IGNORED

Nashville Statement

CarrotCake

In our small country here in Europe (the Netherlands) the Nashville Statement is big news at the moment. Apparently some religious organisations have joined forces to translate it and let Dutch people sign. One of the leaders of a small political party has signed and this is being seen as really inappropriate.

I was wondering if this statement actually has been a big deal in the US as well? Or is the media here making it into a bigger deal as it is? Although it is never a good thing when politicians sign things like this, it is not like it is a big surprise that this party (conservative Christian) have this viewpoint.

In our small country here in Europe (the Netherlands) the Nashville Statement is big news at the moment. Apparently some religious organisations have joined forces to translate it and let Dutch people sign. One of the leaders of a small political party has signed and this is being seen as really inappropriate.
I was wondering if this statement actually has been a big deal in the US as well? Or is the media here making it into a bigger deal as it is? Although it is never a good thing when politicians sign things like this, it is not like it is a big surprise that this party (conservative Christian) have this viewpoint.

I think I’ve seen a couple news pieces in it but I had to google it to refresh my memory.

Meanwhile let me introduce all these anti-gay Reich wingers to my Dubuque Statement. It’s two words long. Very special words. One is Fuck and the other is You.

@CarrotCake This thread is the first I had heard of it (if that's any comfort).

When I looked it up to see exactly what it is - well - consider the source. (Honestly - that group is mostly irrelevant here, IMO).

As I recall, many/most of the citizens of Nashville were appalled that the city name was attached to that hateful statement.  I think it came out of a (so-called) Christian conference held there, but was pretty much denounced in the local press.  I'm sure few are pleased that it's circulating again with the Nashville name still attached to it.

I hope the name is changed at some point.  I like @47of74's statement.

Well, it is definitely not a good marketing for the city here. I actually suspect that most Dutch people now have a negative association with the city unless they had a very positive one before. Especially since the previous news that made it from Tennessee to this part of the world was about Cyntoia Brown. 

Among signatories there's the late and not lamented RC Sproul sr and James Dobson of Focus on the Family bad fame.

Archived