IGNORED

Pastors Lose It Over a Portrayal of God as a Woman in 'The Shack'

ViolaSebastian

New year, same old sexism. These fine fellows are upset about Octavia Spencer's portrayal of God in the new film 'The Shack.' They assure us that race has nothing to do with it, by the way. Uh-huh.

Young’s pretentious caricature of God as a heavy set, cushy, non-judgmental, African American woman called ‘Papa’ (who resembles the New Agey Oprah Winfrey far more than the one true God revealed through the Lord Jesus Christ—Hebrews 1:1-3), and his depiction of the Holy Spirit as a frail Asian woman with the Hindu name, Sarayu, lends itself to a dangerous and false image of God and idolatry,” Joe Schimmel, pastor of Blessed Hope Chapel in Simi Valley, California and host of the documentary “Hollywood’s War on God,” told Christian News Network.

http://christiannews.net/2016/12/20/christians-warn-upcoming-shack-movie-depicting-god-as-woman-could-far-outweigh-harm-of-novel/

Ah, yes, I forgot how filmmakers are beholden to the opinions of pastors who didn't finance the production of their movie...

I'd wager their discomfort with the movie's portrayal of God as an African-American woman isn't just based on race... I'm sure gender plays a part, too!

Also, do people really think that just cause you see a movie you will wind up believing and agreeing with everything in it? Yikes.

This reminds me of a homework assignment I had in Year 7 (6th grade) in RS (Religious Studies). We were told to ask ten people what they thought God looked like. My aunt said "She is black". It's entirely possible, thinking back, that my aunt was being a little left-field and giving the opposite answer to how God is traditionally regarded (at least in Western culture). But it was an interesting assignment nonetheless as everyone gave different answers. 

FWIW we're all atheist in my family.

I remember this being a big deal when the book first came out.

I do think that in this case they're more upset about God being a woman than God being black. Theologically it wouldn't really matter if God were black or not, but for those who believe that a male gender is an essential part of God's identity then it's practically blasphemous to portray God as female.

By the way, God is occasionally described in feminine terms in the Bible.

Apparently that preacher forgot the verse about humans being made in his image. 

4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

That is ridiculous, everyone knows God is an old white dude with a beard.

No, he's not. Everyone knows he smokes cigars and is George Burns. (That is going to go right over the head of many young FJers.)

Eh.  A bunch of sexist religious men.  Nothing new here.

If there wasn't some pastor somewhere with his panties in a wad over something Hollywood has produced, I would pass out from shock.

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

And Jesus is a young white dude with a beard.  And long, flowing locks.

@AmazonGrace no, that is Santa Clause.

@quiversR4hunting that was one of my favorite movies. George Burns, John Denver! Funny. Now I have to go Ruku it to see if it is still as good as my teenage mind remembers.

If god is a supreme being isn't it a little petty to be offended by how someone "draws" it? Unless god is actually trump. Then I completely understand. Run away! Run away!

57 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I know, right?  One has to wonder what kind of product Metrosexual Jesus is rockin' to keep those locks in perfect shape.  

Ima guessing historical Jesus was under five feet tall and swarthy. 

2 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Apparently that preacher forgot the verse about humans being made in his image. 

No, he's not. Everyone knows he smokes cigars and is George Burns. (That is going to go right over the head of many young FJers.)

You beat me to it, I thought that god was George Burns.  I need to see Oh, God again.

3 hours ago, smittykins said:

64202456.jpg

9 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

And icy blue eyes.

Father Andrew Greeley has always implied God is a woman. One of his best books is about the Archangel Gabriel being married to Lucifer.

So I read this thread and my brain thinks "hmmm, bet Joe Schimmel has something to say about The Shack and heresy of some sort"  (because that is the kind of Pastor good ole Joe is).  So I do a google search and. Yup

http://cupofjoe.goodfight.org/the-shack-and-the-seduction-of-the-church

But hey that's just about the book.

http://cupofjoe.goodfight.org/shack-coming-to-big-screen/

(Joe is a piece of work and in general thinks everything in Hollywood and the Music industry is evil work of satan worshipers who have sold out to demonic forces.  Take the rescue ferrets with you if you go to his site.  I used to listen to his podcasts when I was on the evangelical path).  

After being contacted by Heather Clark of Christian News Network, Shadow and Act has revised their original article dated December 21, 2016 to more accurately reflect what the Christian News Network article reported. To be clear, Schimmel has never made (nor ever would make) any disparaging remarks about race (see our Official Response regarding racism). This is (and has always been) a theological discussion.

Geez, I can't imagine why anyone would ever think this has anything to do with race.

Young’s pretentious caricature of God as a heavy set, cushy, non-judgmental, African American woman called ‘Papa’ (who resembles the New Agey Oprah Winfrey far more than the one true God revealed through the Lord Jesus Christ—Hebrews 1:1-3), and his depiction of the Holy Spirit as a frail Asian woman with the Hindu name, Sarayu, lends itself to a dangerous and false image of God and idolatry,”

Oh wait. It's because he's the one that mentioned race and he's the one that made it about race. 

The first problem? Joe Schimmel never used the term “fat black woman” (so no, those are not Schimmel’s words, but those of the author of this fallacious article). Schimmel simply wrote about the character as the author of the book describes her. (You can read Schimmel’s entire quote here: The Shack is Coming to the Big Screen)

Of course he didn't, he said:

Young’s pretentious caricature of God as a heavy set, cushy, non-judgmental, African American woman called ‘Papa’ (who resembles the New Agey Oprah Winfrey far more than the one true God revealed through the Lord Jesus Christ—Hebrews 1:1-3)

I guess heavy set and African-American is better than fat and black, right? :?

I might be shocked there wasn't a paragraph tying The Shack to Aleister Crowley.  (because in Joe's mind seemingly everything and everyone that is wrong/evil in his view ties back to Mr. Crowley)  

20 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

No, he's not.  He USED to be George Burns, but these days he's Morgan Freeman.

I am not familiar with the movie or the book, but now I may watch this movie, just to support the people who made it.

• 2 months later...

Interestingly enough, the pastor at the church where I work (not attend) lent me a copy of The Shack.  When I told him the local theatre was offering discount tickets to churches, he said, nope, I have issues with the movie.

Not having read the book, I assumed it was the usual "book to movie translation" gone bad.  He still has not elaborated on what his issues are.  When I return the book, I may ask him.

I read 1/2 the book and was immediately drawn into the story.  Might finish it this weekend.

5 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

Interestingly enough, the pastor at the church where I work (not attend) lent me a copy of The Shack.  When I told him the local theatre was offering discount tickets to churches, he said, nope, I have issues with the movie.

Not having read the book, I assumed it was the usual "book to movie translation" gone bad.  He still has not elaborated on what his issues are.  When I return the book, I may ask him.

I read 1/2 the book and was immediately drawn into the story.  Might finish it this weekend.

It would be interesting to hear his response, though he might flip it around and ask if *you* saw any issues with the book. 

I usually steer away from politics and religion at work unless I know my co-workers are also atheist and not Democrat (or Republican) but I guess it's kinda hard to do that when you work at a church, ha!

Archived