IGNORED

SDAs and child abuse?

Dreadcrumbs

I've tried looking for stuff about Seventh-Day Adventists and child abuse, and I've had a hard time finding anything much other than the SDA official stance on child abuse.

Anyone know of some stuff? (sorry if this is kinda vague?? I'm foggy today)

I would have a hard time putting Adventists under the category of "abusive cult." I know many, and they are very nice people. Yes, they have their own schools and colleges, but others are welcome to attend. One of my children did, in fact, attend an Adventist middle school. I got no weird vibes from anyone there. They don't keep to themselves and they don't force weird beliefs on anyone.

I'm sure there are abusive Adventists just like there are abusive Presbyterians and Methodists but I don't think the church, as a whole, is dangerous.

Jehovah's Witnesses, on the other hand.....

@livinginthelight, I'm glad your experience with SDA was positive.  I'm sure there are many nice Gothardites and Scientologists too.  Of course if you dig a little you can find abuse in many denominations, including mainstream churches. 

The important thing to look at is whether the church tries to cover up the abuse or deals with it appropriately.  Miracle Meadows sounds like a nightmare.  The school is now closed.

Here is a fairly thoughtful article asking whether or not SDA is a cult.  http://leavingsda.com/seventh-day-adventist-cult/  Yes, that website is all about leaving SDA so it has some bias.

Apparently there is a difference between traditionalist and progressive SDA churches, but what it says about the control of information and difficulties people face in leaving SDA is interesting.

I'm late to the conversation, but I have worked with many SDA members over the years. I would say as a whole they are probably like evangelicals in general. Good eggs and bad eggs, high control groups and low control groups. I had a series of conversations with one SDA coworker after I caught her singing the "Have Patience" song  (Herbert the Snail, from Music Machine) and her childhood sounded pretty identical to mine before we joined a cult when I was in junior high. Also, our SDA Chaplin was amazing. I still miss her. She treated everyone with compassion and equality and her attitude went a long way in helping me deprogram from our cult.

Hi! Late, too.

Grew up SDA and did the whole boarding school thing, etc.  I'm curious about exactly what the question is.  Certainly, as mentioned, there are pockets of very traditional, conservative branches of the church that take your typical "hate the sin, love the sinner" and try to brush abuse under the rug but I probably wouldn't say there is systemic sexual abuse denial.  That being said, one of our teachers at boarding school ended up offing himself because his years of molestation finally was uncovered....

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Trending Content

• Recent Status Updates

• PennySycamore

PennySycamore

My niece is going to be a seat filler at this year's Academy Awards.  Seat fillers are asked to wear tuxedos regardless of sex/gender.  If you see a pretty young woman with very curly hair, it could be my niece. 
      · 0 replies
    • 47of74

47of74

Yeah, that's me.  Though to be fair I am trying to learn Italian and Spanish.

· 0 replies
    • Kiki03910

Kiki03910

IT'S BASEBALL SEASON!!!!!
      ⚾❣️
      · 4 replies
    • mango_fandango

mango_fandango

It’s not supposed to be mosquito season right now but I still appear to have been bitten twice on the side of my foot. Bastards. I know I shouldn’t scratch but it’s so tempting… 😑
      · 0 replies
    • Therapy Outside the Box

Therapy Outside the Box

Hello,

I'm brand new to this forum. It was suggested to me by former and outspoken Remnant Fellowship member (Natasha Pavlovich) that I join this forum and put out here what I do. She also warned me that no one on here trusts, or trusts easily, and that I'd likely be assumed to be a Remnant plant or spy until vetted and verified as not that. Fair enough. 
      In short, and in truth, I'm a psychotherapist with 25 yrs experience in Franklin TN (less than three miles from RF incidentally) with a special interest in working with people formerly associated with cults, cult-like or any and all high control intitutions. I'm especially interested in working with those desiring not only deconstruct, recover and learn to thrive post-indoctrination, but those desiring to recapture or cultivate an authentic sense of theology without walls, or spirituality with borders. 
      To date, I've worked with former Amish, Mennonite, LDS/FLDS, FOG, and a those representing a whole slew of evangelical, fire and brimstone fear/shame/guilt-inducing institutions.
      I am especially interested in working with former Remnant Fellowship and Scientology members. I view RF as basically Scientology without the budget. 
      I'll leave it there. Much more can be gleaned about me through my website: therapyoutsidethebox.com or IG: @ therapyoutsidethebox

Peace,

Chris Hancock, LCSW
      Franklin, TN

· 3 replies
    • Kiki03910

Kiki03910

I have a friend with untreated autism and ADHD. I've tried so fucking hard to help. He refuses. It's a mess. I'm really really tired.
      · 0 replies
    • Kiki03910

Kiki03910

Making Jill Duggar's brownie recipe because why not stay up late.
      · 2 replies
    • 47of74

47of74

Party on aisle 15....

Also no interest if fully paid in so many months.
      · 0 replies
    • WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

Happy Supper Bowel Sunday!!  No, wait. That isn't right...
      Anyway, enjoy the game (or the half time show, or the ads)!
      And a very happy Sunday to everyone who doesn't care about the NFL! 
      · 0 replies
    • Kiki03910

Kiki03910

I'm a huge baseball fan. This year, MLB TV showed Liga Dominicana games in December and January and it was a fucking revelation. The players had so much fire and joy. The announcers with their charming DR accents were a blast, though I could hardly keep up with the Spanish. DItto the Serie del Caribe. As a White Sox fan, the MLB season is going to suffer by comparison. Te amo los Tigres del Licey!
      · 2 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.