IGNORED

Tad Cummins Sentenced

Howl

If you'll recall, Tad Cummins, a Tennessee schoolteacher,  disappeared with his 15-year-old student and was found in a remote community in northern California.   He's going to be spending 20 years in federal (not state) prison. 

Tad Cummins, 52, received the jail term on Wednesday, nine months after pleading guilty to obstructing justice and transporting a minor across state lines for sex.

He destroyed his long-term marriage, his relationship with his two children and, not least, the life of his vulnerable 15-year-old victim.  Although she was present at the sentencing,  someone read  her victim statement for her. 

“All you were was a man who wanted sex, and you manipulated me and used me just for that. I don’t know if you have ever taken or could ever truly take responsibility for those actions. First, you said I was to blame. Then, you said the devil made you do it. But if that’s true, then you are the devil.”

I'm glad he got a lengthy sentence and that Elizabeth seems to be getting good psychological care, in that she is attributing blame to the correct person. I think I remember reports right after she was found that stated that she wanted to be with him etc. Of course we all know that she was groomed and manipulated and it gives me hope that she could publicly attribute this crime to him and him only. 

It always makes me wonder how men like this, especially one that works with kids every day, don't have a reported history of at least stepping stones to the crime he committed (taking his victim all the way to California). It terrifies me. 

• 1 month later...

I'm very glad, that, with Cummins' sentencing, this has dropped out of the news. It will give her time to heal, as well as Tad Cummins' now ex-wife and kids.  

Archived