IGNORED

Divinity Consultants Are Designing Sacred Rituals for Corporations & the Spiritually Depleted

The Mother Dust

OH FUCK NO THEY ARE TRYIN IT

Here is an excerpt along with the link to the full article.  I dont dare post the whole article in case it's a hand-slap offense for being behind a paywall.  But I could have easily put in snark comments throughout the whole damn thing.  If you dont have a subscription, try using a different browser.  I am fuckin hot under the collar about this.  What follows is interspersed with my cursing and bolded rage caps.  

Spoiler

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/28/business/remote-work-spiritual-consultants.html
Divinity consultants are designing sacred rituals for corporations and their spiritually depleted employees.

<rant> The adrift may yet find purpose, for a new corporate clergy has arisen to formalize the remote work life. They go by different names: ritual consultants, sacred designers, soul-centered advertisers. They have degrees from divinity schools. Their business is borrowing from religious tradition to bring spiritual richness to corporate America. SOUNDS LIKE MORE FORCED KUMBAYA SOCIALIZING TO ME - I ALREADY TOLD YOU THAT I HATE THAT KAREN.  IF A COWORKER AND I WANT TO RUB OUR SPIRITS TOGETHER, WE'LL DO IT ON OUR OWN DAMN TIME, THANKS.

In simpler times, divinity schools sent their graduates out to lead congregations or conduct academic research. Now there is a more office-bound calling: the spiritual consultant. Those who have chosen this path have founded agencies — some for-profit, HA some not — with similar-sounding names: Sacred Design Lab, Ritual Design Lab, Ritualist. They blend the obscure language of the sacred with the also obscure language of management consulting to provide clients with a range of spiritually inflected services, from architecture to employee training to ritual design.  THANKS TO FJ, I AM SOMEWHAT FAMILIAR WITH CHRISTOSPEAK....WHAT ABOUT OTHER SECULAR PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT SPENT YEARS LEARNING RELIGOLINGO ON FUNDIE SNARK BOARDS?  

Their larger goal is to soften cruel capitalism, making space for the soul, and to encourage employees to ask if what they are doing is good in a higher sense. Having watched social justice get readily absorbed into corporate culture, they want to see if more American businesses are ready for faith. - SNAKE OIL SALE OPPORTUNITY

“We’ve seen brands enter the political space,” said Casper ter Kuile, a co-founder of Sacred Design Lab. Citing a Vice report, he added: “The next white space in advertising and brands is spirituality.” - SNAKE OIL SALE OPPORTUNITY

What they have in common is an agreement that traditional religious institutions are not working YES and that corporate culture is largely soulless. NO - WHO SAYS IT HAS TO HAVE A SOUL?? WHATS A SOUL TO YOU MIGHT BE DIFFERENT TO ME.... WHAT IF I AM NOT SPIRITUAL AT ALL???  LETS ALL USE THE GOLDEN RULE AND LEAVE IT THERE PLEASE

The Sacred Design Lab trio use the language of faith and church to talk about their efforts. They talk about organized religion as a technology for delivering meaning.  AGAIN, FUCK NO.  MY GODDAMN EXCEL SHEET DOES NOT NEED TO HAVE SPIRITUAL MEANING, YOU CAN FUCK RIGHT OFF WITH THAT.

Ms. Phillips doesn’t see corporations replacing organized religion — but, she said, she does see an opportunity for companies to bring people some of the meaning that they used to derive from churches, temples, mosques and the like.   AWW, ARE YOU REGRETTING GETTING YOUR TRASH-FIRE OF A DIVINITY GRIFTER DEGREE, SINCE THERE ARENT SO MANY CUSTOMERS TO HOODWINK NOWADAYS?   DONT YOU DARE COME SNIFFING AROUND MY SECULAR WORKPLACE, WHICH THESE DAYS IS NOW MY HOME--- YOU WONT FIND YOUR GULLIBLE PATSIES HERE.   </rant>

Also check out the photo.....I love how they turned the Virgin Mary into that office coworker who ALWAYS dresses better than you, and wears makeup EVERYDAY.

28Workritual-illo-superJumbo.thumb.jpg.7de0adb737c725767fc0211e9243a73b.jpg

Edited by Coconut Flan
Trying to shove Office Virgin Mary into the spoiler
  • Upvote 8

I read about this on The Guardian.    I can't even fathom having to deal with this BS in the workplace.   Work is not supposed to bring me meaning, it pays the damn bills and increases my bank account.  

Back in the days when I was at what I call "The Big Company" I saw too many so-called "consultants" get hired to do some hyped-up "initiative" that really was just a big rip off.   So glad I am not at that place, they would sign right up for this BS and pressure us all to participate.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3