IGNORED

Dream TV Show Recommendations for the Duggars

GeoBQn

If you could get the Duggars to watch any TV show, what would it be? As much as I love animated comedies like The Simpsons, King of the Hill, and American Dad, they would probably be traumatized by all the foul language and irreverent attitudes. Plus, these shows are so reliant on pop culture that the Duggar kids have had no exposure to, so they would be practically incomprehensible.

So for my recommendation, I would pick the Twilight Zone (original series). I think this would be a great show for the Duggars for the following reasons:

-The Duggar kids are probably the only people left on Earth who don't know all the twist endings, so they can still be surprised by them.

-Since the show was made in the late 1950's and early 1960's, there is no swearing, no explicit sexual content, and minimal light violence. Everybody is dressed modestly.

-The show is great at making the audience think of philosophical questions, about things like the nature of mankind and the universe, fate vs. free will.

-There are many episodes with themes that the Duggars should see and think carefully about. There are episodes showing the dangers of blind faith, conformity, and paranoia. There are ones about how misguided people are when they indulge to much in nostalgia or focusing on how things were better in "the good old days." There are ones that show no matter what we do, bad things will always happen to good people. Even in the Twilight Zone, nobody has the magic code to make life go exactly the way you want.

What was the name of that creepy TV show with all of those dream sequences in it that ran in the late 80s? I fell asleep in front of the TV way back then and woke up to it and was freaked. I never watched it, but as dysphoric as it seemed, it might play with their heads.

Or, what about that old Leonard Nimoy paranormal show from the '70s? I wouldn't want the kids to watch it, just JB and J'chelle.

I like the Twilight Zone recommendation.

I agree with the OP, the Duggars would be traumitized by the FOX animation shows. But I would recommend that the Duggars watch some of the tamer episodes of The Simpsons.

Ah, what the hell. Let the older ones (Joseph and up) watch Boardwalk Empire. That would really give them an eyeful!

How about the Waltons? On the surface, it could pass, since it is about a large Christian family but the show does sneak in some liberal ideas.

How about the Waltons? On the surface, it could pass, since it is about a large Christian family but the show does sneak in some liberal ideas.

That is a good recommendation.

NCIS, just because it's my favorite show ever and Mark Harmon is so wonderfully defrauding, but it does also have some good examples of smart, strong, career-focused women.

I loved Cosmos and Nova, and I watched them faithfully in HS. I didn't agree with their conclusions, but they provoked such great ideas and prompted some of the most wonderful conversations with my mentor. But I was trained to be a Christian who thinks, not to memorize facts to spit them back. I chewed on the info from those shows. I remember going into Christian school and asking my teacher what he thought the fifth dimension looked like. It stimulated one of the most memorable conversations of my life, as I recall.

I remembered "IN Search Of," episode of which could be creepy. Twin Peaks! That's the name of it. Weird show. I can imagine that disturbing JB.

I think they'd get a kick out of Beverly Hillbillies,Petticoat Junction or Green acres as I don't see any of them down for TV where you have to think to much.

Archived