IGNORED

Rome elects first female mayor in history

47of74

Some excellent news out of Italy today;

nbcnews.com/news/world/five-star-movement-s-virginia-raggi-outsider-now-rome-mayor-n595481

A virtual unknown became Rome's first female mayor in the almost 3,000-year history of the so-called "Eternal City" on Sunday, giving Italy's anti-establishment Five Star Movement its biggest victory to date.

Lawyer Virginia Raggi won around two-thirds of the vote, the Interior Ministry announced Monday.

The 37-year-old beat Roberto Giachetti, the candidate backed by Prime Minister Matteo Renzi. Another Five Star candidate also elected mayor in the northern industrial city of Turin.

"Finally Rome has a woman as mayor," the mother-of-one wrote on her Facebook page after her victory was announced. "This is a historic moment. At a time when equal opportunities are still a myth, this victory is of extraordinary value."

Best of luck Ms. Raggi!

Does it make me a bad person if I look forward to the various displays of butthurt from men both here and in Italy who are less than pleased over this development?

22 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Some excellent news out of Italy today;

nbcnews.com/news/world/five-star-movement-s-virginia-raggi-outsider-now-rome-mayor-n595481

Best of luck Ms. Raggi!

Does it make me a bad person if I look forward to the various displays of butthurt from men both here and in Italy who are less than pleased over this development?

I'm totally and unashamedly enjoying the butthurt. But to honour the truth I need to say that said butthurt is due mainly to Raggi being a member of the anri-establishment M5S and to her being able to defeat the candidate supported by the Premier Renzi. Rome as a city is in a dire state, in the last year it endured an administrative scandal every other day, mainly because of corruption, it also has 12 billions of euros of debt accumulated in a very short time while administrated by all the traditional parties at different times. And in the last years it was saved twice from bankruptcy with ad hoc laws. The citizens of Rome in this situation chose for the first time a mayor that doesn't belong nor is affiliated to any of the traditional parties and that also happens to be a woman. 

Personally I don't care that Raggi is a woman (she's also the youngest mayor of Rome ever). The only thing that matters to me is if she will demonstrate to be a good administrator. In this moment she's the best hope for a new less corrupt class of politicians governing our country in the future. The whole Italy is keeping an eye on Raggi and Chiara Appendino, new mayor of Turin after defeating Piero Fassino who is the former mayor and President of ANCI the national association of mayors, to know if our hopes are concrete or if our dreams of better politicians, no corruption and better administration will be shattered once again.

I too send her my best wishes for her being capable to manage an extremely shitty situation. It will be tough and I don't envy her not even for one minute. 

7 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

I'm totally and unashamedly enjoying the butthurt. But to honour the truth I need to say that said butthurt is due mainly to Raggi being a member of the anri-establishment M5S and to her being able to defeat the candidate supported by the Premier Renzi. Rome as a city is in a dire state, in the last year it endured an administrative scandal every other day, mainly because of corruption, it also has 12 billions of euros of debt accumulated in a very short time while administrated by all the traditional parties at different times. And in the last years it was saved twice from bankruptcy with ad hoc laws. The citizens of Rome in this situation chose for the first time a mayor that doesn't belong nor is affiliated to any of the traditional parties and that also happens to be a woman. 

Personally I don't care that Raggi is a woman (she's also the youngest mayor of Rome ever). The only thing that matters to me is if she will demonstrate to be a good administrator. In this moment she's the best hope for a new less corrupt class of politicians governing our country in the future. The whole Italy is keeping an eye on Raggi and Chiara Appendino, new mayor of Turin after defeating Piero Fassino who is the former mayor and President of ANCI the national association of mayors, to know if our hopes are concrete or if our dreams of better politicians, no corruption and better administration will be shattered once again.

I too send her my best wishes for her being capable to manage an extremely shitty situation. It will be tough and I don't envy her not even for one minute. 

It pains me to here of Rome being in such trouble.  I really love the città di Roma.  I've been there three times and would love to go back. 

Archived