IGNORED

Gloriavale

iheartchacos

"A documentary has revealed what life is like for women inside a controversial Christian community in New Zealand, whose members are completely segregated from the outside world.

Gloriavale: A Woman's Place is about a woman's role in the community of about 500 who live near Haupiri, on the west coast of New Zealand's South Island.

The documentary, which aired on television in New Zealand in July, looks at Gloriavale's openly submissive female community members and their day-to-day roles, reported the NZ Herald."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3726459/Cooking-cleaning-making-babies-Inside-ultra-conservative-Christian-cult-Gloriavale-women-s-lives-strictly-controlled-no-contact-outside-world.html

p>

I want to see!

I read this on the daily mail earlier. It looks fascinating. These fundies could give Benessa and the Bradricks a run for their money for shitty baby names- Dove Love? Watchful Steadfast?

I want this documentary on Netflix ASAP. 

Love how the article waits till the last paragraph to drop the bombshell that the founder of this community was jailed for sexual abuse in 1995. I say 'bombshell' but really, this is not surprising at all. What IS surprising -- and sad -- is that the community has continued unchanged for 20 more years after that revelation. 

i really want to see this after reading some articles and seeing the previews. if anybody finds a stream or download and it's not posted in here, please PM me.

Friendly reminder: Please do not post links to illegal streaming websites on FJ. Thank you for understanding.

There are some older documentaries on Gloriavale on Youtube that deal with the group in a more general sense:

This one touches on courtship in Gloriavale and the abuse charges against the leader. He served time for abusing one of his own sons, but the minute he was released from prison, he was welcomed back as leader by the community.

ETA This author says that the newest documentary whitewashes what she believes are serious human rights violations in Gloriavale:

http://www.listener.co.nz/entertainment/television/tv-review-gloriavale-documentary/

My guess is that the filmmaker has to appear somewhat non-judgemental, or else the community wouldn't allow her to film. But the commentary the article writer notes from the film does seem like the film is trying to put a happy face on a very authoritarian and misogynistic way of life.

On 8/6/2016 at 1:21 PM, princessmahina said:

Dove Love? Watchful Steadfast

Those names sound appropriate for a 1970's era pimp.

Do they get any -- or many -- new converts? If not, I wonder how long till they develop a genetic disorder from interbreeding, like the Short Creek FLDS group.

ETA: In particular given statistics like the one cited in the video above -- that 20% of the community is now composed of descendants of the leader.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

The series is available on Amazon Prime now, if anyone wants to watch. It was interesting, but it feels more like an advertisement for Gloriavale than a documentary. It’s very favorably edited towards them and doesn’t mention any of the criminal charges or escapee stories. You get to see Angel and Josiah from the above linked YT video seven years on with five kids and one on the way. Watching it made me wonder if they only got permission to film by letting the leaders have editing approval or something. It’s way too fawning towards the Gloriavale group. 

Go listen to the TedTalk by Lilia Tarawa. It’s on YouTube. She grew up in Gloriavale and her grandfather was the leader. She’s out now obviously. 

Her talk is amazing and she wrote a book as well, called Daughter of Gloriavale. It goes into the abuse more and talks about how her family got out. This is one of my gateway Fundie groups and I’ve read/watched a lot about them. I’ve looked for discussions on here before, but since it’s not as well known a group I had to reach to find this thread lol ?

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread because I stumbled across this documentary on Amazon and I'm watching it now. I'm on the third episode, but it seems like a very idealistic view of this community. I find myself hearing certain words or hearing certain things and thinking "this is ripe to be abused..." Turns out my instincts were correct. :(

Archived