IGNORED

Anti-fundie fiction

survivor

I was a member, though not very active, before the switch, but I just reregistered.

I am reading a book (weirdly recommended by Facebook ads) that is decidedly anti-fundie. They have the whole conservative Christian fundie thing down pat, though no mention of quiverfull or sahds. Full of wives not allowed to work, plain modest clothing, typical fundie belief system, etc.

It centers around abortion as an issue, is a dystopian book about a young woman who gets an abortion (against the law) and is punished by being colored red (other sins are different colors), and is about her awakening questioning all the religious beliefs she has been taught. At one point, she refers to her upbringing as a "prison."

It is called When She Woke.

The Terrorists of Irustan is about hyper-fundamentalism in a colony on another planet. The ancestral religion was probably Islam, but it's hard to tell. In any case, the outcome is the same: choosing to hew absolutely to an interpretation of a single verse of the holy book regardless of context or of the deaths caused thereby, dehumanization in the name of modesty, etc.

Just got reminded about Play With Fire by Dana Stabenow. It's part of an ongoing mystery series starring PI Kate Sugak. Alaska attracts a lot of American fundamentalists who have romantic fantasies about starting over in the pure wilderness to create a perfect religious society or, more cynically, like the lack of oversight and lack of opportunities for escape that the isolation of rural Alaska can provide. Play With Fire is set in a small community that has been taken over by a "church planting" operation that is destroying lives.

Archived