IGNORED

"Barbie Savior:" amazing parody of evangelical missionaries on social media

alexandracabot

Had to share this fake instagram account parodying Christian missionaries in Africa — totally hilarious. Some quotes feel like they were lifted directly from evangelical missionaries' instagrams.

I picture Jessa, painting those little girls fingernails on a mission trip.  The picture of Barbie with a cup of coffee looks like Jessa.  

Who knew they had coffee in Africa?

:pb_lol:

I wonder if this is the same person who did Socality Barbie because that was brilliant.

This is hilarious. 

Voluntourism is a huge pet peeve of mine and I can go on about it for a long time, so I'm kind of glad I'm on my phone right now and not able to go on for ages! 

I'll just say that I hope this makes more people think about this kind of tourism. It's particularly common among Christians, but is certainly not limited to religious people. 

6 hours ago, DaffyDill said:

OMG! Saviour Barbie makes me think of Raquel! So impressed with herself :)

Right down to the sick selfie!  Holy cow!!!!

6 hours ago, DaffyDill said:

OMG! Saviour Barbie makes me think of Raquel! So impressed with herself :)

Raquel was the first thing that came to my mind! This one especially. She is always posting stuff about longing for her "home" in Peru and to hold in her arms her orphan "best friends". 

Going through that instagram account cheered me up on a stressed out day. V funny. Those hashtags are the best bit though! :pb_lol:

The hash tags make this. The pink Barbie jeep with #gimmethattoottoot and #gimmethatbeepbeep. :pb_lol:

Okay, I am way late to the party, but I just saw this and it is HILARIOUS. It also reminds me waaay to much of my sister-in-law, who once went to South Africa for two weeks, cuddled some Poor Black OrphansTM, posted a gazillion pictures of this on Facebook and has been going on about how she is homesick for South Africa ever since.

ETA: Just wanted to mention that she is not religious at all, so no Christian element there. Just that secular white savior complex for ya.

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

Okay, I am way late to the party, but I just saw this and it is HILARIOUS. It also reminds me waaay to much of my sister-in-law, who once went to South Africa for two weeks, cuddled some Poor Black OrphansTM, posted a gazillion pictures of this on Facebook and has been going on about how she is homesick for South Africa ever since.

ETA: Just wanted to mention that she is not religious at all, so no Christian element there. Just that secular white savior complex for ya.

Perfect description.  I have an "acquaintance" from HS on my FB feed that recently spent quite a long stint in Africa with a Peace Corps type position.  Honestly, I found her pics and selfies rather interesting and inspiring for a while, until she went on what seemed to be a fairly expensive "tour" of dozens of other super-popular African/Middle Eastern destinations prior to returning to the US, which I doubt was on her dime.  Now she's back  living a typical white-privileged life and I see all her "brothers and sisters" in Africa commenting on her posts.  While their comment are fairly ambiguous, I wonder how they really feel.  

#becausedoingnothingisinspiring ... :pb_lol: Is that a Rodrigues hashtag?

23 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

#becausedoingnothingisinspiring ... :pb_lol: Is that a Rodrigues hashtag?

...shared by John Shrader?

Archived