IGNORED

London receptionist sent home for refusing to wear heels

47of74

Some stupidity from across the pond;

bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-36264229

A London receptionist was sent home from work after refusing to wear high heels, it has emerged.

Temp worker Nicola Thorp, 27, from Hackney, arrived at finance company PwC to be told she had to wear shoes with a "2in to 4in heel".

When she refused and complained male colleagues were not asked to do the same, she was sent home without pay.

Outsourcing firm Portico said Ms Thorp had "signed the appearance guidelines" but it would now review them.

I'd like to make whoever came up with that dumbass policy to be made to stand at attention in spike heels for eight hours straight.

My husband recently interviewed with this company. I wonder if they discussed his inability to work wearing heels...

Wearing 2-4 inch heels, for 8+ hours a day, sounds like absolute hell. I'm all for dress codes, but this is beyond ridiculous. 

I saw this article yesterday, and another one with this same rule. The other one was worse, because it was the dress code for female servers at some restaurant. 

26 minutes ago, SnazzyNazzy said:

Wearing 2-4 inch heels, for 8+ hours a day, sounds like absolute hell. I'm all for dress codes, but this is beyond ridiculous. 

I saw this article yesterday, and another one with this same rule. The other one was worse, because it was the dress code for female servers at some restaurant. 

It's kind of like the whole bathroom kerfuffle the widestancers in the GOP are whipping people up into a frenzy over.  If you're paying that much attention to another person's feet then you're the one with the problem, not the person you want to force to wear high heels.  I'm not looking at a person's shoes when in work situations or when I'm going out to eat or some such.

I hate heels! I don't understand the idea that heels are somehow more chic or professional looking than flats. Especially if you're like me and you can't walk in heels. I'm a fast walker and heels mess with my natural gait. Someone walking clients around smoothly in flats is a lot more professional than someone clunking around like a T-Rex in shoes they're uncomfortable in.

16 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

Someone walking clients around smoothly in flats is a lot more professional than someone clunking around like a T-Rex in shoes they're uncomfortable in.

I work with a woman like that! She regularly wears 3 & 4" heels. She doesn't walk so much as goose step all over the place. She also happens to be pigeon toed so she looks especially akward. 

Since she has never asked for my opinion I have never offered it but, she looks much less awkward in flats.

Archived