IGNORED

American History X

fraurosena

I'm starting this thread because of all the controversy about American history the last couple of weeks and the presidunce's thinly veiled endorsement for fascists, racists and bigots. His tweets about condeming the removal of Confederate statues, claiming it would be doing history a disservice, has only poured oil onto the flames. We've been talking about it in the other threads, but i think this subject deserves a thread of its own. Anyone who has seen the movie, knows the reasoning behind the name of the thread.

Today, I found this jaw-dropping article:

Ex-Trump Spokeswoman Tells Fox News That Slavery Is ‘Good’ History

Katrina Pierson, a former spokeswoman for Donald Trump’s presidential campaign, told Fox News on Monday that slavery is good history, prompting disbelief from fellow guest Wendy Osefo.

Now a spokeswoman for America First Policies, Pierson made her jaw-dropping comments amid a debate over whether House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) should join House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in pushing for the removal of Confederate statues from Congress.

Pierson first argued that the monuments reflect history held dear by Americans that’s both good and bad, thus helping them learn, according to a video provided by Media Matters.

But Osefo, a Johns Hopkins University professor, countered that the statues, erected after the South lost the bloody Civil War, honored the treasonous.

“While it is a piece of American history, it’s not necessarily the good part of American history,” Osefo said. “It’s actually nefarious. So it doesn’t deserve a place on state grounds. It deserves a place in museums. And that’s where they need to be.”

Pierson responded: “It absolutely deserves a place, because bad history is still good history for this country ―

“Slavery is good history?” Osefo asked incredulously.

Pierson offered a reaffirming “absolutely,” touching off a verbal war between the two guests that host Ainsley Earhardt fought to contain.

The debate over the removal of Confederate statues and other monuments has mushroomed since the recent violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, where white supremacists claimed they were rallying to prevent the removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

To think that this piece of work voted for Obama in 2008 just boggles the mind.

Bill O'Reilly said something similar as well! Because you can't paint slave masters with the same broad brush :pb_rollseyes:

I'm going to see if I can find it again but one of my sorority sister's posted a picture of the tomb of unknown solider shouldn't be removed  (because many confederate statutes have been removed, but that has NOTHING to do with the tomb of the unknown because that didn't show up till WWI....

While I think technology has helped our lives greatly, it has also hurt us greatly by allowing and making people become so ignorant to actual history.

@Ali Since the election I've been trying to check out the book but it's been on hold for the longest time! I guess people are realizing how real it is.

8 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

@Ali Since the election I've been trying to check out the book but it's been on hold for the longest time! I guess people are realizing how real it is.

My husband was able to get it electronically as a kindle book for no charge. I am not sure if it requires Amazon Prime or not.

Archived