IGNORED

edible hedge

OnceUponATime

The area between my neighbor's house and our back yard has been cleared. As a results we have lost all privacy in our living room and need/want to get some back. We want to grow an edible hedge to help block the view. I'm currently in research mode trying to figure something out.

Does anyone have an edible hedge or seen one? How wide/thick is it and what was in it? Any advice?

In what part of the world do you live? What's the climate like? Where I am (CA), I'd go for a variety of raspberries, roses, and elderberry, but that might not work in your climate...

Good point. Where I am, citrus grows well and a mature lemon or satsuma can block a lot of view after a few years. Also, grape varieties cover a lot of areas and a good trellis provides much privacy

In that case, what are your favorite citruses? Or does your family have a marked preference? Thai limes are incredible (fruit and leaves are edible and delicious). Grapes are all kinds of fun, so if you go with those, enjoy!

If you're in the southeast Meyer lemons are great. Good factoid that can probably go somewhere in the food sub forum too. Lemons and limes can be frozen whole and thawed later for cooking. They actually juice better post thaw

I'm in Europe, approximately a hardiness zone of 8b. @amandaaries I have raspberries elsewhere and don't really want to put in more (because they tend to spread insanely far here)

@Roux last winter my lemon tree that was in teh greenhouse nearly died. It's leaves got covered in ice... they weren't happy. So I'm a bit hesitant about trying to grow citrus outside because if I'd probably have to try and protect them.

Wait - you are zone 8b?!!!!!!

*kicks can randomly and disconsolately*

*itty bitty voice*  2b over here.  Sad panda.

What about the suggestion of elderberries?

Rosemary?

(I'm being random.)

I'm in a warmer climate so my lemons usually thrive. I've tried raspberries but I'm too warm. From what I've been told they do well in your zone. Blueberries also do ok in a little colder than me, but do ok here early summer

2 hours ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Wait - you are zone 8b?!!!!!!

*kicks can randomly and disconsolately*

*itty bitty voice*  2b over here.  Sad panda.

What about the suggestion of elderberries?

Rosemary?

(I'm being random.)

My husband is growing rosemary along our chain link fence for privacy. We're in zone 8a, and it does great here in the winter, so it should do even better in zone 8b. :pb_smile:

Rosemary is a great suggestion. It smells great and fills out well. Bonnieplants.com has great info on it, including how it does in zone 8.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you were zone 9 you can grow a dragon fruit tree/cactus. They look awesome, and have beautiful blooms. I think I will grow one in a planter and bring it in in the winter

image.jpeg

grapes would be bad in winter since they lose their leaves. you need evergreen plants. I did not find anything that would work and stay green. I found a cool plant that is a shrub called a honey berry they taste great and look cool but again not ever green.  best bet go to a good nursery and ask thats always worked for m since it will be the right zone. 

• 1 month later...

Archived