IGNORED

Austin bomber was a conservative Christian homeschooler

Howl

There have been three instances in my city (Austin, TX) of packages placed on porches overnight, each containing a bomb.  The bomb detonates when the package is picked up or opened.  The first instance was on March 2, and a man in his late 30s was killed.  The explosion was witnessed by the man's 8-year-old daughter, who was uninjured.  

There were two more bombs today.  A 17-year-old boy was killed as he opened a package after he got it off his porch and took it into the kitchen.  While police were holding a press conference about that bombing, another package bomb detonated when a 75-year-old Hispanic woman picked it up off of her porch.  She has life-threatening injuries. 

These incidents are not close together but are all east of IH-35, an area with mostly (until gentrification and urban sprawl) Hispanics and African-American residents. The first two victims were African-American and the third, as noted above, is Hispanic.  The police are considering this to be a possible hate crime. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Howl,  I was just coming to this forum to see if there was a thread.  I hope the cops catch the perp and catch him soon!  Please be safe!

This is the 17-year-old victim of one of the bombings: 

Screenshot 2018-03-14 at 8.09.33 AM.png

Police have zero leads, other than to say that the bombs are sophisticated and carefully made.  I have to imagine that FBI/Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) are involved at this point.  I can't imagine his mother's anguish.  She was also injured in the blast. 

I hope whoever did this is caught before they can take another life.  It would be fitting if one of their own bombs blew up on them.

Austin police are saying that family members of the two victims knew each other through a Methodist church. 

My sister lives in Georgetown. She said that even in her area they were being warned not to open packages or even pick anything up that was left on the porch, unless they knew the sender and were expecting it.

Yes, it's so crazy.  The bombs were made from ordinary materials that can be easily purchased, so there's no trademark material that is easily traced. 

It's rodeo week in Austin as well as SxSW, and no new bombs; it seems to be slipping off the news. 

The 17-year-old who died was an amazing kid; incredible musician, active in the community and was set to attend the very competitive Butler School of Music at the University of Texas at Austin this fall, just across town from where he lived.  Such a sad loss. 

Crap, a 4th explosion that injured two young men in their 20s happened Sunday night, and is thought to be connected to the previous three.  It sounds as though the injuries were serious, but the two will recover. This happened in a part of the city far away from the previous three explosions, but this time it sounds as though a trip wire was used. 

There is a $115, 000 reward now and no leads.  

This 4th explosion happened in a large upscale neighborhood called Travis Country and police asked residents to stay at home (shelter in place/lockdown) until 10 am this Monday morning.

There also was a call in the newspaper yesterday asking the bomber(s) to come forward and let police/public know what they are trying to achieve with the bombings, what their grievances are. 

19 minutes ago, Howl said:

...but this time it sounds as though a trip wire was used. 

That makes it even more scary. Please be safe. :my_heart:

Are there any local news websites you would recommend? Google is mostly just showing national media sites. As we saw with the Malheur Wildlife Refuge takeover, local and regional media often give more in-depth reporting.

Any of the local Austin TV stations are following this story: 

kvue.com/

KEYE: cbsaustin.com/

FOX (local news is fine): fox7austin.com/

kxan.com/

Lots of concern right now because this tripwire was a block from a trailhead accessing a greenbelt with an extensive trail system , and the tripwire might have been triggered by walkers or mountain bikers.   Hope we can find out circumstances soon. 

Stay safe Austin posters!

Anyone else think the name of the street of the most recent bombing is relevant? Republic of Texas Blvd. Maybe a militia movement or succession movement? Honestly my gut says Alt-right, but that's just speculation. 

1 hour ago, mrs said:

Stay safe Austin posters!

Anyone else think the name of the street of the most recent bombing is relevant? Republic of Texas Blvd. Maybe a militia movement or succession movement? Honestly my gut says Alt-right, but that's just speculation. 

Report from someone in the Travis Country neighborhood says that the bomb was at the intersection of Eagle Feather and Dawn Song streets, a block off of Republic of Texas Blvd., a primary access street into the neighborhood.  

Police are requesting footage from surveillance cameras anywhere in the neighborhood.  One surveillance camera did capture the sound of the bomb detonating. 

Because the location is only a block away from a major trailhead, some are speculating that the bomber could have come from the greenbelt. 

This happened around 8:30 at night.  With daylight savings time, there would have been less than an hour of darkness to set the device, unless it was there overnight without being triggered.  The weather yesterday evening was lovely, and I suspect there were a lot of neighbors out walking around, so not so likely someone could have set it up yesterday evening. 

My sister said that had to stay inside until 10:00 and she's about 30 miles away from the latest bombing.  She also said that the news is reporting that there may be a connection between all the victims, not just two of them that happened to go to the same church.

54 minutes ago, SnazzyNazzy said:

I just read on CNN, that a package exploded at a FedEx facility, outside of San Antonio.

Yes, and fortunately there was only a very minor injury that didn't require hospitalization.  Although the location of the FedEx bomb is about 60 miles south of Austin, it's a straight shot down I 35.   No group or person has claimed responsibility and there have been no ransom demands.  There are several hundred FBI agents working on the bombing in Austin.  Apparently, this type of scenario is so rare that the FBI has not been able to develop a profile that would identify a likely perp.  

7 minutes ago, Howl said:

Yes, and fortunately there was only a very minor injury that didn't require hospitalization.  Although the location of the FedEx bomb is about 60 miles south of Austin, it's a straight shot down I 35.   No group or person has claimed responsibility and there have been no ransom demands.  There are several hundred FBI agents working on the bombing in Austin.  Apparently, this type of scenario is so rare that the FBI has not been able to develop a profile that would identify a likely perp.  

I'm just having flashbacks to the Unabomber. It just seems to be a home-grown crazy, disgruntled person doing this. Today's political climate, is bringing the crazy out of a lot of people.

10 hours ago, SnazzyNazzy said:

I just read on CNN, that a package exploded at a FedEx facility, outside of San Antonio.

It's a small town called Schertz and it's just a little outside of SA. I have heard a few different reports today and some of them contradict each other. What I have gathered out of the reports is that the package may have had the same from and to address, like someone would do it they sent something to themselves or possibly a business would do if someone had ordered something and was returning it, but it seems to have been intended to the Austin area. There have been reports that there was another package which may have made it to another distribution center in the Austin area and there may be security video of a person dropping off one or both of those packages.

Another bomb has detonated at a Goodwill store in south Austin; this time it is an incendiary device.  There is now speculation that the bomber(s) have been planning this and stockpiling explosive devices for quite some time. 

The bomb that detonated at the FedEx facility was mailed from Sunset Valley, a one-square-mile community in south Austin that has now been completely surrounded by urban sprawl.  ETA: A second device was found at a FedEx facility. 

Back to yesterday, According to someone who lives in the Travis Country neighborhood, the tripwire bomb in Travis Country would probably have been detonated by elementary age school children walking to a nearby school bus stop had it not been triggered the evening prior. 

I have a very, very bad feeling that this is not even close to over, but as active as the bomber is, likely he'll be caught on some surveillance camera and ultimately captured that way. 

He's dead!  It appears he detonated one of his own bombs to prevent being arrested.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/us/austin-suspect-what-we-know/index.html

(CNN) — The man police believe was behind a series of bombings that terrified Austin, Texas, for 19 days is dead, police said.

Authorities have called the suspect a "serial bomber" who was skilled and capable of making sophisticated devices. 

Here's what we know about the man accused of the deadly explosions:

He was 24 years old

Police have not released the suspect's name and only described him as a 24-year-old white man.

It's unclear whether he lived in the Austin area.

His motive is still unknown

Police said the suspect is responsible for the bombings in Austin, but they are still investigating why he carried them out.

How did police find him?

In the past 24 to 36 hours, authorities received information that led them to a person of interest, who later became a suspect.

Austin Mayor Steve Adler confirmed that police obtained surveillance images showing the suspect at a FedEx store in Austin.

They later identified his car and spotted it Wednesday night at a hotel in Round Rock, Texas, a few miles north of Austin. 

As officers waited for tactical units to arrive on the scene, the man began to drive away and later stopped on the side of the road. 

It was then that SWAT officers approached the vehicle and the man detonated a bomb inside his car, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said.

The suspect died inside the vehicle. 

Did he act alone?

It's unclear if he had any accomplices. It appears that he was alone when he drove away from the hotel in Round Rock and when he detonated a device in his car.

Just came to post this.  As someone on another forum that I frequent  (mostly guys) noted

Spoiler

It seems that almost every news story of terrorism should begin with "a guy who couldn't get laid did some heinous s**t today".

Not that I think that literally, but yes, metaphorically.  I'd amend that to read "a guy who couldn't  _________ did some heinous s**t today".   

Also turns out that the incendiary device that went off at a Goodwill store in south Austin yesterday was likely not related to the other bombings.  Still a LOT of concern that there could be one or more un-exploded devices out there.  

The suspect has been named Marc Anthony Conditt, 24 yo, white. Apparently he was homeschooled and probably from a religious family. This USAToday article quoted his mother, Danene Conditt, Facebook at the time of his graduation.

Spoiler

"I officially graduated Mark from High School on Friday," the post reads. "1 down, 3 to go. He has 30 hrs of college credit too, but he's thinking of taking some time to figure out what he wants to do....maybe a mission trip. Thanks to everyone for your support over the years."

3 hours ago, Flossie said:

He's dead!  It appears he detonated one of his own bombs to prevent being arrested.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/us/austin-suspect-what-we-know/index.html

(CNN) — The man police believe was behind a series of bombings that terrified Austin, Texas, for 19 days is dead, police said.

Authorities have called the suspect a "serial bomber" who was skilled and capable of making sophisticated devices. 

Here's what we know about the man accused of the deadly explosions:

He was 24 years old

Police have not released the suspect's name and only described him as a 24-year-old white man.

It's unclear whether he lived in the Austin area.

His motive is still unknown

Police said the suspect is responsible for the bombings in Austin, but they are still investigating why he carried them out.

How did police find him?

In the past 24 to 36 hours, authorities received information that led them to a person of interest, who later became a suspect.

Austin Mayor Steve Adler confirmed that police obtained surveillance images showing the suspect at a FedEx store in Austin.

They later identified his car and spotted it Wednesday night at a hotel in Round Rock, Texas, a few miles north of Austin. 

As officers waited for tactical units to arrive on the scene, the man began to drive away and later stopped on the side of the road. 

It was then that SWAT officers approached the vehicle and the man detonated a bomb inside his car, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said.

The suspect died inside the vehicle. 

Did he act alone?

It's unclear if he had any accomplices. It appears that he was alone when he drove away from the hotel in Round Rock and when he detonated a device in his car.

Now let's see what the Republicans from Fuck Face on down have to say about the bomber.  Especially since he wasn't a minority, a non-Christian, or a non white and was instead a straight white conservative male.

Archived