IGNORED

Holiday cooking plans

Terrie

We missed Hanukkah, but there are still other holidays ahead. Yule, Kwanzaa, Christmas and New Year's, among others. What are people planning to cook?

My mom and I will be doing lunch on Christmas eve. Soup and and antipasto-inspired spread of bread, cheese, meats, veggies and fruit. So I'll be making the soup, a lemon chickenn orzo, this week and freezing it, to be transported by car for 8.5 hours to my brother's house. I plan to pick up some meats at a local East European-style deli and some cheese. Doing an herbed white bean dip. 

My mom will go down earlier, get veggies and fruits based on what looks good there, maybe some smoked salmon (a favorite of my dad's), get the bread and crackers, maybe an artichoke dip, some pickles and olives. Like me, she's cooking soup this week to freeze and bring down. 

No idea what's being done for Christmas eve or Christmas day. We're a mix of vegetarians and meat eaters, so pasta is a common choice. I'm fine with vegetarian food, provided it's good food. My big New Years plans involve going to bed early, but maybe I'll make something nice and a little fancy just for myself, like a filet mignon or a corish hen.

On 12/17/2018 at 3:14 PM, Terrie said:

So I'll be making the soup, a lemon chickenn orzo

@Terrie, would you mind sharing your recipe? :text-thankyouyellow:

Our big family gathering  this year was a brunch, so I made a frittata with bacon, cheddar cheese and chives,  some of @HerNameIsBuffy's cranberry orange muffins, and some cherry-pecan muffins with a sweetened vanilla butter.

Our new Christmas dinner tradition is chicken fried steak instead of repeating my Thanksgiving menu. It will be just the two of us, so I'll probably cook dinner in my pajamas. :pb_lol:

We are having a very quiet Christmas this year, just visiting my mother-in-law.  I am cooking a few things that she can refrigerate and heat up later, including sweet-and-sour meatballs and a corn casserole. 

We ended up with three bottles of Kahlua, so I am going to try making a chocolate-Kahlua cheesecake.  If anyone has tried and true recipe ideas for Kahlua, feel free to post!  We usually only use Kahlua a couple tablespoons at a time in our hot cocoa. 

Archived