IGNORED

Krislee - I think Created to be HIS may have found us...

Dev83

I think the whole point of those campaigns is to be clever and also to desexualize the issue. My doctor does breast exams during my annual and I feel more uncomfortable with that than with the Pap smear. It is not uncommon for women to feel uncomfortable with breast exams. My high school health classes in the early nineties covered everything from birth control to good nutrition and there was nothing about breast exams.

It is an important issue that needs desexualized. These are not sexual parts, even though our culture sexualizes them. So I rather like the campaigns. If a woman cannot breastfeed in public without public shaming, how uncomfortable does that make someone who needs to ask her doctor about them?

ETA: holy shit, did she really say prosecution? lol

It actually makes me feel more sexualized when referred to as tatas than as breasts. But I get that is a personal feeling and that is why I am not a fan of the campaigns (and never a fan of facebook status message slactivism) I wouldn't say it is immodest, just not my thing.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
I sympathize with her on some things, but she sounds like a total dramatic, self-pitying Bella Swan gone religious.

Ha! (I like this.)

I just ran over there and posted "Bless your heart!" on behalf of all of us.

You're welcome.

I'm not a huge fan of the stupid FB games, but only because they do zilch to raise awareness or money. If everyone had donated a dollar instead of/along with faking people out into believing they were pregnant and craving candy, I think quite a bit of money could've been raised with no one missing it. My best friend underwent a mastectomy in August and is enduring chemo now, and I just have no sense of humor left for people who are pretending they are making a difference when they are not sharing any vital information about breast cancer whatsoever.

/soapbox

Oh, I think the FB crap is stupid as hell, believe me.

Right there with ya. It just has nothing to do with ZOMG modesty!

I hosted a 13 yo boys baseball team in my home this summer. Everyone of them had a rubber wrist band on that said "Save the boobies!"

There is NO WAY this was about breast cancer, but they wanted their mothers to think it was.

<--totally bought an 'i heart boobies' tshirt for my then nursing toddler, I saw nothing 'immodest' about it and it sure as hell wasn't lust related either (eww) it was funny and the profits from selling the shirt were split between cancer research and a sorority on my college's campus

I'm not going to pretend to be immortal and say that I never noticed or that it didn't phase me.

I thought immortal meant living forever. :geek: So what word does she mean here?

I thought immortal meant living forever. :geek: So what word does she mean here?

Possibly immune like in "I'm not going to pretend to be immune to the criticism." Who knows. She comes off as not very well educated. And she is probably going to homeschool. Poor kids.

I'm not a big fan of those FB campaigns either, but they're harmless and kind of fun. Why not put a bit of humour into an otherwise very serious topic? And really, lust? Any man who gets turned on by knowing the color of a woman's bra, and is over the age of 16, has a problem. (Unless it's his girlfriend/wife and there's a little private flirting going on, which I can totally see :) )

I'm not a huge fan of the stupid FB games, but only because they do zilch to raise awareness or money. If everyone had donated a dollar instead of/along with faking people out into believing they were pregnant and craving candy, I think quite a bit of money could've been raised with no one missing it. My best friend underwent a mastectomy in August and is enduring chemo now, and I just have no sense of humor left for people who are pretending they are making a difference when they are not sharing any vital information about breast cancer whatsoever.

/soapbox

Thank you!! I hate those games. Especially the ones that start, "Not everyone will care enough to repost this...". Sadly, I have had several people in my family die of cancer. A fucking FB game doesn't do a damn thing except help people delude themselves into thinking they are making a difference.

I love Jesus. I want it to show. What His whole Word says, I want to repeat and I want to live it out. I would like company walking the narrow road, but it's okay if I don't have it. But before you label me as "one of them" and condemn me for giving my utmost and my best and my all, please remember that I'm human too. Just like you.

She wants her love of Christ to show? She wants to live like Jesus? GREAT! Go tend to the needs of the poor, the untouchables, the sinners... You know, the people she thinks she are too good to asociate with. Jesus had the reputation of eating with sinners...does she?

She speaks of all her sacrifices, she talks about following 'the rules' yet God demands mercy above sacrifice and following the law. Oh. Silly me. Expecting a fundy to actually READ the Bible.

Thank you!! I hate those games. Especially the ones that start, "Not everyone will care enough to repost this...". Sadly, I have had several people in my family die of cancer. A fucking FB game doesn't do a damn thing except help people delude themselves into thinking they are making a difference.

Yep, slacktivism at its finest.

She said something about modesty. Surely she isn't implying that self breast exams=immodesty...surely...right?

Betcha it is "Oh noez! How dare we mention the existance of boobs!! If we mention them, the boys will think about them and they will be FOREVER RUINED and impure!!"

She thinls Jesus is the cure for breast cancer? Great! let's let her take that 'treatment' should she ever get it (or any other ilness since, surely, only evil heathens get sick and Jesus is the only cure)

<--totally bought an 'i heart boobies' tshirt for my then nursing toddler, I saw nothing 'immodest' about it and it sure as hell wasn't lust related either

Reminded me of this:

The I heart boobies tees and accessories are quite the rage in my daughter's fourth grade class. I think they feel all rebellious wearing them.

A few years ago, I bought my friend's newborn a pirate onesie that said "Surrender the Booby!"

Above all, pray? No, how about above all vote for politicians who won't fucking CUT funding for research, so that labs like my husband's won't have to fucking fire the people DOING the fucking research. How about THAT?

Not that this pisses me off or anything... :evil:

The I heart boobies tees and accessories are quite the rage in my daughter's fourth grade class. I think they feel all rebellious wearing them.

A few years ago, I bought my friend's newborn a pirate onesie that said "Surrender the Booby!"

I...I need to get this for my pregnant friend. Where can I find such a thing?

ETA: NM, yay for Google! :mrgreen:

Right there with ya. It just has nothing to do with ZOMG modesty!

Actually I think it kind of does, depending on whether you're using a fundie definition of modesty. Those status games are just attention-seeking idiocy that have nothing to do with raising awareness, but they're fun!!!1! and everyone's doing it!!1 I don't care if people mention breasts, but I care if it's done in a way that's just sensationalist and stupid, and placing that idiotic fun over the actual issue of you know, people suffering and dying*. And if by 'immodest' you can mean 'attention whoring', then it's the immodesty of those things that annoy me the most.

(But yeah, I know she's coming from a DON'T MENTION BRESTSSSSS! pov, not mine)

* see also: 'Men, let's save the boobies so we can get to second base LAWL'. Um, let's save men and women from a very common form of cancer that causes months of completely revolting treatments, psychologically traumatic amputations, and death? If I had that diagnosis I wouldn't be going 'Oh no, now men won't find me sexy', and I think it's belittling to focus on that. Getting off my grumpbox now.

Actually I think it kind of does, depending on whether you're using a fundie definition of modesty. Those status games are just attention-seeking idiocy that have nothing to do with raising awareness, but they're fun!!!1! and everyone's doing it!!1 I don't care if people mention breasts, but I care if it's done in a way that's just sensationalist and stupid, and placing that idiotic fun over the actual issue of you know, people suffering and dying*. And if by 'immodest' you can mean 'attention whoring', then it's the immodesty of those things that annoy me the most.

(But yeah, I know she's coming from a DON'T MENTION BRESTSSSSS! pov, not mine)

* see also: 'Men, let's save the boobies so we can get to second base LAWL'. Um, let's save men and women from a very common form of cancer that causes months of completely revolting treatments, psychologically traumatic amputations, and death? If I had that diagnosis I wouldn't be going 'Oh no, now men won't find me sexy', and I think it's belittling to focus on that. Getting off my grumpbox now.

Completely agree. I actually think the reason breast cancer get sso much attention is because breast are sexual, ie the "save 2nd base" shirts. I mean you don't see people out there wearing shirts for pancreatic cancer, it is not nearly as sexy (although much more deadly). But yeah, I just meant she was horrified at the thought of the mere mention of boobies and how defrauding that must be for men.

If it's full of prosecution, does it have attachments like depositions, stipulations, and testimony too?

SOTDRT strikes again. Auto correct isn't that stupid.

I read that part over and over trying to figure out if she meant "persecution." The next sentence says something about "Let me take the stand" which I couldn't decipher if she meant "take THE stand" (prosecution) or "take A stand" (persecution). Confounding.

Mr. Bionic was diagnosed with testicular cancer 2 days before our wedding. He proudly wears a shirt made by a friend of ours which says "CANCER SUCKS BALLS." Said friend had Hodgkins several years before and HE proudly wears a shirt that says "FUCK CANCER." They both look adorable in them.

Archived