IGNORED

Familiar Fundy Faces at the Free Online Homeschool Summit 22-27 October

CyborgKin

https://homeschoolsummits.com/parenting/

Including Geoff and Victoria Botkin of "Western Conservatory" (wow, they're sticking their heads out of their burrow), Kevin Swanson, Norm Wakefield, Emeal Zwayne (aka EZ, son-in-law of Banana Man Ray Comfort), Nancy Campbell of Above Rubies, and several others.

The Botkins' topic is "Raising Kids to Stand on Your Shoulders" (meanwhile the actual PM of New Zealand is back at work from maternity leave)

https://homeschoolsummits.com/parenting/
Including Geoff and Victoria Botkin of "Western Conservatory" (wow, they're sticking their heads out of their burrow), Kevin Swanson, Norm Wakefield, Emeal Zwayne (aka EZ, son-in-law of Banana Man Ray Comfort), Nancy Campbell of Above Rubies, and several others.
The Botkins' topic is "Raising Kids to Stand on Your Shoulders" (meanwhile the actual PM of New Zealand is back at work from maternity leave)
This website looks like it was designed in 2011.
That's not a compliment. Holy typefaces Batman

I feel like these classes to "help" parents homeschool better are going to be one long sales pitch for an expensive product. It feels similar to how a Mary Kay rep doesn't identify herself as such, but invites you over for a "spa party". I fell for that once in my early 20's. Never again.

I know Joshua Harris (of I Kissed Dating Goodbye) parents we're considered pioneers in the homeschool movement. Does anyone if they had any connection to Vision Forum or to the Botkinettes? 

Oh that would be a lot of awful.  Kevin Swanson has as much personality as a piece of cardboard blown into the yard and sitting in the runny dog poop.  

But the piece of cardboard was blown in at hurricane force :P

6 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Paul Tripp looks like the mutant lovechild of Gabe Kaplan and Orville Redenbacher. 

Is he related to Tedd Tripp, author of Shepherding a Child's Heart? Tedd  & wife Margy are also speaking at this shit-fest.

Looks like P.T. Barnum was absolutely right: there's a sucker born every minute:

Parenting ShitFest.png

Diagnosing the reason why so many Christian young people are leaving the faith

Maybe because they realize they were taught a bunch of lies and hate growing up?

This class is taught by Bill Jack, the guy who cried persecution when he attempted to order a cake with hate speech against the gay community on it and was refused. The bakery said they don't write hate speech on cakes. A quick Google shows he is a lot like Steve Maxwell and thinks fun is a sin, because joy should only come from serving God. 

Gregg and Sono Harris were the homeschool "pioneers" in the 80's - long before DPIART or the duck biologist figured out they could make money fleecing the homeschool community. But they definitely benefited from the foundation they laid.  

Far as I can tell, Paul is Tedd Tripp's son. 

@CyborgKin, there's a nice, short article in this week's New Yorker about PM Ardern.  The article is Dept of Multi-tasking: Grizzles.  You should be able to access it online.  

And the whole precious, adorable shindig is being hosted by Daniel and Megan Craig, rising stars in the next generation of Phillips/Botkin/Swanson/Harris/Maxwell wannabes.

To quote my new favorite TV character, Janet in "The Good Place," FUN FACT!: Megan Craig is Heidi Botkin's sister, and Daniel Craig was a regular singer/performer at DPIART's various and sundry Vision Forum events. The apple never falls far from the tree...

2 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Daniel and Megan Craig, rising stars in the next generation of Phillips/Botkin/Swanson/Harris/Maxwell wannabes.

Daniel is certainly following the tried and true formula for fleecing the sheeple:

757107144_LifelaunchCrap.thumb.png.f506ed5c7dde58b3e658e21ed6c95e4d.png

My brothers and I got put through Kickstart :(

It's basically a collection of talks by Kevin Swanson and Friends thrown together, with notes with words missing to fill it, and discussion questions that always start out with "What is the single most important lesson you learned?  How can you apply it to your life?  What is the necessary first step?"

There's lots of self-evaluation questions and exercises (and lots of 'ask your parents to evaluate you' type stuff).  And Bible study questions like:

"What are God's primary goals throughout all of history?  Base your answer on the common theme in Matthew 6:9-14, 1 Corinthians 15:22-28, Revelation 11:15-18)"

"From a big picture perspective, how is God accomplishing His goals in history?  Base your answer on Psalm 8:4-6 / Hebrews 2:5-9, Psalm 72:1-14, Matthew 28:18-20, 2 Corinthians 10:3-5, Ephesians 1:15-23, Philippians 2:5-11, Colossians 1:12-23"

"How do God's primary institutions carry out this methodology?

- Individual: Genesis 1:26-28, Deuteronomy 6:1-6, Matthew 28:18-20

-Family: Deut 6:6-9, Psalm 78:1-8, Eph 4:11-13, Matt 28:18-20

-Church: Matthew 16:15-19, Mat 28:18-20, Eph 4:11-12, 2 Tim 2:1-2, Titus 2 (Hi Maxwells?)

-Civil Magistrate: Romans 13:1-5, 1 Peter 2:13-14, Matthew 28:18-20"

"By understanding God's plan for history as well as His means for accomplishing that plan, we have a framework for understanding how we fit into His plan - a framework for answering the question "What does God want out of my life?"  Read Matthew 6:31-34. Based on verse 33, what should be the highest priority in my life?"

"Write a brief Vision Statement that answers the question "What does God want out of my life?"  Start your vision statement with "By God's grace, my vision is to..." As you compose your Vision Statement, keep in mind Erik Weir's 5 point for evaluating and defining true success from Session 6: Defining and Achieving Success."

"Mission - How am I going to get there?

Having defined God's big picture vision for your life it's time to define your mission - how you're going to accomplish your vision.  As Christians, we do not have to wonder what God's vision is for our lives, nor do we have to wonder how He wants us to accomplish His vision for our lives.

As Kevin Swanson pointed out in Session 4, God has specified five ways in which young men are to seek His Kingdom.  These duties are to be carried out, not just in the home, but also in all four of the institutions discussed in 1.3 (as an individual, in your family, in the church, and in your community).

With these 4 spheres of influence in mind, provide a written answer to each of the following questions based on the related Scriptures

2.3 How am I to take dominion? Genesis 1:26-28, 2 Corinthians 10:3-5

2.4 How am I to be a Provider? 1 Timothy 5:8

2.5 How am I to be a Spiritual Leader?  1 Timothy 2:8

2.6 How am I to be a Protector?  Nehemiah 4:14

2.7 How am I to be a Shepherd? 1 Cor 14:35-35, Ephesians 6:4, Deuteronomy 6:6-9, TItus 1:7-9

2.8 Write a brief Mission Statement that answers "How does God want me to accomplish His vision for my life?""

You're welcome.  I suffered so you could have this info :P

I have more.

Basically the message of Kickstart is "mentoring is super valuable and important and it's not done enough or correctly today which is why there's so many societal problems like Men Not Being Grown Up But Playing Videogames Instead and More Women Than Men Going to College"  and it's very deliberately Not Written For Girls.

I read through the topics for the seminar. My question is what does any of that have to do with home schooling? None of it is about schooling itsself. Seems like a waste of time to me. 

On 10/17/2018 at 7:06 AM, danvillebelle said:

Far as I can tell, Paul is Tedd Tripp's son. 

Paul and Tedd are brothers, joined at the moustache. Tedd is a fount of terrible parenting advice based on the idea that babies are sinners who will be doomed without lots of spanking. (There's a recentish post about him at Spiritual Soundingboard.) Paul was a spiritual adviser to macho pastor Mark Driscoll, and I will admit he did have the wit to resign from that pointless job.

and this is weird: https://www.mancrushes.com/hot-men/paul-tripp/is-he-related-tedd

@CyborgKin, you are a saint for suffering thru that. May Rufus bless you. My head was spinning and my hands shaking at all that "Biblical application", the main thing I hated about very Evangelical Bible study I ever attended. 

Paul and Tedd are brothers, joined at the moustache. Tedd is a fount of terrible parenting advice based on the idea that babies are sinners who will be doomed without lots of spanking. (There's a recentish post about him at Spiritual Soundingboard.) Paul was a spiritual adviser to macho pastor Mark Driscoll, and I will admit he did have the wit to resign from that pointless job.

and this is weird: https://www.mancrushes.com/hot-men/paul-tripp/is-he-related-tedd

I think I saw my fundie lite friend reading one of Paul Tripp's devotional books recently. The church she attends, the one where we met, is Acts 2 style like Mark Driscoll's was.

Edited for riffles

On 10/18/2018 at 8:14 AM, Lgirlrocks said:

I read through the topics for the seminar. My question is what does any of that have to do with home schooling? None of it is about schooling itsself. Seems like a waste of time to me. 

Ah but homeschooling is not a mere relocation of public education performed at the dining room table.  No, it is a whole-life attitude of systematic kingdom growth and discipleship!

6 hours ago, Howl said:

Beyond weird.  Way beyond.  Did you find it on a google search?

Yes. I was checking to make sure they are brothers, and that popped up. Not a site I wanted to explore in depth.

Archived