IGNORED

Victory for One Million Moms (not really)

ThisOlGirl

I don't know what it is about One Million Morons Moms that just gets under my skin. Maybe it's the fact that I don't like other people deciding for me what I can watch on TV, listen to on the radio, how to raise my kids, etc. Like a lot of people, I don't like being told what to do! I like to troll their FB page to see what products/TV shows/advertisiers they're currently harrassing so I can make a point of supporting the entities that OMM are against. It looks like OMM is taking a lot of credit for "The Playboy CLub" getting cancelled. It totally has nothing to do with the shows' horrible ratings. No really--it was all because of OMM! :roll: And as if they didn't piss me off enough already, now they're begging for money:

Your emails helped make a HUGE difference! But to continue, OMM needs prayer and financial support. Please consider making a donation to help our efforts. For your gift of $25.00 we will send you the “Letters to God†DVD as our gift to you with free shipping. Click on link to watch the trailer & you will have the option to make a donation.

Seriously, how expensive can it be to maintain a website of an organization that is owned by a much larger organization? I know they won't be seeing my 25 bucks--that will buy me several pints of Shweddy Balls ice cream!

I figured The Playboy Club would get canned. It basically looked like a broadcast network's version of Mad Men and Eddie Cibrian isn't that great of an actor. OMM is stupid to try and take credit for this show getting canned. The show had horrible ratings and the reviews weren't too favorable and also some people who watched it said it was awful. I OMM, AFA and their members lack quite a bit of knowledge about the TV/movie industry. They don't realize how ratings and demographics work.

OMM's next campaign will probably be aganist Good Christian Belles which is going to premiere mid season in 2012.

I found it very funny that they wanted the Playboy show cancelled. Yes, it was an adult show, but also at an adult time: 10pm. Kids are supposed to be sleeping. They cannot make ALL television rated G !

I found it very funny that they wanted the Playboy show cancelled. Yes, it was an adult show, but also at an adult time: 10pm. Kids are supposed to be sleeping. They cannot make ALL television rated G !

That's my issue with OMM, PTC, and other busy-bodies: what parent lets their young kids watch tv at 10 pm??? When I was a kid, I usually had to be in bed well before then on school nights, and when I didn't have school, I wasn't allowed to watch TV that late anyway.

Why? Because my parents knew that TV on at that time was grossly inappropriate for a kid. Not to mention they encouraged us to do things other than watching TV (like read!!!) and didn't use the boob tube as a babysitter.

I think the OMM ladies need to parent their own damn kids and not expect the world to bend over backwards for them.

Well, for some reason I cannot find schweddy balls ice cream anywhere! I have tried 3 different stores already! I am sure the OMM would take credit for that. :twisted:

That's my issue with OMM, PTC, and other busy-bodies: what parent lets their young kids watch tv at 10 pm??? When I was a kid, I usually had to be in bed well before then on school nights, and when I didn't have school, I wasn't allowed to watch TV that late anyway.

Why? Because my parents knew that TV on at that time was grossly inappropriate for a kid. Not to mention they encouraged us to do things other than watching TV (like read!!!) and didn't use the boob tube as a babysitter.

I think the OMM ladies need to parent their own damn kids and not expect the world to bend over backwards for them.

I have communicated before with PTC members and these two people were both irritating and lacked common sense on certain things. They failed to see that most of the TV shows they target are often at later times, but one of the PTC members argued about cities in mountain time zones airing certain shows from 7-10. OMM and PTC members are flat out annoying because they think the media has a 24/7 obligation to have everything be family friendly for them. They also can't get the message about just changing the channel.

These groups confuse the hell outta me. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they can't just not watch something. But this is coming from someone who lives in a country that airs The Sopranos at 6pm on basic cable with nothing more than a warning before the show and after every commercial. And when it got complaints, most people complained about the negative stereotyping of Italian-Americans...

Regarding their request for donations: Howard Stern used to tell the people sending money to the groups trying to get him off the air to instead send the money to him directly. If it was enough, he would leave voluntarily :)

I seriously doubt that the Playboy show was aimed at members of OMM, so they can't really take credit for getting it cancelled.

How do they pick what to boycott? I ask because we have some pretty non-family-friendly stuff on at earlier hours that they conveniently ignore. Why not protest running Family Guy at 7 PM every single night? That is my big annoyance right now because I am usually cleaning up from dinner and my kids gravitate toward the living room... the TV gets turned on... someone yells, "Mom, why is that dog wearing all those leather clothes?" and I say, "OMG, what are you watching? Turn that off right now!" It's called parenting, folks.

I saw the first episode, and I didn't think it was any more inappropriate than other shows in that time slot. I wonder if they actually saw it or just thought the title was scary.

God, I hate people like this. It's not as if The Playboy Club was airing at 4 in the afternoon. It was on at 10pm. Furthermore, if someone wants to let their children watch the show, that is their business, not OMM's. I'm tired of having to give up stuff that I enjoy watching/reading/listening to because there are people that don't want to be bothered with parenting. If your kid is watching something you don't want them to watch, that is your fault. Not the entertainment industry. It's not hard to guess what a show titled "The Playboy Club" will be about. It's not like the tv studio tried to trick them into getting their kids to watch it. If you don't want them to watch it, turn the channel. Or, better yet, turn the tv off. Or even better, don't have a tv at all.

Well, for some reason I cannot find schweddy balls ice cream anywhere! I have tried 3 different stores already! I am sure the OMM would take credit for that. :twisted:

I couldn't, either--it was a "limited-edition" flavor that didn't go into wide distribution (like Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream). My all-time favorite is their Wavy Gravy, and that's hard to find, too. I just hope they re-release Festivus for the Rest of Us this December!

Back on topic: Out of curiosity, I half-watched Playboy Club while I was cleaning. As a decorated member of the Anachronism Police, I got annoyed when someone made a reference to men "hitting on" a married bunny. ERROR ERROR...

The show did indeed look like a bad network TV version of Mad Men smooshed with Boardwalk Empire.

And, should the show somehow survive, we KNOW we'll never see anything similar to Gloria Steinem's famous stint as a feminist "undercover" bunny.

I got my Shweddy Balls at Wal-Mart last week. I wasn't going to even bother looking there, since Wal-Mart likes to be all "family friendly" by selling censored music (or not carrying certain titles at all)--surely they wouldn't sell such a scandalous sounding ice cream!

I couldn't, either--it was a "limited-edition" flavor that didn't go into wide distribution (like Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream). My all-time favorite is their Wavy Gravy, and that's hard to find, too. I just hope they re-release Festivus for the Rest of Us this December!

Back on topic: Out of curiosity, I half-watched Playboy Club while I was cleaning. As a decorated member of the Anachronism Police, I got annoyed when someone made a reference to men "hitting on" a married bunny. ERROR ERROR...

The show did indeed look like a bad network TV version of Mad Men smooshed with Boardwalk Empire.

And, should the show somehow survive, we KNOW we'll never see anything similar to Gloria Steinem's famous stint as a feminist "undercover" bunny.

Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream is still being sold.

I've never paid these ladies much attention but I'm looking at their FB page and cracking up. Please join them in contacting drug stores and demanding they remove sex toys from their websites! Bwah hahaha. Why on Earth do they care so much about this shit? The odds of my kid visiting the Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid sites are nil. I'm guessing their target audience, other than photo items I suppose, is on the older side. My husband is a Walgreens manager and I didn't even realize they have dildos on their website (I knew they had lubes and some other stuff). Thanks for bringing it to my attention, OMM! Wonder if we can utilize his employee discount? :banana-dance:

I seriously doubt that the Playboy show was aimed at members of OMM, so they can't really take credit for getting it cancelled.

How do they pick what to boycott? I ask because we have some pretty non-family-friendly stuff on at earlier hours that they conveniently ignore. Why not protest running Family Guy at 7 PM every single night? That is my big annoyance right now because I am usually cleaning up from dinner and my kids gravitate toward the living room... the TV gets turned on... someone yells, "Mom, why is that dog wearing all those leather clothes?" and I say, "OMG, what are you watching? Turn that off right now!" It's called parenting, folks.

Law & Order:SVU is on every day at 5 pm on broadcast TV. My biggest problem with that is that middle and high schoolers are often home by themselves at that time and some of those episodes make me (in my early 30's) flip out a bit. Although the acting was horrible, The Playboy Club was much less disturbing than any episode of SVU or almost all episodes of Family Guy. Frankly, many shows these days are more sexual or violent than I want to watch. I have a magical rectangular wand to help me with that...it's called a remote with an off button.

Law & Order:SVU is on every day at 5 pm on broadcast TV. My biggest problem with that is that middle and high schoolers are often home by themselves at that time and some of those episodes make me (in my early 30's) flip out a bit. Although the acting was horrible, The Playboy Club was much less disturbing than any episode of SVU or almost all episodes of Family Guy. Frankly, many shows these days are more sexual or violent than I want to watch. I have a magical rectangular wand to help me with that...it's called a remote with an off button.

I tend to watch reruns of Grey's Anatomy on Lifetime before LittleSquirrel gets off the bus in the afternoon, and then forget that some gross show called Medical Detectives comes on after (and it shows some gruesome stuff!). Can't tell you how many times I've hurdled furniture to get to the remote to change it from some disturbing scene. Like you, I don't flood Lifetime with complaints; I change the damn channel. Takes me all of 3 seconds to do. It's certainly not my prerogative to try to keep other people from those shows.

Right, I don't understand why parents can't tell their children, "This is inappropriate so turn it off." I'm not calling a boycott on Family Guy (partly because that would mean getting rid of our boxed DVD sets of it...). There is no reason that an adult can't turn the damn TV off. Most televisions and cable boxes also have parent controls, so you can block shows that are not family-friendly if you are the type to leave kids home a lot.

If your kids won't obey you while you are out of the home about television choices, you have bigger problems because watching a little SVU is not the worst trouble a middle schooler can get into.

Am I the only parent who lets my high schoolers watch what they want? I think most are old enough to make those choices. My son (now 16 yo, how the time flies) was telling me that he rented one of the Saw movies and had to trade it for another because it was just too much.

Right, I don't understand why parents can't tell their children, "This is inappropriate so turn it off." I'm not calling a boycott on Family Guy (partly because that would mean getting rid of our boxed DVD sets of it...). There is no reason that an adult can't turn the damn TV off. Most televisions and cable boxes also have parent controls, so you can block shows that are not family-friendly if you are the type to leave kids home a lot.

If your kids won't obey you while you are out of the home about television choices, you have bigger problems because watching a little SVU is not the worst trouble a middle schooler can get into.

Am I the only parent who lets my high schoolers watch what they want? I think most are old enough to make those choices. My son (now 16 yo, how the time flies) was telling me that he rented one of the Saw movies and had to trade it for another because it was just too much.

Nope, you're not the only one. Once we hit high school my sister and I could watch pretty much anything. I don't watch R-rated movies most of the time, because they're either super-violent or just gross and over-the-top with sexual stuff. But TV and movies drive me up the wall; the higher the rating the higher up the wall I get--not because I can't handle sex or violence, but because of the various other tropes used.

I watched the first Saw movie in seventh grade. I spent most of it in the other room because it was too much to handle. I can't even handle the close-ups on CSI of all the stab wounds and whatnot. I'm getting nauseous just thinking of it.

Edited because I was definitely not in 2nd grade when I saw it.

Nope, you're not the only one. Once we hit high school my sister and I could watch pretty much anything. I don't watch R-rated movies most of the time, because they're either super-violent or just gross and over-the-top with sexual stuff. But TV and movies drive me up the wall; the higher the rating the higher up the wall I get--not because I can't handle sex or violence, but because of the various other tropes used.

I watched the first Saw movie in seventh grade. I spent most of it in the other room because it was too much to handle. I can't even handle the close-ups on CSI of all the stab wounds and whatnot. I'm getting nauseous just thinking of it.

Edited because I was definitely not in 2nd grade when I saw it.

Same here, and before that, unless there was copious amounts of swearing or sex, I was allowed to watch what I wanted as long as it didn't scare me. Though The Simpsons was not permitted until I was 8.

With movies, my parents were probably more lenient. I remember watching the Shining when I was about 6 or 7, with my parents, not to mention copious amounts of Monty Python and Cheech and Chong for as long as I can remember.

My kids have all seen The Holy Grail. Nothing wrong with that one, it's a family film.

You know there is more to Monty Python than The Holy Grail right?

We could watch whatever we wanted at that point, too. I was really good about policing myself anyway and don't remember too many shows/movies I was prohibited from watching as a kid. I remember my parents having an issue with The Simpsons when it first came out (I think I was in the 3rd or 4th grade), but nothing else.

My grandma had a satellite back in the late 80's/early 90's when they were not at all common in homes (I still remember that bad boy taking up most of her side yard. It was gigantic!) and she didn't pay any attention to what my brother, cousins and I watched. So we watched a lot of rated 'R' movies. lol We all handled it just fine, but some kids wouldn't. I plan to take it as it comes with my kiddo. She's a bit of a freak and doesn't scare all that easily, and was watching movies at 3 that many kids couldn't handle at 8 (we don't do movies with sexual content or much vulgar language, of course).

My 10 year-old niece, 8 year-old nephew, and 3 year-old niece are all allowed to watch Family Guy and have been for years. It chaps my ass like none other. I'm extremely open-minded about kids and tv/movies, but nobody could convince it's a show that any child should watch.

Archived