IGNORED

Woman pushes friend off 60 foot bridge

PumaLover

I hope it's OK that I'm putting this here. I have been fascinated by this story: https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/55c28d46-fc32-30e4-9004-cced111354d9/ss_woman-who-pushed-teen-off.html

An 18 year old pushed her 16 year old friend off a 60 foot bridge on August 7th and has been charged with reckless endangerment. The friend was pushed from behind so she landed on the water's surface in a belly flop and was seriously injured. She broke several ribs and had punctured lungs. Apparently this bridge is a popular spot for people to jump off and the 16 year old initially was also planning to, but got scared and so her friend shoved her off. 

When the story first broke they weren't sure if the 18 year old would be charged. I think it's appropriate that she is as this poor girl has months of recovery and probably a lot of doctor's bills ahead of her. I guess it hits home for me because I had an abusive ex friend who probably would have done something like this to me.

How could she not have been charged? I've seen the news reports, she shoved her hard. How stupid can anybody be? I wonder if the pusher has apologized or expressed remorse.

The teen girl could've died.  Of course she should be charged.  Shoving someone alone is a crime, let alone off a 60 foot bridge.  The public need to be deterred from committing "pranks" like this.

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

How could she not have been charged? I've seen the news reports, she shoved her hard. How stupid can anybody be? I wonder if the pusher has apologized or expressed remorse.

It looks like she has been charged with reckless endangerment. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/washington-teen-who-pushed-friend-off-bridge-charged-with-reckless-endangerment-1301438531888?v=railb

The video clearly shows a hard shove by the older teen. A push that hard would have been enough to cause someone to face plant no matter where they were standing.

The 18-year-old is lucky they didn't charge her with attempted manslaughter because there's no way that shove could be construed as an accident.

On 8/17/2018 at 11:59 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Yes, my comment was rhetorical, in that the act was so egregious that no way she would not have been charged with something.

I saw an interview the older teen gave to a morning TV show.  She tried to avoid rolling her eyes, but wasn't quite sucessful.  Anyway, her excuse was that the 16 year old had asked her to give her a push if she backed out of jumping, and what was a friend to do?  

The older girl said she wasn't trying to hurt her friend, and I believe her, but I also believe she didn't give much thought to what could go wrong, and I don't know if I believe that the younger girl asked the older girl to push her if she tried to back out.

For all the kids on the bridge that day, there's a reason jumping from that bridge is illegal.  There are submerged rocks in the area and if someone were to hit one then the consequences would be even worse than broken ribs and punctured lungs.

Archived