is an apt description.

I'm cautiously optimistic that she will fade away fairly soon. Public interest in her seems to be waning while at the same time her "credibility" is diminishing.

As far as I know, none of the "expose" books sold well and her inexcusable gaffes are quickly approaching Rick Perry territory.

There's no way she'll run for president. She lacks the smarts and the work ethic and loves the lucrative deal with Fox News too much. I don't see a future for her beyond media "commentator."

"Like herpes" is an apt description.

I'm cautiously optimistic that she will fade away fairly soon. Public interest in her seems to be waning while at the same time her "credibility" is diminishing.

As far as I know, none of the "expose" books sold well and her inexcusable gaffes are quickly approaching Rick Perry territory.

There's no way she'll run for president. She lacks the smarts and the work ethic and loves the lucrative deal with Fox News too much. I don't see a future for her beyond media "commentator."

You know, I wanted to buy that book by Joe McGinnis. He wrote Fatal Vision, so I've been familiar with his work for most of my life (my dad had been stationed at Ft. Bragg a few years after and it was still a hot topic). He wrote some other books that I've read, but the McDonald case is a pet of mine.

I was just reading this article about a statement Newt Gingrich made, saying federal employees can't say "Merry Christmas." They mention that tax money isn't used to sent the cards, they're paid for by the party national committees. And that the rules that don't allow tax dollars to pay for holiday cards from members of Congress, were started when Gingrich was the speaker.

Personally, I have to agree. Even though I don't personally like a lot of Christmas observances, I just tolerate them and don't say anything. But if I had to pay for the White House and Congress to send Christmas cards, I'd be pretty pissed.

Some people will be offended no matter what. It makes sense not to overtly mention Christmas, because duh, then he can send the card to anyone. Why do right wing nuts think the entire country is Christian??

You know, I wanted to buy that book by Joe McGinnis. He wrote Fatal Vision, so I've been familiar with his work for most of my life (my dad had been stationed at Ft. Bragg a few years after and it was still a hot topic). He wrote some other books that I've read, but the McDonald case is a pet of mine.

I've read McGinnis book on Palin and I found it enlightening and well-written. Many of my fellow Mudflatters have issues with McGinnis b/c of him releasing another author's draft, but I still think McGinnis is a good author and saw both sides of it.

I don't think Palin will go away; I think she will just up the ante where crazy is concerned.

Consider: the Palin family is the biggest train wreck since the Osbournes had that show. Americans watched them because we just cannot look away from wreckage. Now, Bachmann has out-crazied them and is getting all the attention. I fully expect Sarah to come up with something really wacky to get her press back. She is not discerning enough to realize that she becomes more unelectable with every word.

I don't think Palin will go away; I think she will just up the ante where crazy is concerned.

Consider: the Palin family is the biggest train wreck since the Osbournes had that show. Americans watched them because we just cannot look away from wreckage. Now, Bachmann has out-crazied them and is getting all the attention. I fully expect Sarah to come up with something really wacky to get her press back. She is not discerning enough to realize that she becomes more unelectable with every word.

Did someone just say "Dunning-Kruger effect"? Interesting tidbit: If you google the words dunning kruger palin you get about 130,000 hits.

"It's odd," she said, wondering why the president's Christmas card highlights his dog instead of traditions like "family, faith and freedom."

Why? Because dogs are freakin' cute on Christmas cards! And I love that they had the card signed by the four of them and a paw print for Bo. I have a friend who adds a paw print stamp to her card from the family dog, and if I'm sending a card to a fellow cat-lover, I'll usually sign my cats' names in the card, too.

My only objection to that card is the implication that poor Bo is worried that Santa is due down the chimney, and there's a fire in the fireplace!

Poor dog -- he's just concerned for Santa!

FFS. I'm starting to think the "New Conservatives" like Bachmann, Palin, and their friends are part of some secret society started with the sole goal of trolling the American public.

How does the card not highlight "family, faith, and freedom"? The faithful dog, the comfortable room decorated in preparation for a family Christmas gathering, and the freedom to send out any damn card one likes, even if it doesn't include a big huge cross and/or Baby Jesus.

How does the card not highlight "family, faith, and freedom"? The faithful dog, the comfortable room decorated in preparation for a family Christmas gathering, and the freedom to send out any damn card one likes, even if it doesn't include a big huge cross and/or Baby Jesus.

This, totally! Not an Obama fan and I thought the card was sweet and tasteful. Family, you can see a happy family by the presents, decorations and the fireplace symbolising hearth and home. Faith, well a dog is a symbol of faith and protection. Freedom, I like your explanation!

Ugh, talk about stretching. Really, is every f'ing thing supposed to be emblazoned with the American flag? To Sarah and Fox, the answer must be yes. I really hate hat kind of nationalism.

American politics is sexist enough that there's only room for one Tea Party crazy woman (who must also be attractive). Right now Michelle Bachmann is the clear winner. She's crazier, has less personal baggage and actually holds an elected office. Palin doesn't have a chance at any real political power unless Bachmann is out of the picture.

While I don't like the views of these women I am glad that Americans are even willing to talk about the possibility of a woman president. I just wish it wasn't them. Hopefully Obama will be reelected and in a position to pass the torch to Hillary Clinton.

Edited for typo.

American politics is sexist enough that there's only room for one Tea Party crazy woman (who must also be attractive). Right now Michelle Bachmann is the clear winner. She's crazier, has less personal baggage and actually holds an elected office. Palin doesn't have a chance at any real political power unless Bachmann is out of the picture.

I agree with that analysis mostly. Palin isn't actually crazy; she's a slave to her own pettiness, vindictive nature, and crass anti-intellectualism. Bachmann is just batshit crazy, none of her foster kids have spilled the beans on her to date (b/c you just know there is lots of dirt there), and is in an elected office she hasn't yet quit (although she rarely shows up to do her job). So yeah, Palin has got to be feeling put out over her constituency's adulation of Bachmann, but Bachmann is too crazy to ever get elected, thank heavens.

While I don't like the views of these women I am glad that Americans are even willing to talk about the possibility of a woman president. I just wish it wasn't them. Hopefully Obama will be reelected and in a position to pass the torch to Hillary Clinton.

Edited for typo.

Beyond wishing the first female president was not Bachmann or Palin, I think it would be really problematic for women if they were elected. For one thing, they're so woman-hating and regressive; I'd hate to see what kind of brilliant ideas they'd come up with re: women's rights, and be better-positioned to push them through because they have personal woman-cred.

I also remember hearing republicans grumbling after Obama's election, for many obvious reasons but also because of black voter turnout. The implication being that black voters only voted for Obama because he's black, and that they shouldn't be allowed to do that. I'd hate to face the accusation that I voted for Palin or Bachmann just because they're women. If they did badly enough as president, I'm sure there would be some arguing to disenfranchise women voters the same way they'd like to disenfranchise black voters for presumably voting based on race.

I think Bachmann or Palin would be a terrible precedent as the first woman POTUS.

Archived