IGNORED

Inashoe crew church retreat.

VeraAnne

Inashoe is one of the fundy boots that I've read the longest, and I've always thought the kids seemed pretty normal.

Right now Kim has a few posts up about their church retreat where the girls were doing zip lines and shooting paintball guns.

That, plus her birthday post for lydia makes me think that their girls really might have a normal life outside of being a homemaker. I even think that Kim and Perry would be ok with it.

What do you guys think?

No,they would not.

The Coghlans is an enigma.On the surface they seem normal,even liberal parents.The kids are imaginative,spirited,very well read,not sheltered in the least who would fit in at any college...but also hate feminism,go on the anti abortion trail as young children and the girls are trained to be Godly help meets-they are the model VF FAMILY.

Inashoe is one of the fundy boots that I've read the longest, and I've always thought the kids seemed pretty normal.

Right now Kim has a few posts up about their church retreat where the girls were doing zip lines and shooting paintball guns.

That, plus her birthday post for lydia makes me think that their girls really might have a normal life outside of being a homemaker. I even think that Kim and Perry would be ok with it.

What do you guys think?

I've only been reading them a short time but I agree with you.

Plus she seems to follow all the flaky things. like the world is not overpopulated woman should not work. no doctors give birth on a pooped on deck and drop the baby type of adventure. mom kicks back pumps out babies daughters do all the work. really stacked like cordwood in a small room on cosco shelving.

their children sleep through the night at an apallingly young age and she feeds on a schedule...yeah, nope, fucked up.

Sorry for veering off topic, but wasn't it the norm for middle-class mothers to feed on a schedule in the 1940s and 1950s? (Harriette Arnow addressed this method of rearing children with the Anderson family characters in her novel "The Dollmaker.") Not that this makes it the right way to bring up kids, but apparently many babies still managed to turn out perfectly fine.

Sorry for veering off topic, but wasn't it the norm for middle-class mothers to feed on a schedule in the 1940s and 1950s? (Harriette Arnow addressed this method of rearing children with the Anderson family characters in her novel "The Dollmaker.") Not that this makes it the right way to bring up kids, but apparently many babies still managed to turn out perfectly fine.

My nana was raising kids then and said she'd never heard of schedule feeding, so not in her experience. Maybe for others, though- the practice needs to go the ways of all the other unsavory things from the 1950s!

their children sleep through the night at an apallingly young age and she feeds on a schedule...yeah, nope, fucked up.

And the warehouse them on those horrible shelves.

And the warehouse them on those horrible shelves.

sp they can have a LIBRARY. I love books, but children having adequate and appropriate sleeping spaces trumps the books having their own room! ARGH.

LiaS is up there with Lora Lyn for me- I think its possible for people to read their blogs and come away thinking they're not too extreme, but dig deeper and its a whole well of crazycakes.

I can never get past the contradiction of their family. They are a model QF family, living exactly the way VF would tell the world to live. Their single income is even derived from working at VF, but their family lives in near squalor. Dear interns: this is the reality of life for most of the people who buy into Vision Forum/ATI.

-Their home is built (partially) on someone else's land because they couldn't afford/couldn't be bothered with an appropriate survey.

-Their home is in a constant state of construction because they are building it themselves in a catch-as-catch-can manner while living in it. Sorry, TLC is not beating down the door to finish off a 7000 square foot mansion with new furniture and a grand piano. That includes rooms divided by partial walls and no wall/floor coverings even with small children all over the place.

-The children are literally stacked like cordwood on shelving units that have almost as much space on them as a navy bunk, and even less headroom.

-Their home has absolutely no storage space because closets are hard to build or something. Their clothing gets stored outside, underneath the house, to end up full of insects and torn apart by wildlife. But it's ok, because it teaches the kids a valuable lesson on how to get by with less :roll:

-They live in Texas with no central heat/air. That wouldn't be bad in and of itself, but they haven't used any of the building methods that natives of the southwest used for centuries in order to survive the extreme heat and rapid-cycling temperatures. They don't have the time and/or expertise to bother. I'm pretty sure the main reason they're allowed to wear sleeveless tops and shorter bottoms is because they could literally suffer heatstroke in a full modesty getup.

-They don't have insurance, and instead rely on Samaritan Ministries. Yep, that's right, apparently Vision Forum doesn't provide medical insurance for its employees and their families. Way to celebrate that culture of life, Dougie.

Kim and Perry have forced their family to live like this because they were sucked into Vision Forum, and what have they gotten from it? They can barely scrape up enough to live on, and you can bet they're not the ones taking extensive trips overseas. I personally don't care what they might allow their kids to do in the future; what they've done to them up to this point is unconscionable.

I can never get past the contradiction of their family. They are a model QF family, living exactly the way VF would tell the world to live. Their single income is even derived from working at VF, but their family lives in near squalor. Dear interns: this is the reality of life for most of the people who buy into Vision Forum/ATI.

Don't be hating. though it is all true :lol:

What do you guys think?

She posted once that her girls were not going to work outside the home when they got married. I remember because I commented on that post. She deleted the post.

-Their home has absolutely no storage space because closets are hard to build or something. Their clothing gets stored outside, underneath the house, to end up full of insects and torn apart by wildlife. But it's ok, because it teaches the kids a valuable lesson on how to get by with less :roll:
Pretty sure they don't do that any more, and now have a shed to store clothes and other things in.

Like Vera, I find some of the forwardness and 'realness' refreshing, but underneath it all there's so much that's seriously wrong. I really appreciate that Kim didn't end up going on a man-worshipping spiel when her dad died - she was surprisingly honest, which was kind of touching, about the fact that they hadn't had a perfect relationship and he hadn't been a perfect person. They make jokes, they genuinely enjoy each other's company, they're affectionate and goofy and whatever 'keep sweet' attitude is there isn't enough to stop them from occasionally acknowledging that yeah, it does get hot in Texas, and yeah, it would be nice to have more than one bathroom. So. That's cool. But the rest of it is hideous.

-Their home is built (partially) on someone else's land because they couldn't afford/couldn't be bothered with an appropriate survey.

-Their home is in a constant state of construction because they are building it themselves in a catch-as-catch-can manner while living in it. Sorry, TLC is not beating down the door to finish off a 7000 square foot mansion with new furniture and a grand piano. That includes rooms divided by partial walls and no wall/floor coverings even with small children all over the place.

-The children are literally stacked like cordwood on shelving units that have almost as much space on them as a navy bunk, and even less headroom.

-They live in Texas with no central heat/air. That wouldn't be bad in and of itself, but they haven't used any of the building methods that natives of the southwest used for centuries in order to survive the extreme heat and rapid-cycling temperatures. They don't have the time and/or expertise to bother. I'm pretty sure the main reason they're allowed to wear sleeveless tops and shorter bottoms is because they could literally suffer heatstroke in a full modesty getup.

-They don't have insurance, and instead rely on Samaritan Ministries. Yep, that's right, apparently Vision Forum doesn't provide medical insurance for its employees and their families. Way to celebrate that culture of life, Dougie.

Kim and Perry have forced their family to live like this because they were sucked into Vision Forum, and what have they gotten from it? They can barely scrape up enough to live on, and you can bet they're not the ones taking extensive trips overseas. I personally don't care what they might allow their kids to do in the future; what they've done to them up to this point is unconscionable.

Thank you. Excellent reality check.

don't forget the best one where hubby was supposed to catch the baby and dropped him on the washed poopy deck. that's a classic. waiting for the duggers to match that one.

Thank you!! Couldn't say it better!

don't forget the best one where hubby was supposed to catch the baby and dropped him on the washed poopy deck. that's a classic. waiting for the duggers to match that one.

Yea a slip and fall on a placenta now that would be funny. :dance:

She posted once that her girls were not going to work outside the home when they got married. I remember because I commented on that post. She deleted the post.

Was it the post about how women working outside the home were basically selfish whores who were dooming their children to a lifetime of Godlessness? Commenters were encouraging one of the other commenters who--no joke--lived in a run-down house with rodents and snakes in the walls, had thousands of dollars in medical debt, and was in serious default on the loan for their single car. She just *knew* that keeping her kids in that situation so she could homeschool them was the Godly decision.

If I remember correctly she didn't outright say her daughters wouldn't work outside the home when they were married. She did say that it was an 'authority' issue, and the husband would be the one to make that decision. Also, she and Perry would be very, very disappointed if that was the decision their daughter and her husband made. Poor girls.

Was it the post about how women working outside the home were basically selfish whores who were dooming their children to a lifetime of Godlessness? Commenters were encouraging one of the other commenters who--no joke--lived in a run-down house with rodents and snakes in the walls, had thousands of dollars in medical debt, and was in serious default on the loan for their single car. She just *knew* that keeping her kids in that situation so she could homeschool them was the Godly decision.

If I remember correctly she didn't outright say her daughters wouldn't work outside the home when they were married. She did say that it was an 'authority' issue, and the husband would be the one to make that decision. Also, she and Perry would be very, very disappointed if that was the decision their daughter and her husband made. Poor girls.

I'm not sure. I don't remember that part. What I do remember is that she had said something to the effect that education was not a priority for the girls because their goal was not college. She said education was for the purpose of the girls teaching their children. She had come right out and said that she did not want her daughters to work outside the home because it was not biblical. I told her that she had no idea where God was going to lead her daughters and it was wrong to speak for Him and tell them what He wants. That is a personal issue between each person and God. I tried to find the post more than once and couldn't. I only use this name to post here and comment on fundie blogs. There are other people on the internet who use the name theologygeek but they are not me. I tried to do a search with my name on her blog but couldn't find the post. But then again, not too many fundie bloggers publish my comments. I tried other variations of the search too without my name and still couldn't find the post.

I have asked about plans after the kids turn 18, but I don't think she's ever answered. Her girls seem so spirited, I just can't imagine them all becoming homemakers and MOMYS.

Ah yes, the fundie blog that never ceases to puzzle. On the one hand, creativity and spiritedness are to some extent encouraged. On the other, Kim believes crazy things like abortion should be illegal even in cases of ectopic pregnancy. On the one hand, the girls often wear pants and tank tops and love to hunt and play with reptiles and bugs. On the other, the family espouses patriarchy 110% and their daughters are taught that their sole purpose in life is to obey their father, and later their husbands, as good homemakers. Quite the enigma. Personally, I'm crossing my fingers that at least some of the kids draw on that spiritedness they seem to have for strength, and do their own thing in the future.

Archived