Anna LeBaron has written a memoir about her childhood at Colonia LeBaron. She is a daughter of Ervil, who died in prison after ordering his followers to blood atone his brother Joel and numerous others. She escaped when she was 13.

She's super Christian now, so I'm a little apprehensive about how the book might be spun, but certainly should be an interesting read. Looks like it's coming out next year.

Also: she looks really, really uncannily like her cousin, Christine Brown, whose mother is a LeBaron.

12920379_1764443237121854_90581149835576

Similar angle photo of Christine, for reference. Crazy, isn't it?

brown-christine-image.jpg

• Upvote 7

Dudes! I just finished two books from gals who survived the LeBaron's. One by Susan Schmidt called Favorite Wife: Escape from Polygamy (loved it), one named Cult Insanity by Irene Spencer (both Irene and Susan were Verlan Lebaron's wives, Verlan was Erivl's brother). Yesterday I finished The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner (this poor gal was sexually abused by his stepfather for years, and her mom did SHIT for her). the three of them are now off polygamy, but yes, some are pretty staunch Christians. 

There's an article by Wariner in Cosmo (of course!): http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/news/a51783/how-i-escaped-from-a-polygamist-cult/

• I Agree 2

Oh I read about this earlier tonight on politicsrus tumblr. Was curious about this. The other books you mentioned @seattlechic sound interesting to. Going to see if there are e-book copies of them, my reading for the summer.

And the niece looks just like Christine. I first thought it was a younger photo of her you posted @withaj.....

Edited by Angelic83
  • Upvote 1

I got all the books from our local library -- they're not that compelling that I would recommend buying them. 

Library is probably a good idea. However, you can return kindle books within 10 days, no questions asked. I have done this occasionally when I haven't been able to get into a book.

Holy moley, she really does look a lot like Christine! Like they could be twins or something.

Another book about polygamy is always a good thing, as these places need to be ousted always. However, I do wonder how her new religion will play into the way it's spun.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Holy moley, she really does look a lot like Christine! Like they could be twins or something.

Another book about polygamy is always a good thing, as these places need to be ousted always. However, I do wonder how her new religion will play into the way it's spun.

Yes, I had to do a double take. It's such a strong resemblance. Anna and Christine are 1c1r -- first cousins once removed -- which should mean they share 6.5% of their DNA. 

The books about the LeBarons interest me, but somehow seem less important in the scheme of things because their group pretty much self-destructed decades ago. There are, of course, important lessons to take from their history, as from any polygamist group -- shit gets crazy and creates situations rife for abuse.

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...
On 6/21/2016 at 5:13 PM, seattlechic said:

I got all the books from our local library -- they're not that compelling that I would recommend buying them. 

I actually see buying them as an important way to support these women/families who escape and are brave enough to share their stories, and to encourage others.

Just finished Susan's book and Ruth's (both mentioned above).

• Upvote 2