IGNORED

How Fathers Can Protect Their Daughters in a Defiling Age, by Scott Brown

Columbia

I recently came across a collection of recordings from Vision Forum's 2008 Father-Daughter retreat, and listened to them with some delighted horror. Given the recent news that has come from the Brown household, I thought it might be a propos to post a what Scott says regarding the protection of daughters.

Scott starts with an illustration from the crucifixion (John 19:26,) when Jesus commits his mother to John’s care. This is a principle of the kingdom of God, and godly men see to it that their women are provided for in unbroken protection all the days of their lives. This is the illustration Scott wants to introduce the doctrine of the protection of daughters.

Christianity exalts womanhood, and places its value high above the comforts of all man. It commands the husband to give his life to her and suffer death if necessary. A daughter is protected by her father, a sister by her brother, a young girl in the meeting of the church so that if she’s widowed they will protect and provide for her. Most importantly, these foreshadow how all women are placed in Christ (Scott quotes the “neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female” verse) for their blessing no matter what might happen to them. This is the great love of God for women.

Scott contrasts this with other religions. Hindus despise females because they’re a liability because of their dowry. Often they’ll kill baby girls. Muslims don’t educate their women, force them to marry without their consent, make them servants, don’t allow them to own property, and despise them. They are required to be subjected to polygamy. The atheist makes the woman an object of licentiousness, and a throw away, does not care if she is divorced, and only cares for her outward appearance. He doesn’t’ work to protect her heart or body, and only provides for her in a hovel in a welfare state where she might be abused and abandoned. Would you give your daughter to Rousseau, Nietzsche, or Hitchens?

Scott turns now to Genesis 19, the story of Lot and his daughters. The protection of daughters reached a low point in Lot’s household in Sodom. Scott has five points he would like to make regarding Lot and his daughters.

Lot’s failure to protect his daughters is on display in this story, and this helps us understand how a father can abdicate his responsibility. Lot’s offering his daughters to the men of Sodom is an outrage and we are so repulsed by it that we miss the point. The core of the problem was sinful incursion in Lot’s life that expressed itself in lack of protection for his daughters. Don’t be so quick to distance yourself from Lot, because you are not exempt from the pressures and social issues that were pressing on Lot.

Scott says that Genesis 19 requires careful interpretation. If we breeze over the text, we might think the focus of the text is the evils of homosexuality, and dismiss it because we’re not homosexuals. If we do this, we might miss the clear lessons here. In the same way, we like to think of other people, instead of ourselves, when we read about the Pharisees.

Scott talks about the broader Scriptural record of Lot, and goes to 2 Peter 4. This text, he says, is the interpretive key. Lot was not reveling in the excesses of Sodom, he was outraged by the evil conduct of his fellow citizens, and deeply conflicted by what he observed around him. People who are repulsed by Lot may be surprised by how Peter refers to him, and that he calls Lot righteous. Scott suggests that we’re not so different than Lot. We’re outraged by the trends around us, we cast judgement on the sins running amok in our culture and there’s no way we can completely disengage from the evils of this culture.

Knowing that Lot offered his daughters to the evil men of Sodom is shocking, but this is still what the word of God teaches. Lot stood in judgement of the wicked men of Sodom, and they thought he was judgmental, and holier-than-thou.

Scott turns now to Genesis 19, the story of Lot and his daughters. The protection of daughters reached a low point in Lot’s household in Sodom. Scott has five points he would like to make regarding Lot and his daughters.

Lot’s failure to protect his daughters is on display in this story, and this helps us understand how a father can abdicate his responsibility. Lot’s offering his daughters to the men of Sodom is an outrage and we are so repulsed by it that we miss the point. The core of the problem was sinful incursion in Lot’s life that expressed itself in lack of protection for his daughters. Don’t be so quick to distance yourself from Lot, because you are not exempt from the pressures and social issues that were pressing on Lot.

Scott says that Genesis 19 requires careful interpretation. If we breeze over the text, we might think the focus of the text is the evils of homosexuality, and dismiss it because we’re not homosexuals. If we do this, we might miss the clear lessons here. In the same way, we like to think of other people, instead of ourselves, when we read about the Pharisees.

Scott talks about the broader Scriptural record of Lot, and goes to 2 Peter 4. This text, he says, is the interpretive key. Lot was not reveling in the excesses of Sodom, he was outraged by the evil conduct of his fellow citizens, and deeply conflicted by what he observed around him. People who are repulsed by Lot may be surprised by how Peter refers to him, and that he calls Lot righteous. Scott suggests that we’re not so different than Lot. We’re outraged by the trends around us, we cast judgement on the sins running amok in our culture and there’s no way we can completely disengage from the evils of this culture.

Knowing that Lot offered his daughters to the evil men of Sodom is shocking, but this is still what the word of God teaches. Lot stood in judgement of the wicked men of Sodom, and they thought he was judgmental, and holier-than-thou.

Scott moves to the second half of Genesis 19, talking about the cave that Lot and his daughters lived in

God is merciful to righteous men trapped in Sodom, and even though they don’t have the moral courage on their own to leave, he takes them by the hand to lead them out.

This is a study for when daughters lose hope. In their hopeless state, Lot’s oldest daughter grew panicked, and “saw no human means for the fulfillment of her longings as a woman, all women can understand this, can’t they.” Scott suggests that all daughters are like Lot’s daughters: they have choices to make regarding their hopes and fears, and their leadership in their households. Scott mentions Anna Sophia and Elizabeth Botkin as an excellent example of older and younger daughters. It is critical that the oldest daughter’s heart is captures by Jesus.

The reaction of the oldest daughter brings us face to face with a few important realities

- The inclinations of the firstborn have a big impact on the siblings that follow (Lot’s older daughter could have been better) Scott is very grateful for his oldest daughter Kelly, who led her siblings and cousins to Jesus
- Scott speaks directly to firstborn daughters, and tells them they’re in a unique place in their family, and they are a pace-setter in their family. Guard your heart, treat your brothers honorably, and don’t let disappointments regarding your siblings fill your heart.
- Lot’s eldest daughter was filled with fear. If there is fear in your heart, let God sanctify it. The fear of Lot’s eldest daughter has gripped every daughter in every age: they fear they’ll be left out of marriage and family, and no man will ever love them. It’s important for fathers to know what’s going on in the heart of their daughters. Fathers often shut their daughters down when they say something fearful or uncomfortable, and they should never do that.
- There are dangers particular to men and women. Men struggle with fear and lust, women struggle with fear loneliness, self-pity, and purposelessness, those are the greatest threats to the heart of a daughter. Fathers should always be looking for these terrible forces at work in their daughters’ souls.

Scott moves to the second half of Genesis 19, talking about the cave that Lot and his daughters lived in

God is merciful to righteous men trapped in Sodom, and even though they don’t have the moral courage on their own to leave, he takes them by the hand to lead them out.

This is a study for when daughters lose hope. In their hopeless state, Lot’s oldest daughter grew panicked, and “saw no human means for the fulfillment of her longings as a woman, all women can understand this, can’t they.” Scott suggests that all daughters are like Lot’s daughters: they have choices to make regarding their hopes and fears, and their leadership in their households. Scott mentions Anna Sophia and Elizabeth Botkin as an excellent example of older and younger daughters. It is critical that the oldest daughter’s heart is captures by Jesus.

The reaction of the oldest daughter brings us face to face with a few important realities

- The inclinations of the firstborn have a big impact on the siblings that follow (Lot’s older daughter could have been better) Scott is very grateful for his oldest daughter Kelly, who led her siblings and cousins to Jesus
- Scott speaks directly to firstborn daughters, and tells them they’re in a unique place in their family, and they are a pace-setter in their family. Guard your heart, treat your brothers honorably, and don’t let disappointments regarding your siblings fill your heart.
- Lot’s eldest daughter was filled with fear. If there is fear in your heart, let God sanctify it. The fear of Lot’s eldest daughter has gripped every daughter in every age: they fear they’ll be left out of marriage and family, and no man will ever love them. It’s important for fathers to know what’s going on in the heart of their daughters. Fathers often shut their daughters down when they say something fearful or uncomfortable, and they should never do that.
- There are dangers particular to men and women. Men struggle with fear and lust, women struggle with fear loneliness, self-pity, and purposelessness, those are the greatest threats to the heart of a daughter. Fathers should always be looking for these terrible forces at work in their daughters’ souls.

Well, as we know, Scott Brown is an abysmal failure at all of this.

Stinking hypocrite.

Curious how this "Christian" talk probably never mentioned Jesus other than His words from the cross and "capturing" the oldest daughters' hearts. 

The way I was raised to believe in and about Him, Jesus' 2 big teachings were "follow Me" and "tell others about Me." And following Him meant doing unto others as I would have them do to me -- which would NOT include depriving us of a way to make a living, nor forcing me to kowtow to anybody with male parts.  Etc.

And in telling others about Him, my only responsibility was precisely that: Bear  witness. NOT "close the sale." God the Holy Spirit would do that on the Spirit's own time. No "capturing" anything.

These misogynists misuse the religion of my family and my youth and I find it very hard to forgive them.

And very grateful to those who call them out for what they are. Lookin' at you, @Columbia and so many others here. 

Boy, talk about straining at gnats and swallowing camels.

Scott Brown is a whited sepulcher, besides which he is a fucking asshole.

Did he not do exactly what Lot tried? He offered his daughters to men who were struggling against lust and sin as a proper outlet for that lust. I'm not at all familiar with what he specifically taught, but my guess is he's mentioned some where in there it's best for young men struggling with temptation to be married. It takes on an interesting ironic twist knowing now his son in law was lusting after men. Did he know that at the time of their marriage? Scott I mean. 

And the whole bit about Jesus asking John to watch out for his mother establishing anything related to fathers protecting daughters is absurd and a complete twisting of scripture.

I guess none of them think that keeping sexual predators away from their families is an effective way to protect them?

What continues to startle me is how for all the talk about "protecting your daughters", there seems be awfully little protecting going on. 

As Eveandadam said in the Robertson thread, the bar for marrying someone certainly seem to be much higher in my (non-fundie, partially mainstream religious) world than in theirs. My friends and family would be extremely concerned if my boyfriend had any sort of criminal history, especially if that criminal history was rape. They would feel even less sympathetic toward Facebook apologies that essentially say "it wasn't my fault, won't happen again". 

On 3/17/2017 at 3:30 PM, Columbia said:

Scott contrasts this with other religions. Hindus despise females because they’re a liability because of their dowry. Often they’ll kill baby girls. Muslims don’t educate their women, force them to marry without their consent, make them servants, don’t allow them to own property, and despise them. They are required to be subjected to polygamy. 

Well then, I guess someone forgot to tell the parents of numerous female friends of mine in college who were practicing Hindus and Muslims. 

Seriously, though... :brainbleach:

On 3/18/2017 at 4:55 PM, FundieCentral said:

What continues to startle me is how for all the talk about "protecting your daughters", there seems be awfully little protecting going on. 

The difference is definitely what they feel is worth "protecting" girls and women from. My father wouldn't have cared if I brought home a guy (or woman, I suppose) who was an atheist, which would likely mean he was failing as a parent by these sort of standards. But my father would have cared if I brought home a guy who was trying to control my behavior or thoughts and that sort of thing.

The talk about whether you would want your daughter to marry Nietzsche, Rousseau, or Hitchens is just weird. Rousseau had some very patriarchal views about women that would not be out of place among the FIC crowd.

Nietzsche had a ton of issues around women and the misogyny he displays in his works was probably a mix of a fear of women combined with his unrequited love for Louise Salome; there's this bizarre and iconic photo of Nietzsche and Paul Ree in a yoke with Salome cracking a whip. Although it's assumed that Nietzsche died of syphilis from a prostitute, no one really knows for sure what his problem was. It's quite possible he died without ever having sex. Suffice to say, he wasn't really "the marrying kind," whatever his problems were.

As for Hitchens, his views about women were all over the place, and he wasn't a great husband, but he does seem to have been a good father. Certainly a better father than Scott Brown has been. Whatever Hitchens's faults, he wouldn't have deprived his daughters of an education and sold them off to the highest (possibly closeted) bidder.

Irony, thy name is Scottie.  He basically forced Kelly to marry Petey without her consent.  AND didn't educate her enough in basic common sense to be able to figure out quickly that her husband is gay and/or bisexual.  

As for Muslims not allowing women to be educated...someone forgot to tell Fatima al-Fihri, the WOMAN who founded the oldest active university in the world, in Morocco in the 9th century.  As well as the numerous female Islamic scholars throughout the centuries.  

16 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

As for Muslims not allowing women to be educated...someone forgot to tell Fatima al-Fihri, the WOMAN who founded the oldest active university in the world, in Morocco in the 9th century.  As well as the numerous female Islamic scholars throughout the centuries.  

Same with his claim that Muslims don't allow women to own property, since the Quran's clear inheritance laws for widows were pretty progressive for their time and provided an economic outlet to widows. Dollars to doughnuts, Pastor Brown has never cracked open the Quran or Bhagavad Gita, despite how much he loves to carry on about what Muslims and Hindus believe.

And he apparently doesn't spend much time at universities, which are typically filled with Muslim and Hindu young women with challenging majors and parents pushing them to make Dean's List every semester.

Archived