IGNORED

Woman receives CSection with no anesthesia

Mela99

Having had a csection, I am beyond horrified. If there was time to strap her down, there was time for some dose of drugs - put her in a twilight state. Hospitals are supposed to have protocols for this exact scenario. Ours did - I even asked. Twilight sedation AQAP - any nurse can give it. She's lucky the shock didn't kill her.  And the number of people saying she needs to be grateful...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lawsuit-pregnant-woman-c-section-no-anesthesia_us_5b649a94e4b0fd5c73d955b5

I told my mom (she had a C-Section with me) and she literally screamed I guess cause memories came back. I was also confused that there wasn't any type of NP like an NP anesthesiologist to take charge. 

I had a c section, and when the anaesthetic wore off, I was in a lot of pain, and that was in recovery. I just can't imagine. Holy moly. I'd still be having nightmares.

Wow. I can not imagine. My sister had difficulty with her emergency C-section, I don't know specifics but she was still feeling pain and not totally numb I guess so they put her under general anesthesia. Obviously in her case they had an anesthesiologist present. For my sister everything was very quick, something like under 30 mins from wheeling her back to my brother in law letting us know they were life flighting my nephew to another hospital a soon as he was stable,

Hospitals that deliver babies are supposed to have 24 hour anesthesia coverage.  it seems like an anesthesiologist not answering his many pages fails that.  

When they administer nerve block anesthesia (epidurals and spinals), they'll always test you out to make sure the anesthesia has taken effect.  If it doesn't take or it's a true emergency, they'll administer general anesthesia which is basically instantaneous.

ETA:  I'm not a lawsuit type person, but I hope this couple takes this excuse for a hospital to the cleaners.  I'd also look at whether the anesthesiologist might have a drug problem as an excuse for not answering the repeated pages.  I'd sue his sorry ass separately.

I have a friend (an actual friend named Jessica, not a fake friend like DGayle… :P ) whose epidural was faulty in some way. She said half her body had feeling and not the other, or something like that, but she couldn't get anyone to believe her because she was a first time mom. They started believing when she screamed during her C-section or at least thought she was having a panic attack--either way she said the last thing she remembered was a mask swooping down over her face as they knocked her out cold. 

That hospital deserves to be sued and more than few people fired.

i had a c-section and this literally made my scar ache. i'd had an epidural during my induction but they even upped it when they determined a c-section was necessary, just to make sure it would completely cover everything (i could feel the top part of my uterus as it was contracting while i had my epidural, but it wasn't painful).

I read about this yesterday and I was mortified. I have heard kidney stones are almost as bad as birth - and I have had them multiple times.

Some of my friends have children and they have told me if I ever do, to say yes to the epidural or drugs available.

I was born Emergency C-Section. My cord was wrapped around my neck three times and each time my mother had a contraction I lost air. I know she was drugged because she told them "NO MORE DEMEROL! I'M A NURSE! NO, NO, NO!" She has told me this story many times.

How was there nobody providing pain medication? Any surgeon or OB/GYN can give an order for an IV like Dilaudid or morphine; an anesthesiologist is not necessary. Ideally one would be preferred I presume, but it isn't mandatory for one to be present for administration.

It's just beyond me -- he *knew* the epidural had worn off, otherwise he wouldn't have strapped her down.  And in all that time waiting for anesthesia, they could have done twilight, general, something, ANYTHING.

My C-section recovery was awful, I can't even fathom the pain during as bad as it was after.

I'm a new mother, and yes, I would die for my son, but this attitude of "at any cost" save the baby. . . And I agree with what others have stated - legally, I don't see that she consented to this. 

I hope they all get sued into oblivion. 

My sister in law had a c-section - the doctor was worried about her blood pressure to the point that they decided to induce.  When that didn't work they did a c-section.  From what I heard her c-section went much better. 

I had a c-section and I remember getting the epidural and being terrified something would go wrong and I would be paralyzed. The guy who did it was all I've done this for 20 years and he was great. The funny thing is they had a nurse who I swear was maybe 120 pounds, and you all I'm not a small woman and had a good sixty pounds on her. The anesthesiologist was all arch your back like a cat and lean into the nurse. I was thinking are you shitting me with this right now and nurse plant your feet and don't drop me. The guy did it flawlessly and I remember my butt getting warm and the rest of me going numb. My husband was all seriously you didn't feel anything I was all not really. He was all damn because they were yanking away.

In my family local anesthetics tend to not work as well on us and one relative had a major procedure performed  (many years ago) where they felt EVERYTHING (after telling the dr locals don’t work on her). I wish they had sued. That poor woman. I’ve never had a c section but I did have abdominal surgery and the pain after the surgery was so bad I can’t even imagine...

This does make me think of the woman in this article who performed HER OWN C SECTION: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/seriouslyscience/2016/07/07/5514/#.W2y-uaQpDYU 

Archived