IGNORED

Jordan & McKay: Ex Mormons discussing what goes on in the Temple.

clueliss

Three of my good friends YouTube I’ve stumbled across the YouTube channel Jordan and McKay. Married couple and they left the Mormon church about a year or so ago. Their YouTube channel exposes truth behind what goes on in things like the Mormon temple. And thought I would share.

This one is part one of the temple rituals/the endowment 

Spoiler

And this one I watched yesterday.  It discusses Baptism of the Dead.

Spoiler

It may merge this with my post above, but adding the video on Mormon Influencers and how to tell that they aren’t wearing their garments 

Spoiler

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

2 hours ago, gustava said:

And done in rooms decorated like Marriott hotels.

Fun fact, which you probably already know: The founder of the Marriott Corporation, J. Willard Marriott, was a Mormon.

• Upvote 8

So was Glenn Larson the guy who created the original Battlestar Galactica. And when you know that you go back and watch the series you can see all of the little points that come from Mormonism.

• Upvote 5

Here’s part 2 of that same temple ceremony, with Jordan and McKay in costume at the beginning.  

Spoiler

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

I've watched a few of their videos, and it all is kind of nuts. Especially the fact that they don't know what's going on before they do these rituals (which are odd rituals). At least in most other religions (all the ones I'm familiar with anyways), they spend time before hand going over what the rituals will entail so you don't mess any of it up when you are doing it. You've also likely seen these rituals beforehand. I mean, a child going through a bar/bat/bay mitzvah has had lots of study before hand, has probably witnessed other bar/bat/bay mitzvahs, has been to temple, etc. all before doing it. A child going through confirmation has been through catechism, has watched others be comfirmed, etc. 

I can see why not knowing and then experiencing it would make the whole situation that much weirder and harder to take. 

I feel bad for this couple, because clearly they feel traumatized by what they experienced as being initiated in the temple. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

@anjulibai if you haven’t seen it already, look for the video where they tell the story about the birth of their son.  It’s truly horrific and involved post partum psychosis.  She has a PTSD diagnosis from that and they discuss the church teachings in situations like that and mental health.  

I’ll see if I can find the link.

Found it.  TW due to traumatic birth, depression, psychosis.

Spoiler

• Sad 3

Part 3 of the Mormon temple ceremonies, this one covers the endowment 

and hey, they discuss a change in this back in the 70s involving the removal of references to Satan being black.  Happened to be the same time period they started letting black people into the temple.

Spoiler

• Thank You 2

This is part 1 of McKay’s Mormon story on Mormon Stories Podcast/ YouTube channel 

Spoiler

It’s really long.  I think they said they talked for like 9 hours.  I believe it’s 2 parts fir his story and 2 parts for hers.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for this thread, @clueliss. The DC Mormon temple is getting renovated and they will be holding an Open House (allowing non-Mormons inside) until the re-dedication ceremony*. I'll watch these videos in preparation for the tour.

*The re-dedication was originally scheduled for April, but "given historic demand" for the Open House, they've pushed it back to August (I'm far from the only curious outsider). https://dctemple.org if you're local and interested. 

• Upvote 2

@shesinsane they built a temple close to my parents house about 20 years ago and my sister and I went on a tour before it was dedicated. There were lots of people coming to see it. We joked the baptismal pool looked like a hot tub. The decor was kind of over the top. It was an interesting experience and I'm happy I went especially since we watched it get built. They renovated it a few years ago and I thought about going on a tour again but I was busy and didn't get around to it. 

• Upvote 4

I just started watching these guys a couple of weeks ago and binged the whole 9 hours of their Mormon Stories episodes as well.  Super interesting.  I've been really into Sister Wives this season with Christine leaving and I wanted to know more about polygamy as a religious doctrine and went down an ExMo rabbit hole.  I just finished the Mormon Stories episode with ExMo Lex, also really interesting.  It's crazy that regular Mormons often don't know that Joseph Smith was a polygamist.  It's great that social media platforms like TikTok and YouTube are getting info out to younger Mormons and hopefully this (TikToks with info that is digestible to younger people) is going on also with the flavor of fundies we normally talk about here (IFB) and other high-control religions.  

• Upvote 6

I really liked their video on Temple garments + Mormon YouTubers. Before watching Jordan + McKay at all, I honestly didn't know "Mormon Underwear" was just for those who are age appropriate, temple recommend, etc. So I was really curious why all the Not Enough Nelson teen girls were allowed to wear belly shirts and shorter skirts (no judgment from me, btw). After understanding the rules, I can see how Kenn's fashion has changed since she's been married I think- higher necklines + overall type looks. I wonder if we'll see Jaine's fashion change at all when she comes back from her Mission.

I found it interesting that Jordan and McKay's take was that, similar to the Duggars, Mormon YouTubers may feel their YouTube is their ministry, and appearing "normal" is more important than temple garments to grow the Church. Jordan and McKay's take was that more observant/pious Mormons would still take issue with this. What surprised me is that I believe Benji (Dad, from NEN) is a church employee/official/something involved, so this should be a more pious family, I would think, but they do still allow their girls to wear two piece bathing suits where not all Mormons would allow that.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Benji could also be a temple volunteer.  Davey Orgill of April and Davey is.  He stopped for a while when their youngest was born and now returned.  And now I’m a bit icked out by what that means.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

Benji could also be a temple volunteer.  Davey Orgill of April and Davey is.  He stopped for a while when their youngest was born and now returned.  And now I’m a bit icked out by what that means.

I'm sorry, am I missing something? What does that mean?

• Upvote 1

They have also made videos commenting about Lori Alexander and possibly other fundies we snark on here. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

What I have found to be most interesting about the Temple rituals is just how appropriated from Freemasonry it is .  The Mormon Stories Podcast goes into extensive detail , in the video below .  

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2022 at 1:26 PM, shesinsane said:

Thank you for this thread, @clueliss. The DC Mormon temple is getting renovated and they will be holding an Open House (allowing non-Mormons inside) until the re-dedication ceremony*. I'll watch these videos in preparation for the tour.

*The re-dedication was originally scheduled for April, but "given historic demand" for the Open House, they've pushed it back to August (I'm far from the only curious outsider). https://dctemple.org if you're local and interested. 

If anyone is interested in seeing the inside of the Washington D,C. Temple , I have seen a video of a tour someone took of it , during an open house . I will link it below .   

Spoiler

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1