IGNORED

Eventually, Christians Will Be Beheaded IN America

debrand

The following article, written by Pastor John Piper of Desiring God Ministries, is reprinted in its entirety, with the permission of John Piper and Desiring God Ministries.

World Magazine received a two-minute video of Islamic militants beheading a man for becoming a Christian. The article is called "Brutal Beheading." I hope many of you read it.

Why?

Because we can’t get into the reality of most of the Bible without some real emotional connection with terror. Every book of the New Testament has terror in it, something like a beheading. The situation in the first century, when these books were written, was more like Afghanistan than America.

Without the help of horrific news we will likely romanticize the New Testament. Some of you they will kill (Luke 21:16). Be faithful unto death and he will give you the crown of life (Revelation 2:10).

We are soft. Mentally and emotionally soft. The thought that we might one day be beheaded with a knife, not a sword, or might have to watch someone beheaded, is itself so traumatizing that we can scarcely allow ourselves to think about it.

The miracle of the peace of Jesus (John 14:27) that passes all understanding (Philippians 4:7), will appear as miraculous as it really is, when we experience it not by escaping this news, but by preparing for it, and trusting God in it.

Including when our own time comes.

~End of Article~

I agree with Pastor Piper. The American segment of the Body of Christ is, by and large, "mentally and emotionally soft." I think not only should the above article be read, but also the video watched, by American Christians, beginning with "youth groups."

Let those churches mired in mediocrity replace recreation with reality, and pizza parties with portraits of persecution. Yes, attendance may drop. But better that professing Christians in America be given the reality check of what it means, what it costs to deny one's self, take up their cross, and follow Christ than to let them to further deteriorate into a mass of people ill-prepared for the coming persecution.

Only an American Christian imitating an ostrich with its head in the sand would fail to see that the persecution of Christians is slowly making its way to the land of the free and the home of the brave--the country where television networks can now intentionally alter our nation's pledge to remove the mention of God, under the auspices of artistic patriotism.

While we may yet be some distance away from reaching the point of seeing Christian beheadings in this country, only intentional cultural blindness and comfortable societal ignorance would facilitate the intellectually dishonest perspective that Christians are not being or will not be persecuted in the United States.

Yes. I agree with Pastor John Piper. American Christians should read about the beheading of their Christian brethren in other parts of the world, before this level of persecution is brought to their doorsteps.

Modern American Christians are being asked to acknowledge that other faiths exist in this country. Except for fundies and some conservatives, most Christians understand that they have to share their country with nonChristians. The pledge of allegiance was altered in the fifties to include, Under God. At the present time, there are mixed feelings in America about that phrase. If it is removed, it does NOT mean that Christians are about to be beheaded. The connection is idiotic and shows paranoia. It makes some fundie/conservative Christians look like complete numbnuts.

Such paranoia could actually lead to discrimination of non Christians. After all, if fundies and their like view everyone who doesn't share their faith as potential murderers, won't they feel the need to protect themselves? Most of them are not 'turn the cheek' proponents.

http://www.onthebox.us/2011/06/why-read ... -container

A poster named SHeridan-Holmes wrote: "But, of course, it's not just Christians being beheaded by the Muslim extremists. It's Atheists, homosexuals, members of the opposing Islamic sect... "

*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

I'm not worried about Muslims beheading us here in America. I AM worried about some brand of "Christian" getting its hands on power and then proceeding to try and enforce conformity upon the rest of us.

As for John Piper, he's on my personal and everlasting shit list, replacing the late Jerry Falwell, because he's a jackass. It's not merely that he dissed Rob Bell without reading his book, it's not merely that he puts up this irrational crap about beheading, it's the fact that he thinks married women should submit to being beaten. He can kiss my fat white ass.

The blog owners are not allowing a lot of dissent on their site so if any of you post, it may or may not get through.

The blog owners are not allowing a lot of dissent on their site so if any of you post, it may or may not get through.

I'm on comment approval on On The Box and Ray's atheist blog. I'm now asking why that is the case. I also slyly noted in my last, as yet unapproved, comment on Ray's atheist blog that I'd gone to law school, when I noted that the first child abuse cases were brought under animal welfare laws. *shrug*

As a former member of a minority religion in this country, and as a resident in a heavily Mormon community, I don't think these guys will look upon Mormons too kindly if they ever get their hands on real power. So yeah, I'm not worried about eeeevul Moooooslims, I'm worried about power-hungry Evangelical Christians.

I'm on comment approval on On The Box and Ray's atheist blog. I'm now asking why that is the case. I also slyly noted in my last, as yet unapproved, comment on Ray's atheist blog that I'd gone to law school, when I noted that the first child abuse cases were brought under animal welfare laws. *shrug*

As a former member of a minority religion in this country, and as a resident in a heavily Mormon community, I don't think these guys will look upon Mormons too kindly if they ever get their hands on real power. So yeah, I'm not worried about eeeevul Moooooslims, I'm worried about power-hungry Evangelical Christians.

Yeah me too. My comments used to be let through not problems at all on Atheist Central. Not any more. Ray's team of sycophants are only letting certain ones through, although there doesn't seem to be any consensus on what is allowed and what isn't. So far I have had some of my more sarcastic comments allowed through along with my serious ones, but some of the ones he has deleted have been just ordinary ones.

I've given up going to On the Box. Tony was proving even more annoying than Ray Comfort and if anything he is only there to serve as 'suck up boy' to Raymondo.

Beheading seems to be a favorite fearmongering choice among evangelicals. I remember being told when I was a little girl - nearly 40 years ago - that if my salvation wasn't sure and if I would be left behind in the rapture, that the only way I could get into heaven after that was if the antichrist and his minions beheaded me.

Yeah, that didn't cause me any sleepless nights as a third grader. . . :roll:

Modern American Christians are being asked to acknowledge that other faiths exist in this country. Except for fundies and some conservatives, most Christians understand that they have to share their country with nonChristians. The pledge of allegiance was altered in the fifties to include, Under God. At the present time, there are mixed feelings in America about that phrase. If it is removed, it does NOT mean that Christians are about to be beheaded. The connection is idiotic and shows paranoia. It makes some fundie/conservative Christians look like complete numbnuts.

I always find it vaguely ironic that they took the phrase "one nation indivisible" and divided it to stick god in there :roll:

Where do the fundies develop this persecution complex? It's really super hard to be persecuted when you're part of an overwhelming majority. Also confused as to why pizza parties are of the devil :twisted: Who doesn't like pizza?

I always find it vaguely ironic that they took the phrase "one nation indivisible" and divided it to stick god in there :roll:

Where do the fundies develop this persecution complex? It's really super hard to be persecuted when you're part of an overwhelming majority. Also confused as to why pizza parties are of the devil :twisted: Who doesn't like pizza?

Pizza is the favorite food of Belzebub.

It sounds like the writer has an issue with kids having fun instead of being terrified.

There isn't a lot of emphasis on being meek and mild among the Christians who read On The Box. It's a little scary to think how they would respond to imagined persecution.

I think not only should the above article be read, but also the video watched, by American Christians, beginning with "youth groups."

Youth Group, Thursday Night, 6pm: Gory Islamic Beheadings Special! Bring a Friend! Snacks will be provided.

Wow, that really sounds like this bloke knows how to put the "fun" in fundie. :roll:

I have never been fond of Piper, and am at a loss to explain the love affair many "fundy-lites" have with Piper and his teachings.

But I am now starting to think that Piper is really losing it, as in way-off-the-deep-end losing it.

If I stand on my head, close one eye, and squint, I can sort of understand the "persecution" thing because I went to a high school where saying something as innocuous as "Ugh, I had to get up so early for church last Sunday" would likely incite a rant about the evils of organized religion. There ARE places where it's not necessarily easy to be a Christian, although I don't think I would call that persecution. I don't know what I would call it. People on both sides of the equation being intolerant of anyone different, maybe.

I think some of these fundies need to feel persecuted because it helps them justify their lifestyle. If they're not persecuted Christians living exactly the way God wants them to, despite worldly heathens attacking them at every turn, then they're just weirdos who have a lot of kids and dress funny, and that's no fun at all. :banana-angel:

There ARE places where it's not necessarily easy to be a Christian

Well, my understanding is it's not supposed to be!

This is like the fundiebloggers who whine about being hated for the Lord (not saying you are like them, O Latin, I mean the sort of person who would prefer to watch a beheading than have a pizza party.)

If they didn't borrow other people's oppression and decide a handful of folk snarking at them on this series of tubes was the equivalent of being tortured and then publically executed, they'd have to face up to some pretty harsh truths. Chief amongst these being if you're living a cushy life in the richest country in the world and your main interaction with the poor is complaining about them online for being insufficiently holy, you're doing Christianity wrong.

No one should be beheaded, not for anything. It is a frightening reality that there are places on earth where you can lose your head (literally) for losing your religion.

We don't need to worry about this happening in any statistically significant number in the US because our government is not allowed to get involved in religious matters. But if evangelical Christians have their way, we/they will no longer have that protection. Do they understand that the theocracy they idealize is the first step to beheadings and all manner of ugliness?

The lesson behind these beheadings is not that Christians should feel afraid of Muslims. The lesson is that we all should be afraid of religiopolitical groups.

I know that's not a real word, btw, I just thought it was the best one for the sitch.

I love how they think that a segment of the population that is only like 2 million people is going to take over the other 304 million.

I don't think that the Christians on that particualr forum are afraid of Muslims but of our government

Here is what papaking wrote:

Tony, I enjoyed the repost from John Piper. I support his ministry ( DesiringGOD ), as your ministries from the present and past. America is on the brink of becoming the modern day Nazi Germany, and they are too blind to see it. The censorship is just the beginning along with the state run media networks. All of us need to draw closer to the Savior and put our complete trust, faith, and service in Him. Wake up America! You desperately Need GOD. The website is on my profile. GOD Bless! Give my best to Chad, and the rest of the crew. You are such a blessing to me.

Considering most violent criminals self identify as Christians or have a Christian background I am way more worried about being beheaded by a Christian.

What?!

If anything, it's far more likely some rabid fundies will gain power and Muslims, Atheists, LGBT people etc. will be beheaded. How can Christians feel persecuted in a country where their religion is the majority? It just boggles my mind.

What?!

If anything, it's far more likely some rabid fundies will gain power and Muslims, Atheists, LGBT people etc. will be beheaded. How can Christians feel persecuted in a country where their religion is the majority? It just boggles my mind.

Yep. We already have fundie politicians in gov't who support the bill in Uganda that says gay people should be killed.

Archived