IGNORED

Skirts Only

meee

I’m just curious, so many families have dropped the skirts only requirement for women—I thought the Maxwells would be the last holdouts and was shocked to see that they too had changed. Are any families on this site still exclusively skirts only? I’m not counting the Duggars or Bateses since at least some of their daughters have switched to pants.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 5

The Rodrigueses are adamantly skirts only. JRod occasionally screeches about the travesty that otherwise likeminded families no longer follow the “old paths.”

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Skirts Only

Bro Gary and Becky are adamantly skirts-only for all women and girls. They also believe that legs should be covered (men and women), and men shouldn't be shirtless.

Gary refers to such shocking outfits as shorts (or a short skirt) and a sleeveless top as being "nekkid," or "not enough clothes to cover a gnat."

Most (but not all) of the women and girls I see in the churches they visit are in skirts. But they are at church, so it's hard to tell whether those women would wear pants in other settings.

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 2

11 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Most (but not all) of the women and girls I see in the churches they visit are in skirts. But they are at church, so it's hard to tell whether those women would wear pants in other settings.

This is a big thing to remember. The church I grew up in was fundie-lite, and the church I moved to when starting Junior High was much more open and liberal (and has gotten more so over the years). Still, it took me literally YEARS, like nearly a decade, to feel comfortable wearing slacks to a Sunday service. That was Just Not Done when I was a kid in the 80's. I remember one time as a very young child wearing pants to a Sunday morning service - it had snowed a lot, to the point we had to walk the mile to church because the road was dangerous. Because of that, we were allowed to wear "nice" (read "not jeans" - I remember them being some sort of polyester plaid monstrosity - yay early 80's) pants to church that morning, but it was made very clear to us that this was not normal, it was only because of the snow, and that if we'd been able to drive to church we'd be wearing dresses as usual of course. 

We were never skirts only otherwise. Even at evening church services or Wednesday night services we could wear casual normal clothes. But Sunday morning was skirts or dresses, no question.

The Rods seem to be willing to die on the no-pants-for-women hill, but it'll be interesting to see how the younger Rods feel "led" about that as they leave and cleave. At this point I think the skirts-only thing is 99% attention-seeking and only 1% religious conviction. It clearly has nothing at all to do with modesty, especially considering JillRod's skintight skirts. One of the kids is going to figure that out at some point. Probably whichever one has a daughter first and realizes how NOT modest skirts and dresses are on an active toddler, and how keeping leggings on under them are both annoying and hot especially in the summer. 

• Upvote 28

The Collingsworth Family is still very skirts only. All three of their adult daughters are always in a skirt (pajamas not included) and they dress the granddaughter in skirts only as well.

The apostolic Pentecostals we’ve mentioned on here are still skirts only. The people like Chelsea Pomeroy and her group. 

Of course like others mentioned, the Rodrigues family and I don’t think I’ve ever seen her twin sisters (Angie and Amy) in pants either. 

I think Michelle and Kelly Jo will wear skirts until they are dead. 

Zoo and PP’s church all push skirts only. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 12

The fabulously frumpy FEW conference families will likely also be skirts only forever. The Frazers, Staddons, Neelys, etc.

Elizabeth Frazer Staddon will rock her swathes of heavy, opaque fabric to the end.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg.f8dd08f9b394898e4a468eb23f9972f1.jpg

• Upvote 17
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

The fabulously frumpy FEW conference families will likely also be skirts only forever. The Frazers, Staddons, Neelys, etc.

Elizabeth Frazer Staddon will rock her swathes of heavy, opaque fabric to the end.

Robert and Kendalyn aren’t skirts only. Kendalyn and her girls have been wearing pants for years now. But the others might be skirts only. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

5 hours ago, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

What strikes me most about this photo is that the man (groom I’m assuming) is allowed to dress in perfectly standard, nice clothing, while the poor bride looks like she’s dressed to play a part in a religious pageant. The little girls’s dress is the wrong size as well.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

5 hours ago, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

That's someone's wedding dress???? Who is that? 

Edited to add....I see that her last name is Staddon....I don't know anything about them....perhaps I should venture out of the RodrigueZ thread more often!

Edited by mollysmom
  • Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 2

I’ll defend Elizabeth Frazer Staddon. She tends to make her own clothing. I think she made her veil way way too thick material. So it looked very bad. But once she took that veil off, she looked a bit better. She basically made a white dress out of her usual dress pattern. She dresses very modest. 

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 1

14 minutes ago, mollysmom said:

That's someone's wedding dress???? Who is that? 

Edited to add....I see that her last name is Staddon....I don't know anything about them....perhaps I should venture out of the RodrigueZ thread more often!

The wedding of Elizabeth Frazer and Michael Staddon was an ecstasy of frump. The general consensus was that Elizabeth and Michael are sincerely nerdy, and that the wedding was a happy one which reflected their tastes. But man. Wait til you see the poop brown bridesmaid sacks. Discussion begins here:

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 9

I know Elizabeth and Michael married in their late 30s, but I thought they would have at least one baby by now. They might not have any. There have been quite a few later in age marriages in the last few years. I doubt Sarah Mally will have any kids. Amanda Smith and her much older husband probably won’t have any kids. Brandon Keilin’s older sister married late and probably won’t have kids. I see nothing wrong with it and I kind of wish a lot more fundies did this. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

If Sarah Maxwell marries, I hope it’s because of sincere, reciprocated respect and love. 

Had a few close, compatible women friends been part of my life in my 20s, I might not have married. I was mostly interested in nights out at theaters and movies, dinners at different new restaurants, and a little travel. Ah well, I got some great kids out of it, but it’s interesting to reflect. 

Back on topic: my wedding dress was a cute spaghetti-strap affair with a detachable, high-necked, long-sleeved overblouse thst buttoned up the back. I asked my mom to help me out of it for my reception snd she kindly refused. Something about, “you’ll have a lifetime to wear spaghetti straps.”  

Significant that it NEVER occurred to me to get my new husband to help. That pretty much foreshadowed our miserable co-existence! LOL — now

• Upvote 15
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1

Andersons and NIFB are still skirts only. I love Zsu's anecdote about how if you wear a skirt exclusively for 30 days, you'll feel like a man the next time you put on a pair of pants. 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 17

7 minutes ago, SisterMom said:

Andersons and NIFB are still skirts only. I love Zsu's anecdote about how if you wear a skirt exclusively for 30 days, you'll feel like a man the next time you put on a pair of pants. 

Oh, my. 

I remember the first time I saw my grandmother in pants. Well, that's different, I thought. She still wore dresses occasionally for a few years, though by the time she died at the age of 92 I think it had been over a decade since I saw her wear a dress. She was one of the first cohort to undergo knee replacement surgery, and I think that hiding the scars was one of the reasons she mostly stuck to pant. Plus it is a lot easier to get in and out of the car modestly when you are old and arthritic if you aren't wearing a skirt. 

• Upvote 10

4 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

Oh, my. 

I remember the first time I saw my grandmother in pants. Well, that's different, I thought. She still wore dresses occasionally for a few years, though by the time she died at the age of 92 I think it had been over a decade since I saw her wear a dress. She was one of the first cohort to undergo knee replacement surgery, and I think that hiding the scars was one of the reasons she mostly stuck to pant. Plus it is a lot easier to get in and out of the car modestly when you are old and arthritic if you aren't wearing a skirt. 

I never saw my great grandma wear pants. I honestly don’t know if she ever owned a pair. When she was born in 1913, that’s all everybody wore. Her daughter wears pants all the time. But I guess by the time pants became the norm for women, she just stuck with what she knew. She did have nice legs. So maybe she liked to show them off 😉

• Upvote 8

My grandma was born in NYC in 1894. Although I never saw her in pants, I did see a pic of her as a young woman wearing knickers and sitting on a motorcycle.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, SisterMom said:

Nope.  I wear skirts almost exclusively as a personal fashion choice, and last weekend I put on pants for the first time since before Memorial Day, and I definitely did not feel like a man.

Great Grandma, b. 1901, wore pants in the 1970s and 80s.

Grandma, b. 1923, wore pants exclusively by the 1970s.

Other Grandma, b. 1915, wore pants in the 1970s.

Mom, b. 1946, owns one dress for formal occasions and never wears it more than once per year.

me: wanted to be Laura Ingalls as a kid because she wore dresses every day.  By high school, I was wearing more skirts than pants.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 5

I'm trying to remember if one of my grandmothers wore pants or not. I'm sure she must have, but by time I knew her she was retired and already seemed old, and mostly wore house dresses whenever I saw her. My other grandmother was still working, and she wore pants more than dresses her whole life I think. My mom mostly wears pants. I think she has a couple dresses but rarely wears them. 

I like dresses and skirts, but only with slip shorts or leggings under them to prevent the chub rub. I mostly wear pants because I'm cold a lot and that way I don't have to worry about whether my legs are prickly or not. 

• Upvote 6

Both grandmothers born 1905. One of them died in the 1970s. She was rather old-fashioned, wore dresses exclusively as far as I can recall. At home, she wore house dresses and house coats, often with ankle socks and slippers. Inspired my intense distaste for house dresses. 

The other grandmother survived into her 90s and wore more and more polyester pants and velour sweats as time went by.

My mother hated skirts and ditched them as soon as it was socially proper to do so. She was big on practicality and cared very little for fashion. 

Me - I like skirts and wore them a lot when I was younger. I was much more into fashion than my mother. Since COVID I wear mostly workout clothes, but I still wear a lot of skorts and athletic skirts. I also love the current trend of jersey dresses over leggings. 

• Upvote 7