IGNORED

Courtesy of the Seppi blog, it's Shoshanna's Cramp Tincture

Deleted12

midol works fine for me.

On a different note, are the Seppis Lutheran? This Reformation Day celebration by the fundies has me entertained. Are they aware of what Reformation Day was? Doubt it, as a lot of what Martin Luther posted they would immediately shun as "not Christian"

Every time I look at your avatar I think Doug is wearing a prison issue jumpsuit. The color is pretty similar to the ones they were in LA County.

Shoshanna's Cramp Tincture honestly makes a better sleep aid--chamomile and valerian? Sure, they'll relax your uterus (cramps are just contractions) but you'll be a zombie throughout your period, if you weren't before.

Shoshanna's Cramp Tincture honestly makes a better sleep aid--chamomile and valerian? Sure, they'll relax your uterus (cramps are just contractions) but you'll be a zombie throughout your period, if you weren't before.

Sounds weird!

It's vodka flavored with herbs that ferments for six weeks. Um, yeah, if I took that I might feel better too.

*Edited because I left out words.

It's vodka flavored with herbs for six weeks. Um, yeah, if I took that I might feel better too.

I make a pot tincture (my great Aunt a Russian herb lady would do the same), and add some catnip and herbs and use a good homemade vanilla vodka at 100 proof. Use with caution...

It's vodka flavored with herbs for six weeks. Um, yeah, if I took that I might feel better too.

I just had some "cramp tincture" made with Bacardi, OJ, lime mineral water, and grenadine, and it really helped! :D

When I was in high school, we weren't allowed to drink, of course. My best friend's brother solved that problem for us. He made home-made flavored vodkas. After it sat for however many weeks with raspberries or whatever, he strained the fruit and let us eat it. Best fruit ever. Until we had way - way - too much one night. I haven't been a vodka fan since.

I have horrible cramps monthly that nothing otc will even touch.

My midwife suggested in all seriousness doing shots and taking a hot bath and see if that helps at all.

I have horrible cramps monthly that nothing otc will even touch.

My midwife suggested in all seriousness doing shots and taking a hot bath and see if that helps at all.

I like my magic bag, but I lost it :(

Have you tried raspberry leaves tea? it helps me...

I make a pot tincture (my great Aunt a Russian herb lady would do the same), and add some catnip and herbs and use a good homemade vanilla vodka at 100 proof. Use with caution...

If it's good enough for Queen Victoria, it's good enough for the rest of us :D

I give my cats valerian sometimes. It's like turbo catnip.

I think I'll stick with ibuprofen. Lots and lots of it. I don't know who invented the stuff but that person has my eternal gratitude.

I think I'll stick with ibuprofen. Lots and lots of it. I don't know who invented the stuff but that person has my eternal gratitude.

That's basically the purpose of the white willow in the tincture. Willow bark? Oldest aspirin there is!

The only really useful herb in the mixture is the cramp bark, and frankly I'd rather just have a cramp bark tincture in a little rum to hide the taste. :D

That's basically the purpose of the white willow in the tincture. Willow bark? Oldest aspirin there is!

The only really useful herb in the mixture is the cramp bark, and frankly I'd rather just have a cramp bark tincture in a little rum to hide the taste. :D

Hey thanks! I remembered my friend giving me the name of a tincture, but could not remember the name of it. I'll try to get some!

I think cramp bark is supposed to be useful. Aspirin of any type never works for me. It just gives me a stomachache. Heat and exercises don't work well either. Usually I just have to wait for the day to pass. Before I started on birth control, I was in horrific pain for a week straight and absolutely nothing helped. Now it's down to one day. Not sure what these poor fundie girls do if they had my condition. God bless birth control. I mean that. Even better, the type that lets you only have a cycle every three months (best blessing ever!)

Before I got on birth control, I'd be in horrible pain for a day or two, and bleed very, very heavily. Birth control lightened my flow a LOT (I rarely have to use 'super' tampons!) but I still can't get rid of the cramps, no matter what I take.

It never occurred to me to have alcohol, but I'm still too young to legally buy or drink alcohol. Of course I can't have this particular tincture since it's got willow bark in it, and it's advised that people with asthma and aspirin allergies don't take willow bark... plus I'd probably just get sick from the alcohol. :(

I just mix cramp bark and water together and wash it down with a spoonful of honey. Throw in some motrin or midol every other month, when it gets seriously painful. One month it was so bad, I was a freshman in college, that I took muscle relaxants prescribed for my back. I thought I was dying. Its never been that bad again *knock on wood* but it seriously scarred me for life.

I can't do hormonal birth control, even though its been recommended for my cramps and for my skin, so I'm a big fan of anything herbal. But valerian is for sleepytime. This whole tincture seems to sum up fundie attitude towards women: quit your bitching and go to sleep!

ETA: She sounds fucking scary in that video. And acetaminophen occasionally is not going to destroy your liver. Its also acetaminophen, not just tylonel, I don't get the referring to things by brand name. I'd be more concerned about the vodka, seriously. It seemed a little like a parody at that point...here is this seriously scary fundie girl who hates women grabbing a forty and telling you to strain and enjoy!

Looks to me like Shoshanna has just reinvented Lydia Pinkham's herbal tonic, which kept thousands of women in the 19th century happily and respectably tipsy, during menstruation and between periods.

I've found that one of the best forms of cramp relief is sex. An orgasm is a wonderful thing.

Yea, that does not work when you are single.

In my experience, it is easier to get things done yourself when you are in pain. It is too easy for a partner to move wrong and make it worse.

Guest Anonymous

Anyone else reminded of the "Lily the Pink" song?

Here's a story, a little bit gory,

A little bit happy, a little bit sad,

Of Lily the Pink and her medicinal compound,

And how it slowly drove her to the bad.

Meet Ebenezer, thought he was Julius Caesar.

So they put him in a home.

And then they gave him medicinal compound,

And now he's Emporer of Rome.

We'll drink a drink a drink

To Lily the pink the pink the pink

The savior of [the savior of] the human race.

She invented medicinal compound.

Most efficacious in every case.

Meet Johnny Hammer had a t-t-terrible s-s-stammer.

He could b-barely say a word.

So they gave him medicinal compound,

And now he's seen, but never heard.

And Freddie Clinger, the opera singer,

Who could break glasses with his voice they said.

So on his tonsils he rubbed medicinal compound,

And now they break glasses over his head.

And Mr. Frears, who had sticky out ears.

And it made him awful shy.

So they gave him medicinal compound,

And now he's learning how to fly.

And Uncle Paul, he was very small. He

Was the shortest man in town.

So on his body he rubbed medicinal compound,

And now he's six foot, but it's underground.

Lily died and went up to heaven.

Oh, the church bells they did ring.

She took with her medicinal compound.

Hark the herald angels sing.

I found a video on youtube, the lyrics are a bit different, but that's typical in traditional songs. Everyone seems to have their own version.

MJIZGTYHhWI

Archived