IGNORED

Couple who had Jesus as their lawyer lose custody

47of74

From north of the border

If Jesus was their lawyer, he didn’t do very well.

Two fundamentalist Christian parents in Canada recently lost an appeal over custody of their baby after arguing in court that their “lawyer Jesus Christ” was speaking through them and that God was advising them by taking the form of a stuffed lion.

The couple didn’t lose the case because of their faith, but that’s what they would have you believe. They lost rights to their child in this appeal, as well as in the original case, because of a history of domestic violence and concerns regarding care of the child. After arguing that they were discriminated against because of their religion, the appeals court said there was no evidence of anything like it.

Seems that people who have Jesus as a lawyer have a fool for a client...

That was terribly sad to read. It doesn’t sound like either of the parents are mentally stable, and the child would be at great risk if left to that violent father. I hope they don’t have any more children, and that both of them are able to get therapy, though I doubt they would accept it. 

I feel like the Friendly Atheist article is kind of misleading, since the conclusion for me is that the parents seem to be mentally ill and delusional. He didn’t really mention it and I have to criticize that, because it could have been an excellent opportunity to show that there might be a connection of sorts between extremist views and some mental health issues.

Their environment seems to be very concerned for the child and I sincerely hope, that the option the judge hopes for is going to happen and some loving, sane family member can adopt her.

They sound like Warren Jeffs, his threats to the judge because he claimed that God was speaking through him.

Maybe Jesus said their kids deserve a better environment. 

Archived