IGNORED

Chucking College: Achieve Success Without Corruption

roddma

On 2/28/2016 at 11:00 PM, JMarie said:

This chick is really making me stabby.  I liked college.  My campus wasn't very diverse, but I liked being around people who weren't exactly like me.  I liked expanding my mind.  I don't think there's anything with being smart.

I tried to find out where she attended.  She was a student at a supposedly Christian school from '09 to '10, went on a European tour that April (where all her classmates wanted to drink but she didn't), and was chosen as an RA for the upcoming year (but she didn't return).  I wonder if it was Oberlin.

OBERLIN??????????

OC class of 19mmmh mmmh here.  I am far more left-leaning than most of my friends and relatives, but at Oberlin I was probably slightly right of the Oberlin center.

17 hours ago, VVV said:

OBERLIN??????????

OC class of 19mmmh mmmh here.  I am far more left-leaning than most of my friends and relatives, but at Oberlin I was probably slightly right of the Oberlin center.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend.  I was using this as a guide:  http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/318714-good-cello-schools.html

I know that DePaul would be the "wrong" kind of Christian college.

On 2/29/2016 at 7:49 PM, roddma said:

Yes Nancy Campbell thought her daughter, Serene, and grandkids running around the house to keep warm wsa hilarious. They had their power cut and the downstairs flooded but her turd husband wouldn't fix it, nor try to pay bills.There was a thread on the old Yuku site about this.But here's an older article about the situation.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nolongerquivering/2010/08/above-rubies-magazine-when-bad-things-happen-to-quiverfull-moms/

That was worse than I expected.  Wow.  Is the old yuku page still somewhere that can be read?

On 28/02/2016 at 1:25 PM, Marian the Librarian said:

She quotes Doug Phillips the Rapist/Tool on page 109 in the Chapter 6 sample:

And the book has been endorsed by none other than Jennie Chancey, Kevin Swanson, and Nancy Campbell - all shining lights in the "Keep the wimminfolk barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen" school.

Gag me.

"Doug Phillips has said, 'College is a trip through Babylon. If the academics don't get you, the dorm life will."

If Gothard don't get you, the DPiaT will.  Or Joshley.

So many the fundies who went to college are the most outspoken about not going to college- Kelly at Generation Starvation, Steve & Terri Maxhell, Doug Phillips (is a giant tool) & Jenny Chancy .  I cannot imagine telling PsyD junior that he can't go to college.  I had wayyyy to much fun in Babylon.  

15 hours ago, JMarie said:

Sorry, didn't mean to offend.  I was using this as a guide:  http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/318714-good-cello-schools.html

You didn't offend but you did give me a hearty laugh.  Yes, Oberlin has a top-tier music conservatory, and yes, it originally had ties with a Christian denomination (Congregational, I think) but any sort of Christian affiliation has long since been relegated to the dustbin of history and Oberlin always makes the top ten list of most liberal campuses.  When I was there (late 70s/early 80s) the dorms were coed by room; now, male and female students may choose each other as roommates.  There is a lot of political activity on campus as well--Oberlin has recently (and not in a very complimentary way) been in the NY Times.  Any fundie enrolled at Oberlin (if there even is such a person) must be very lonely.

17 hours ago, JMarie said:

Plus there's a connection to teh ebil rock music(the band Chicago got its start there).

On 2/28/2016 at 9:21 PM, JMarie said:

One year of college and she's an expert. Seriously??

And she also blesses babies.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6587486.Melanie_Ellison

Well, a bit more than that.  It looks like she is actually a doula, and from her bio, it sounds like she has a real certification. devotedhandsdoula.com/about.html  I looked at her blog, and I actually really like some of her newborn photography.

I noticed that the Chucking College book has a copyright of 2012(pre-VF implosion), so I wonder if Ellison's belief system has been changed at all by those events.  I know that it caused a lot of soul-searching all over various religious communities.

3 hours ago, VVV said:

Sorry, didn't mean to offend.  I was using this as a guide:  http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/318714-good-cello-schools.html

You didn't offend but you did give me a hearty laugh.  Yes, Oberlin has a top-tier music conservatory, and yes, it originally had ties with a Christian denomination (Congregational, I think) but any sort of Christian affiliation has long since been relegated to the dustbin of history and Oberlin always makes the top ten list of most liberal campuses.  When I was there (late 70s/early 80s) the dorms were coed by room; now, male and female students may choose each other as roommates.  There is a lot of political activity on campus as well--Oberlin has recently (and not in a very complimentary way) been in the NY Times.  Any fundie enrolled at Oberlin (if there even is such a person) must be very lonely.

I thought it was pretty funny too. My daughter went to Oberlin and I'd say it's probably the college fundies have in mind when they talk about how college can ruin a person--it puts the liberal in Liberal Arts. It's a little OTT at times (and they've definitely had some issues recently) but the thought of a fundie at Oberlin is very amusing. Newt Gingrich was actually a convocation speaker there a few years ago, invited by the Oberlin Republican Club. All three of them, as my daughter said.

FYI, Oberlin was a major player in the Underground Railroad, was the first college to admit blacks, one of the first coed colleges and the town (which is basically the college) was the birthplace of the Anti-Saloon League at the start of the Temperance movement (considered a very progressive movement). Yeah, definitely not fundie.

The thread is still up
http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/2610

That was worse than I expected. Wow. Is the old yuku page still somewhere that can be read?

On 2/29/2016 at 11:54 PM, VVV said:

OBERLIN??????????

I went to Brown. I'm to the left of communist, but moderate by Brown standards.

On 2/29/2016 at 11:54 PM, VVV said:

OBERLIN??????????

I was recruited for track to Oberlin and had friends who went there. I went to Brown at the height of the SexPowerGod scandal (Bill O'Reilly snuck cameras into the annual Queer Alliance party in one of the main campus buildings and put the whole thing on Fox News "You would be safer on the streets of Baghdad tonight than at Brown University" one of the gems from the broadcast we were quite proud of). I later went to CU Boulder and it was like the Young Republicans Club to me.

Anyway that said, Hampshire College near Amherst, MA still takes the cake as the most over the top hyper liberal college stereotype IMO.

I went to visit my friend at Berkeley a couple years back. I was expecting the kind of hyper liberal college describe above and it managed to really surprise me. It's very liberal, but I also saw at least two JW tables and another random street preacher screaming of hell fire. We also drove pass a gorgeous Mormon temple that was about 5mins from campus I believe. Their were even fliers for a College Republican's meeting next to the ones for planned protests and vegan living co-ops. 

Lol, she went to Luther? I know a couple of people who went there. I don't think it's especially religious but also not exactly a party school. Decorah's claim to fame is a bald eagle nest that's broadcast on webcam every year.

I went to a state school and the depths of my depravity would have blown this girl's mind right out of her ears. But the thing is that I had to try for that! It took me a while to figure out where the party was at, and I promise you that nobody ever came up to me with free weed and insisted I smoke it. It would probably take a lot less energy to just stay in the dorms on a Friday night, where many of the other kids were engaged in much tamer pursuits. Oh, and I graduated with around  $20K in debt-- which is no laughing matter to be sure, and it's more than the average student ends up with. But I'm still in my 20s and I've already paid it off. Far cry from the life-ruining six figures that college detractors always insist you'll end up with.

Archived