IGNORED

Brain storming about a couple of deaths and a religious question about Protestants

HerNameIsBuffy

Someone on Reddit was asking for info about an ancestor who happens to be my 8th g-grandfather so I shared my info with him, kind of excited to be able to help, but he's just a mess and has no idea how he's related to this ancestor, just sure that he is because "he's the originator of all the Boh annon families in the US."  Uhm, no, there were at least two others who came over in the same time frame who appear to be completely unrelated so I'm kind of annoyed I went to the trouble of renaming my tree (to remove my last name) and mark last two generations over me living so he couldn't see my parents/grandparents.  

(This is an open club so I split the name so this page won't turn up in a Google search.)

Anyway, the TLDR is in doing this I looked at my mom's lines which I haven't done in a while and revisited my great-grandmother.  She died when my grandmother was four, so all I know is she had her third child December 1910 and died May of 1911, and that baby died the next month, June 1911.  The county has death records for all my other relatives except her.  There was no epidemic noted in the local area in 1911 so I'm trying to brainstorm how she and her baby may have died?  It could have been unrelated, but him dying at six months old only a month after her makes me wonder if their deaths were related.  I never thought to ask my grams about it when she was alive.   I know post partum infections can take a few months before becoming fatal, but that wouldn't explain the death of the baby.  

So this lead me to looking again at my 2nd great grandmother's obit (her mother in law took the kids in and raised them since my grandma's dad was a shit person.)  The wording of the obit says she was a "consecrated Christian" who was "converted at a young age and joined the Presbyterian Church."  

• What is a consecrated Christian?
  • By convert do they mean baptism?  Because the family is various flavors of Protestant going back hundreds of years so it's not like she was coming in from an entirely different religion.
  • It said she joined the Presbyterian church, but there are also records of her being on some ladies committee at a "Congregationalist church" and my Grams said she was raised Methodist, and this is the woman who raised her.  I have no idea what a congregationalist is, but I didn't think Presbyterians and Methodists were interchangeable?  Am I wrong?  Google says they are very different, but protestants confuse me because there are so many variations within some denominations.  
  • She married a Baptist.  Does that mean anything?  Do Presbyterians and or Methodists consider Baptists to be of like mind enough to marry without needing to convert?

(Is my lapsed Catholicism showing in my ignorance?) 

My Grams wasn't a stupid woman, so I assume she knew what religion she was raised in, but she's also the one who said, when asked why she converted to Catholicism for Grandpa, "Simple, honey.  He cared and I didn't." so she was not a religious person, but she was raised with mandatory church attendance so you'd still think she'd know what religion she was.  And she wasn't a devout anything so I can't go by her beliefs, since the only thing she's ever said to me about religion I quoted above.  I assume she believed in God as the Godbotherers in the family think she's in heaven.

Pic of 2nd great grandmother in the spoiler.  I think those are grapes?  I'd like to think she's making wine, but in Missouri?  

Spoiler

15789774_115940714108.jpg

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 2

I don't think those are grapes.  They could muscadines.

• Thank You 1

Depends on the part of Missouri.  We do have wineries here.

As far as the religion, sometimes people don’t really pay attention to what someone’s denomination is when passing information down.  Maybe she changed churches?  If she moved from one town to another the new town may not have had the same denomination.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

I don't think those are grapes.  They could muscadines.

Google says you can make wine out of those, too!

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

As far as the religion, sometimes people don’t really pay attention to what someone’s denomination is when passing information down.  Maybe she changed churches?  If she moved from one town to another the new town may not have had the same denomination.  

I think I may have found the answer.   Her mother who died is buried in a family cemetery with a  Methodist-Episcopal chapel and her mom's brother was a minister of that sect.  The grandma who raised her was her Dad's mom and since my gramma didn't care probably just named the first religion that sprung to mind.

Read up on all the denominations and no wonder she was willing to "marry the devil himself" to get the hell out of town and not end up a farmer's wife.   None of those churches look like pleasant places for someone who gives very few f's about religion.

• Upvote 2

Methodist Episcopal eventually became United Methodist minus some splits along the way.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

• 6 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 6:39 PM, clueliss said:

Yeah that was one of the things my sister and my mom liked were all the wineries around St. Louis.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.