IGNORED

RIP Desmond Tutu

47of74

Archbishop Tutu died earlier today

Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the Nobel Peace Prize-winning Anglican cleric whose good humor, inspiring message and conscientious work for civil and human rights made him a revered leader during the struggle to end apartheid in his native South Africa, has died. He was 90.

In a statement confirming his death on Sunday, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa expressed his condolences to Tutu's family and friends, calling him "a patriot without equal."

 "A man of extraordinary intellect, integrity and invincibility against the forces of apartheid, he was also tender and vulnerable in his compassion for those who had suffered oppression, injustice and violence under apartheid, and oppressed and downtrodden people around the world," Ramaphosa said.

Tutu had been in ill health for years. In 2013, he underwent tests for a persistent infection, and he was admitted to hospital several times in following years.

If all religious leaders were like him we wouldn't have 1/1000 of the problems we have now.

• Upvote 3

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

That was interesting about Archbishop Tutu's final services.

Family members gathered to say their goodbyes to anti-apartheid hero Desmond Tutu at a private service at St. George's Cathedral on Sunday, where his ashes were interred in Cape Town and laid to rest.

At his request, the Nobel Peace Prize winner's body underwent aquamation -- considered to be a greener alternative to cremation -- South Africa's Anglican Church confirmed to CNN on Saturday.

Aquamation is a water-based process whose scientific name is "alkaline hydrolysis", in which a "combination of gentle water flow, temperature, and alkalinity are used to accelerate the breakdown of organic materials" when a body is laid to rest in soil, according to Bio-Response Solutions, a US company which specializes in the process.

The company's website says the process "uses 90% less energy than flame cremation and does not emit any harmful greenhouse gases."

Yeah I've heard of the process too.  It's legal in 19 states now.  I'd have no objection if it was used for me when my time came. 

• Upvote 1