IGNORED

John Shrader 21: Nine Years in Zambia and Still Failing

Coconut Flan

Well, Wade is just about as chatty as John is but not as sanctimonious yet.  He and his wife are still out drumming up support.  They did visit with his grandkids, though, and that was sweet.  

Spoiler

1592030422_Screenshot(13088).png.f2faf579a60459a19f2e51e8080eaec8.png86249791_Screenshot(13089).png.11955d8e97400a3d2ba53184ae657dc9.png

Maybe Rick knew what he was doing when he recruited Wade.  Wade had already helped bring in money to Shrader's ministry.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

Laughing at "we were amazed God had brought us together again" - what, in your not exactly huge pool of KJV-believing (in the correct way) Baptist churches you crossed paths again? Amazing!

I'm now wondering if Rick hopes Wade will be able to fund John and family as well as his own mission... yeah, I can't see that working out.

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

On 3/16/2023 at 2:01 AM, thoughtful said:

I didn't forget.

John looks in the mirror and sings:

The sinners are screaming and the fires are howling
Way down in hell’s belly tonight.
There are men in Lusaka with no God in their heart,
And their eyes shining, oh, so bright.
There's evil in the air, Pentecostals in the town,
And some Catholics on the bloodshot streets.
So, I talk and I lecture ’til their gorges are rising,
Oh, I swear I saw a young boy out in the pews there,
He was starting to foam in the heat.

Oh, Johnny, you're the only thing in this whole world
That's pure and good and right.
And wherever you are and wherever you go
There's always gonna be some light.
And I gotta share that, I gotta break it out now
Before the final Rapture calls.
So I hope Wade Mears will share his cool bike with me, please God,
When it gets here, I want to feel it ’neath my balls!

Like a bat out of hell, I'll save souls with that hog to help!
Oh, with a motorcycle, I’ll keep souls out of hell they’ll be saved, saved, saved!
Like a bat out of hell, I'll save souls with that hog to help!
And when the day is done and I’ve preached and preached,
To the ones who couldn’t see,
Then like a sinner before the gates of Heaven,
They’ll come crawlin' on back to me.

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram
On a silver black Phantom bike.
Oh, when the metal is hot and the engine is hungry
Then they’re all about to see the light.
No one ever stays or will give me their soul
Everyone is sinning and lost.
And no one really cares and no one is convinced.
But Esther says it’s worth the cost.
And I know that they’re damned if I never get them
And baby, they’re saved if I do.
So if only I can get my hot hands on you, bike,
You know I'll save all the damned with you.
I say I’ll save all the damned, you know I’ll save all the damned,
Riding through the night with you.
Well, yes, I’ll save all the damned, you know I’ll save all the damned
Save all the damned, you know I’ll save all the damned
Save all the damned, you know I’ll save all the damned
Riding through the night, Riding through the night
Riding through the night with you!

Hide contents

Thankyou dear Thoughtful I knew you would not disappoint! 

Spoiler

🤩

Not sure how I put a spoiler up there!!

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I know that you're going to be surprised and saddened to hear this but, alas, John is feeling persecuted again.  

Spoiler

1919401034_Screenshot(13106).png.71d858729e86841d8fa467c908a58fa6.png

People are finding fault, criticizing, and being offended when John points out that they're NOT DOING RELIGION THE RIGHT WAY!  He just wants everyone to pray for him and help him out of his depression spiral.  His attempts at alliteration (Difficult, Disheartening, Doubt) are enough to make me run screaming to the prayer closet.  I just hope there's wine...

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 5

"Lovingly yet firmly hold them to the Truth of the Word of God".

I cannot wait till he does that with the Mears.

What an utterly arrogant patronising tosser.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

New post up:

8857587_Screenshot(13132).png.31daa4cff60717a5faa946f8f3532f90.png

"God confirmed His Pleasure at obedience to His Word."  Why do I find that creepy?  Does Johnny now think that God is sending him special signs?  Even if he preaches a "difficult" sermon, will God always find a way to let John know that he's doing everything just right?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

I'm getting the feeling that his invasion of privacy has been called out, and that there are other rumblings of discontent in his congregation. His difficult sermon was him reasserting his moral superiority (the rest of his self-declared superiority was probably left unsaid, but clearly heard nonetheless) and it looks like the Mears may be in time for a mass exodus. I hope!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

I'm getting the feeling that his invasion of privacy has been called out, and that there are other rumblings of discontent in his congregation. His difficult sermon was him reasserting his moral superiority (the rest of his self-declared superiority was probably left unsaid, but clearly heard nonetheless) and it looks like the Mears may be in time for a mass exodus. I hope!

I hope you're right.  It would certainly amuse me to have the Mears arrive to find that John was already gone.  I think John got his feelings hurt that people didn't approve of his invasive Facebook post.  Didn't they understand that he was just doing it to ask for prayers???  I truly think the local Zambians are fed up with John and his superiority complex.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

He updated his latest post and added that there was resistance and interruption today. Wonder what that's all about. I sure hope he tells us! 

I'll share more later what God did today as we met around His Word...it was a difficult sermon, but an amazing day, and God confirmed His Pleasure at obedience to His Word in multiple ways.

We had 125 in attendance today, new visitors again, some resistance and interruption to the message, but one of the the most wonderful thing is the Peace of God that flooded our hearts as there was Obedience to the Truth in a hard situation. I've been so burdened lately, especially the past 10 days.

The other incredible blessing that came forth I will share, Lord Willing, tomorrow. Truly the Hand & Working of God.

What an amazing thing the Peace of God is, that "...passeth understanding..." able to "keep" our "...hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 6

9 minutes ago, NoneIsEnough said:

He updated his latest post and added that there was resistance and interruption today. Wonder what that's all about. I sure hope he tells us! 

The random capitalization and the mysterious problems that appear to be attention seeking instead of just saying the truth outloud.....makes me crazy. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

I wonder if the “resistance and interruption “ was just people getting up and leaving. Surely some of the people there get bored at the hours long service and then just go. Sometimes it only takes one person to start a chain which John would interpret as disobedience to god and not as criticism of how lousy he is at preaching.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

On 3/2/2023 at 10:55 PM, Xan said:

I bet the Mears' will be on the hook for their own living expenses.

I'd guess the Mearses will have Social Security, pensions and possibly life insurance payouts from their late spouses, so they should have a steady source of income from those sources.  I just hope they have a house to move back to if/when the whole Zambia thing implodes. 

Wanting to ship a motorcycle to Zambia is just idiotic - is it a sign that Bro. Mears won't be that adaptable to living in a foreign country in a different culture if he can't deal with a lost certified letter in the US? However, the photos of him with his grandkids are sweet.  Maybe he will try to truly connect and enjoy Zambians for themselves in a way that John never will. 

Bro. Mears has also lived a full adult life that includes working to support his family. 

Maybe he'll be a role model for the older Schrader boys to get them thinking about doing something besides God bothering their fellow humans. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 10

I really want to know what's going on over there in Zambia, Sub-Saharan Africa, Africa, Southern & Eastern Hemispheres, Earth!

This is from March 20 (bolding mine)

Dear Praying Friends,

Recently, I (John) have come to you and asked for your prayers. The recent months, and especially the past week and a half have been very difficult, and the details need not be rehearsed, other than to say that your prayers have been greatly and clearly felt over the past days, and especially yesterday as I preached the Word of the Living God.

I just wanted to express my deep gratitude for those of you that lifted us up to the Throne of Grace, and answered that call and request from my heart for your Intercessions.

God answered and gave such tremendous Peace, which only He can give by His Grace, and the ministry of His Holy Spirit.

The Illustration has been shared by others of holding a glass of water with an extended arm, and how after an hour it could cause muscle tiredness, and the longer you hold it, the heavier it feels and harder it is to hold out.

This is why we are told to "cast (our) burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain..." - Ps. 55:22

Thank you from my heart for your prayers,

Bro. John

Zambia

This is from today March 23

If the Devil is fighting, kicking, and stirring up trouble in our ministries, and God is working...

Well, that's why.

Let us not be surprised when the enemy of our Souls is unhappy that our God is at Work and doing something, and let us also not be "ignorant of his devices" nor be unprepared when his attacks come.

Let us keep humbling ourselves, and Submitting to God, that we may resist the Devil with the Strength that Comes from the Lord "...and the Power of His Might"

II Cor. 2:10,11; James 4:6-10; Eph. 6:10-19

May God be Glorified!

Bro. John

Zambia

Edited by NoneIsEnough
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

Icemaker broke?

I'm guessing ongoing over the photo, and potential long term mutterings of discontent coming to the fore again.

Would laugh if it's the land sale falling through.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

On 3/22/2023 at 8:14 AM, Howl said:

Wanting to ship a motorcycle to Zambia is just idiotic - is it a sign that Bro. Mears won't be that adaptable to living in a foreign country in a different culture if he can't deal with a lost certified letter in the US?

That’s how I’ve taken it, too. And then to find out it needs work done to it? Even more wtf. It’s like the Mears have a white savior / mediocre white man checklist they’re marking off as they go. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

On 3/19/2023 at 9:58 PM, Xan said:

I hope you're right.  It would certainly amuse me to have the Mears arrive to find that John was already gone.  I think John got his feelings hurt that people didn't approve of his invasive Facebook post.  Didn't they understand that he was just doing it to ask for prayers???  I truly think the local Zambians are fed up with John and his superiority complex.

I’m waiting for the locals to realise that the Mears have a modicum of intelligence and are reasonably sane ( they can’t possibly as bad as John surely)?? Then desert John for the Mears. John would certainly take to his bed. The perfect scenario would be for Esther’s wealthy brother in law to pay for her and the children to return to the USA. He could rent Property ( at a peppercorn rent/ family rates) to both Esther and Anna.  Their father would have to keep them until the youngest children go to real school. He is crap, sold both daughters off to complete Duds. He should help out even if that means him finding employment. 
Esther and Anna could then go to college to earn qualifications to run a day care together. Wealthy bro in law could loan the fees for their college. They can pay him back slowly once the day care was successful. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Gobsmacked said:

I’m waiting for the locals to realise that the Mears have a modicum of intelligence and are reasonably sane ( they can’t possibly as bad as John surely)?? Then desert John for the Mears. John would certainly take to his bed.

I get the same feeling.  Mr. Mears spent decades in the Marines and seems to know how to get along with people.  I don't think his "white savior complex" is nearly as high as John's.  The current congregation will probably find that Wade is more approachable.  I think John will decide that Wade isn't following some doctrinal policy or is just preaching "wrong" to the locals and will suggest that he needs to go away.  I don't see Wade putting up with John's foolishness for too long.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

John does not play well with others, so I’m really looking forward to the upcoming train wreck. That Mears has aligned himself with Big Shrader and rejoices in meeting other missionaries from their relatively small pool doesn’t make me think he’s ready to respect Zambians, their local culture, nor their spiritual practices. 
But he’s a completely grown man who’s chosen this path, so I reserve my sympathies for the Zambians. 
What I’m really looking forward to is the eventual popularity competition and John deciding that Mears isn’t saved. Is the other missionary John feuded with still around? Maybe Mears will join forces with him eventually. 
I can barely imagine how off-putting John must be in real life. He’s not shy about revealing what an asshole he is to the internet, so it’s gotta be more impressive in person. 
Anyway, I’ve got popcorn on standby for the eventual arrival of the Mearses. This is gonna be great!

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know that the container is now on its way to Zambia.  When it gets there or whether it gets there intact is anyone's guess.  

Wade makes a long Facebook post about it:

Spoiler

1886629234_Screenshot(13226).png.4df08ffaf93b57f8d5c384fa0fef9d52.png1355893873_Screenshot(13227).png.b63a67dd8652ba0e3082e6895f54bdcb.png726557144_Screenshot(13229).png.b9d684e42b0e634f2efa35838da13eac.png128958103_Screenshot(13230).png.0b739e660e407d38b029ef72c7c6b123.png

Wade is a bit anxious about seeing all his possessions drive away.  That's probably wise.  I'm not sure he'll be able to navigate life in Zambia if he's this attached to his motorcycle and whatever else is in that shipping container.  Do we know if they have a house or a place to stay when they arrive?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

I thought I remembered Wade posting about John finding them a house, so I went back and looked. It's way back in Chapter 4. They head out for Zambia in early June. Can't wait to see how this goes, and whether their container arrives in one piece. Do we remember, did John ship all his stuff over in a container?

Vicky and I were also wondering where we would live when we moved to Zambia permanently. Would we rent, buy, or build? Where is Kafue would we end up? Kafue is pretty spread out and we could end up anywhere. So we just kept praying and communicating with Bro John and Sis Esther leaving this in God's hands. Then I got a call from Bro John who told he he had been contacted by a man who was looking for a long term renter. We got to see pictures of the house and I told him to let the man know we wanted it. Just that fast, God, provided a place for us to live! The man will have the place ready for us when we arrive in June 2023! Do we have an amazing God! Amen we sure do! Not only has God cleared all the obstacles for us to come to Zambia, He has also provided us a place to live a year before we arrive permanently!

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

10 hours ago, NoneIsEnough said:

Not only has God cleared all the obstacles for us to come to Zambia, He has also provided us a place to live a year before we arrive permanently!

They're paying a year's rent in advance? I can totally see that if they're not they'll possibly turn up to find it's been rented.

This is so weird to me. Personally I'd be more inclined to try and rent furnished and keep stuff in storage for the first year at least.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Well done Mrs Mears and John 's Mom for  being away at a "lady's fellowship"  just at the right time to avoid the final packing and removal of the container 

Bro Mears describes his wife as "a calming mechanism", so I can just imagine how the whole episode went down

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

The last time David tried to form a partnership with anyone it imploded spectacularly and David Rea ended up taking ownership of the Team Zambia name and website, the printing equipment and the original sending churches. David seems to still be in Zambia ordering tons of Bibles to distribute and lecturing local police departments and school children about his version of God. I’m sure that bothers John that David seems to be better liked by the local communities. 

John doesn’t do well with people he can’t absolutely control, like his wife and children, so I see this lasting less than a year. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic