IGNORED

Bob Jones U rewards Phelps (Tina's pastor at time of rape)

Brainsample

chucklestravels.wordpress.com/2011/11/01/chuck-phelps-returns-to-board-of-bob-jones-university/

I discovered this blog soon after ABC did their expose on sexual abuse cover ups in the IFB, and I thought this was noteworthy. They've been following this type of abuse in the IFB.

According to “Chuckles,†Tina Anderson's pastor who tried to cover up her rape, Chuck Phelps, was just appointed to the Cooperating Board of Bob Jones University. I guess that it is his reward for so faithfully standing up for the principles of the IFB against the “strange women†that attempt to dishonor the good pastors of the IFB.

To refresh your memory, Tina Anderson attended an Independent Fundamental Baptist church while she was growing up. She was raped by her abusive step-father who had already been put away once for physically beating Tina and her brother. Between jail sentences, he raped young Tina who told her pastor, but after they'd already sent him to jail again for molesting another unnamed minor.

Tina told her pastor, and Tina alleged that Phelps required her to go to the jail to “forgive†her step-father. Tina babysat for a family in the church and had a close relationship with them, so while looking for support and comfort (her mother seems like a wizbang), she confided her story in the parents of the kids she sat for all the time.

Many churches in the IFB teach that “strange women†(the direct translation for a prostitute in the Old Testament) have a personality or disposition that is sexual and perverse, and children who are molested exhibit this character of soul. Ron Williams of Hephzibah House teaches this. So you can be a three year old little girl, and if an adult molests you, you are not only partially culpable for the loss of your virginity and the sin of fornication, you were the first cause because you enticed some poor helpless man with your “strange woman†soul. There is also such a focus placed on sexual purity, those young women who have “lost†their purity are attributed with little value, having limited opportunities in all of life, for the rest of their life. It appears that some men in the IFB see these young women as what I describe as “bruised fruit.†They are only really good for one thing, and since they are damaged, they feel the liberty to be able to indulge their own power urges by also raping these young women. What will it hurt? (ABC featured two women that experienced this, but I've heard it from the women who survived Hephzibah House as well. It is a dumping ground for girls like Tina. And by the time you get out of that hell hole, you believe that you are deserving of all manner of mistreatment.)

Back to Tina. She confides to Ernie Willis and his wife (she babysits their kids) that she has been molested by her step-dad who is already in jail for sexual assault of another minor. Ernie Willis, like other men in the IFB reportedly do when they encounter these strange little women, also molests Tina, the bruised fruit who is no longer pure. He allegedly takes her out before her 16th birthday to practice driving and then rapes her. He comes to her home and rapes her again. (That's what the jury decided.) She gets pregnant.

Enter Pastor Chuck Phelps again... Tina and her mother go to Phelps for help. Phelps claims that he reported the rape (but the police can find no record of it 13 years later). He requires Tina to get up in front of the church, confess that she's been in sin with someone and got pregnant. On the same day, before the congregation, Phelps makes Willis confess that he committed adultery, but it is never told to the church that Willis “was unfaithful with Tina†and Tina's baby is his. The mother and the pastor ship Tina off to an IFB family where she is homeschooled, kept in seclusion so her sin doesn't affect members of their church in Colorado by interacting with people her age there, her contact with her family is limited, she has no contact with her friends at home, and then, she gives birth to the baby.

Fast forward 13 years, and a friend of Tina's reports this rape on Jocelyn Zichterman's Facebook Page about the cultic nature of the IFB. The police pursue the case, it is prosecuted in 2010, and Willis goes to jail for sexual assault. (He pled guilty of statutory rape in hopes that he could convince the jury that the rapes were consensual.)

During the trial, Phelps was called because someone at the church must have found files and turn them over to the police. Phelps tried to claim that he did not need to testify. He (and Tina's mother) denied having knowledge of the step-father's sexual abuse and deny taking her to the jail, trying to make Tina look like a confabulator and someone obsessed with such themes. Long story short, he tried to play dumb and innocent while he was online trashing Tina. Before the trial, he told ABC News who tracked him down in the parking lot of his church that he believed the “relationship†between Tina and Ernest Willis to be a consensual sexual relationship. (Tina was a minor, but don't forget the anti-woman bias of the IFB and the doctrine maintained in many of the churches that Tina was a “strange woman†who had enticed Willis and called for her own abuse. She was likely seen as the causative factor in her rape by her step-father. (Willis is convicted by the jury.)

So Bob Jones University is rewarding Chuck Phelps now, putting him back on the Cooperating Board of the College for his fine service. Big surprise.

I go to Greenville, SC occasionally to visit a friend. While visiting, I've driven by Bob Jones U a couple of times. I get the most creepy feeling from that place. Years ago I drove past a survivalist's compound in the Nevada desert and got the same feeling of darkness and evil. It's like a hostility emanates from the campus. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it, but my (Christian) friend said she also got a funny feeling driving past it. So I guess it stands to reason that they would honor someone like Phelps.

I know what you are talking about deelaem. Some of the door-to-door proselytizers set off my 'dangerous person' meter.

For people who are so wrapped up in getting to heaven, they surely don't seem to believe they should be accountable to anyone. It's disgusting.

I really thought I couldn't have more disdain for BJU, I guess, but this makes me rethink that.

For people who are so wrapped up in getting to heaven, they surely don't seem to believe they should be accountable to anyone. It's disgusting.

I really thought I couldn't have more disdain for BJU, I guess, but this makes me rethink that.

That superiority is really all a part of how they got started, in a way. John R. Rice was offended by Billy Graham who pursued "evangelicalism" over "fundamentalism," and the IFB came out of the controversy over what was seen as evangelicalism's going soft on primary doctrine. So they separated from other Baptists because they had a purer form of doctrine and were not compromising on standards of conduct as well. Graham was more about blending into the culture and, if you will, an ecumenical type of effort among Christians/Protestants. (I don't know if he was also a part of the effort to build bridges with Catholics.)

So the IFB is really an elitist group who believes that they themselves define THE standard, so why should they be accountable to anyone? They're the only ones who have it right. They are called to be "separate" and created their "Doctrine of Separation" (elitist, pious separation from all of their impure lessers) which I didn't realize was a real and formal doctrine until after the Tina Anderson episode on 20/20 and the Schatz trial.

I read on Cheryl Schatz' blog that the "Pyromaniacs" (a bunch of elitist reformed baptists who pride themselves on being intellectuals) had a video complaining about the "monstrous regiment of the discernment divas" who screech or something in their decrying some of the doctrines and falsehoods in the church. The video is 40 minutes long, and I watched it. They are essentially talking about this same stuff that the IFB carried on about and still does, and how it's wrong to hobnob too much with those who they believe are messed up.

Here's Cheryl's post for those who are interested, and you can link over to the Pyro bunch from there. strivetoenter.com/wim/2011/10/29/phil-johnson-monstrous-divas/ (Considering that they recommend Voddie's book on courtship and I found that he devotes two pages in that book to my own discernment diva screeching, I'm probably part of the monstrous regiment. I hope that I make FJ proud.)

Another blog post on that blog concerning ignored and deleted posts on BJU's FB concerning Phelps:

Chucklestravels.wordpress.com/2011/11/02/bob-jones-ignores-and-deletes-questions/

That superiority is really all a part of how they got started, in a way. John R. Rice was offended by Billy Graham who pursued "evangelicalism" over "fundamentalism," and the IFB came out of the controversy over what was seen as evangelicalism's going soft on primary doctrine. So they separated from other Baptists because they had a purer form of doctrine and were not compromising on standards of conduct as well. Graham was more about blending into the culture and, if you will, an ecumenical type of effort among Christians/Protestants. (I don't know if he was also a part of the effort to build bridges with Catholics.)

So the IFB is really an elitist group who believes that they themselves define THE standard, so why should they be accountable to anyone? They're the only ones who have it right. They are called to be "separate" and created their "Doctrine of Separation" (elitist, pious separation from all of their impure lessers) which I didn't realize was a real and formal doctrine until after the Tina Anderson episode on 20/20 and the Schatz trial.

I read on Cheryl Schatz' blog that the "Pyromaniacs" (a bunch of elitist reformed baptists who pride themselves on being intellectuals) had a video complaining about the "monstrous regiment of the discernment divas" who screech or something in their decrying some of the doctrines and falsehoods in the church. The video is 40 minutes long, and I watched it. They are essentially talking about this same stuff that the IFB carried on about and still does, and how it's wrong to hobnob too much with those who they believe are messed up.

Here's Cheryl's post for those who are interested, and you can link over to the Pyro bunch from there. strivetoenter.com/wim/2011/10/29/phil-johnson-monstrous-divas/ (Considering that they recommend Voddie's book on courtship and I found that he devotes two pages in that book to my own discernment diva screeching, I'm probably part of the monstrous regiment. I hope that I make FJ proud.)

So BJU is IFB?

Is there anything FJers can do about putting the rape supporting preacher on the boards?

Back in the day, BJU asked the state of SC if it could arm its guards with sumachine guns. I lived in SC at the time.

So BJU is IFB?

BJU's founder (Bob Jones, Sr) was a Methodist. BJU is, at least officially, non-denominational. They do have many graduates who are IFB, but also Presbyterian, conservative non-denominational, etc.

They do not ordain their ministerial graduates. The ministerial graduates go back to their own church/denomination to be ordained. That said, they do have many grads who are IFB.

Churches in the IFB teach that “strange women†(the direct translation for a prostitute in the Old Testament) have a personality or disposition that is sexual and perverse, and children who are molested exhibit this character of soul. Ron Williams of Hephzibah House teaches this. So you can be a three year old little girl, and if an adult molests you, you are not only partially culpable for the loss of your virginity and the sin of fornication, you were the first cause because you enticed some poor helpless man with your “strange woman†soul. There is also such a focus placed on sexual purity, those young women who have “lost†their purity are attributed with little value, having limited opportunities in all of life, for the rest of their life. It appears that some men in the IFB see these young women as what I describe as “bruised fruit.†They are only really good for one thing, and since they are damaged, they feel the liberty to be able to indulge their own power urges by also raping these young women.

...and just when I think I cannot be outraged or sickened even more by something I read about the truly crazed fundies, I read something like this. How the? What the? So, let me get this straight, they think a toddler can be "enticing" to a grown man, and said molested toddler is f'ing culpable? Excuse me? You want to talk about character of soul? Someone who believes that has neither character nor a soul. And that continued rape is "ok" because "she's already ruined"?

This is quite honestly the first time something I've read on FJ has made me actually vomit, and not in my mouth a little bit. I am so disgusted, I think I need to walk away for the evening. I don't even have the curse words I want to hurl (heh). When I have calmed down, I am doing research. I've got things to say, and I cannot organize my thoughts.

BJU's founder (Bob Jones, Sr) was a Methodist. BJU is, at least officially, non-denominational. They do have many graduates who are IFB, but also Presbyterian, conservative non-denominational, etc.

They do not ordain their ministerial graduates. The ministerial graduates go back to their own church/denomination to be ordained. That said, they do have many grads who are IFB.

They are considered by the IFB as one of their own colleges, whether the original BJ was Methodist or not. They are a huge part of holding the IFB unoffical network together. On paper, they may be non-denominational, but they are the ultimate in super fundie, and they are swarming with Baptists.

But that's how cults like to have it -- nothing formal.

...and just when I think I cannot be outraged or sickened even more by something I read about the truly crazed fundies, I read something like this. How the? What the? So, let me get this straight, they think a toddler can be "enticing" to a grown man, and said molested toddler is f'ing culpable? Excuse me? You want to talk about character of soul? Someone who believes that has neither character nor a soul. And that continued rape is "ok" because "she's already ruined"?

This is quite honestly the first time something I've read on FJ has made me actually vomit, and not in my mouth a little bit. I am so disgusted, I think I need to walk away for the evening. I don't even have the curse words I want to hurl (heh). When I have calmed down, I am doing research. I've got things to say, and I cannot organize my thoughts.

Angri-la,

The sermon appears on the internet archive, but it is LONG. I started transcribing it, but it is so horrible, I never finished it.

http://www.archive.org/details/StrangeWomanDoctrine

I go to Greenville, SC occasionally to visit a friend. While visiting, I've driven by Bob Jones U a couple of times. I get the most creepy feeling from that place. Years ago I drove past a survivalist's compound in the Nevada desert and got the same feeling of darkness and evil. It's like a hostility emanates from the campus. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it, but my (Christian) friend said she also got a funny feeling driving past it. So I guess it stands to reason that they would honor someone like Phelps.

I drive past BJU every time I go to work and I get the same feeling. OF course, the fact that I am blaring heavy metal when I drive by might be part of the reason. And I have had their campus police follow me one night (Until I called the police on them). It was about 2am. I called county on them (even though they are in city limits). Hasn't happened since but I wonder how many other women driving late at night have been followed by the campus police. (And as BJU is private, they are NOT part of the State police, unlike campus police from Clemson U, USC or the technical colleges).

One of our local DJ's is persona non grata at BJU after he dumped a bottle of Tide detergent in their fountain. He is my hero. :D

I had met Bob Jones Jr. back in 93, and he was a very articulate man. Very soft spoken and very intelligent. He could fool you into thinking that he was a great guy and lull you into a false sense of security. Stephen, though he has the same beliefs of his father, is not like that. You know exactly what you are meeting with him. He's course, and not very intelligent.

I live near Greenville and I totally agree about feeling the hostility emanating from Bob Jones. A few years ago I was in Asheville, NC at a birth conference where Ina May Gaskin was speaking. During the lunch break, I was talking with a woman from Charlotte about how much we liked the Asheville area. She told me that she could feel the oppression hanging over Greenville like a dark cloud when she'd come into town. I agreed with her. I do know that the city of Spartanburg which is just 25 miles or so up I-85 just feels different.

Oh, Celtic Goddess, great minds think alike! I like to put the windows down and open up the sunroof and blast metal or punk when I drive past BJU.

They are considered by the IFB as one of their own colleges, whether the original BJ was Methodist or not. They are a huge part of holding the IFB unoffical network together. On paper, they may be non-denominational, but they are the ultimate in super fundie, and they are swarming with Baptists.

But that's how cults like to have it -- nothing formal.

I think you give "the IFB" credit for more unity than actually exists. And yes, there are "camps" within IFB circles, although no one will admit so. And yes, there IS a BJU "camp" of IFBs.

There are also IFBs who hate BJU (like some in the HAC "camp"). And now there is a whole culture of "Basement Bible Kawledges" associated with (usually small) IFB churches. As in, why should I send my kids off to someplace like BJU or HAC, when I can keep them at home and indoctrinate them in my unique flavor of IFB, while getting their money, and end up giving them a "degree" that won't allow them to leave my little kingdom to go anywhere else, even in IFBdom. (Sorry for the run-on sentence). These little Basement Bible Kawledges are helped along by SOTDRT "grads" who cannot meet the academic entrance requirements of BJU (which, for all BJU's faults, are fairly rigorous).

And then there is the whole "independent" (the I part of IFB). Nobody is gonna tell an IFB "preecher" what to do. My father (IFB all his adult life, and I am no defender of this) says, "Some people are independent Baptists because they can't get along with anyone but themselves."

Just my perspective. Not defending anything. (I was raised IFB. I was a student at BJU for one year before transferring out and getting the rest of my education and my degree from a secular university).

• 1 month later...

So it looks like the infamous Bob Jones University just decided in the past week that they might want to "revisit" their 'Sexual Abuse Policy', in a (feigned?) attempt to have their own policies and procedures "comply with the law".

Wow, in 2011 you are already looking to comply with national and state laws regarding sexual assault? How admirable! :pray:

My concern is that they are wanting to bring their procedures into compliance with the law, while still ensuring a "scripturally based response". So the scriptural response is to kill the rape victim (I think BJU campus is clearly within the city limits)- do they realize that disciplinary measure of death actually won't comply with state/national laws? :think:

Archived