IGNORED

Meredith's Husband is at Harvard

MissBitters

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised to find I have a mutual Facebook friend with Meredith! It's someone I know from high school (homeschool) debate and she went on to marry a Harvard law student so that's readily explainable. Still unsettling, though.

As a former kid raised in an IFB church, I had a lot of luck in the parent lottery because my dad is a literal award winning genius who believed in the importance of a good education.  And my mom called the shots- mostly that I was going to be another IFBer, but she is also very smart, and was on board with me having a good education, so long as I used it for Jesus.  I went to a top 20 school in the US- the only one to ever turn down an offer to join the Ivy League. But that whole time I was preparing to use my intelligence to further the beliefs of my church.  It wasn't until my Senior year that I had a faith crisis and then in my second year of law school, with an out-of-wedlock pregnancy.  

Up until that point, I would have had no sympathy for the girl who was contemplating an abortion. And then I found myself in a situation where I'd never thought I'd be- where the knowledge that I could have one, if I chose to, was this only comfort I had.  Ultimately, I decided  to have my daughter, but it would be a big old lie if I said I didn't consider ending the pregnancy before my Fundie family and friends knew about it. 

I feel like I needed to spell all of this out so that it really makes sense when I say- the uneducated, possibly smart, fundie does not scare me; it is the highly educated, extremely smart one that terrifies me.  No one who has the intelligence and education of someone like Stephan Hammer can authentically believe in this warped version of Christianity.  My college was filled with people so much smarter than me, many who were more Godly and more conservative, and they all ended up in the same place as me; questioning why they had faith in a God who only saw black and white, right and wrong- who had no tolerance for anything except intolernace of "the other."  

The educated, highly intelligent Fundie is something to be greatly feared.  The damage done by the very well educated DPIAT is so much greater and widespread than most everything we've seen here on FJ and/or talked about. There is nothing more perilous to a woman, or her personal liberty, than an intelligent, highly educated fundie, with a political agenda.  Just read "God's Harvard" and you'll see what I mean. ( And most of those people couldn't have gotten into my college with a letter of recommendation from the President, himself.)  Stephen Hammer had specific goals and aspirations that he crafted long before this current fundie incarnation he created for himself.  And that, and he, scares the shit out of me. 

Yep, from the first time I saw that sailboat shot, I thought "Kennedy".  I'd love to hear her speak.  Jacqueline Kennedy had a very soft, demure way of speaking and I'd like to know if Meredith has that down yet.  Of course, Jackie also had a degree in French literature and had some appreciable job history prior to marrying JFK.  Snap to it, Meredith!

If Stephen reads here (he probably does, right?), he's already plotting what his public answers will be to the questions that will come up about Meredith's education and his younger years as a UU heathen and sexually active unmarried man.

I hope the courtship story is preserved somewhere other than the website it appears on since that will probably be one of the first things to disappear as he continues to sculpt his image for politics.

The smocking on the children's clothing is quite an art form and one I cannot master, but for the love of God, stop!  The girls can still pull it off, I guess (if the choir-robe effect were toned down a bit), but the boy I feel is too old for it and would look much better in a cute pair of Osh Kosh overalls, even if they were khaki!

Meredith's and Stephen's courtship story is as creepy as it comes.   It comes off as part of a very calculated game plan (which of course, it is) yet poor Meredith has no clue.   She probably thinks she's landed the most wonderful husband and she's the luckiest girl in the world but it's just so obviously unequal and squicky.

Stephen had to have known some pretty smart women while in the college, he's had to have girlfriends so I wonder what may have happened in a prior relationship that made him decided on a basically uneducated SAHD for a wife.  My guess he decided he didn't want someone who could "compete" with him.   You know, "uppity" women.

I'm not so sure Meredith is unaware of Stephen's game plan. Stephen may be more calculating, but  I think they are both ambitious in their own ways. Stephen desires to be a politician and Meredith wants to be a role model of the perfect Christian wife and mother. Her original blog was definitely geared toward potential stay-at-home daughters. One of the reasons she had those 20 (might be exaggerated) bell ringers in her wedding was because she wanted the little girls to witness her godly courtship and marriage. And then there is this quote from the Shining Stars article:

We both pray that the Lord will use us mightily as a couple; that we may be a Jonathan and Sarah Edwards of our generation. I pray nearly daily that the Lord will mold me into an excellent wife for such a godly man.

It's still an unequal relationship, but they both seem to working towards a common goal. It will be interesting to see if Meredith and Stephen start making a name for themselves in Conservative circles in the future. 

I could actually get behind that platform..,but that would mean that Creepy Stephen would be president, and ain't nobody got time for that.

When I look at the photographs on her facebook page, I can't help but be reminded of some of those classic shots of the Kennedys.  Stephen and Meredith relaxing on a sailboat, the children impeccably dressed in front a front porch with an American flag waving in the background, Stephen dressed in uniform with a gun while he lays a big wet one on Meredith...seriously, just set those suckers to some sappy music and slap "STEPHEN HAMMER FOR PRESIDENT 2040" on there and you've got a campaign commercial.

Yes, very much this. ^^

I always wondered why Meredith all of a sudden had Jackie Kennedy as a style icon when she was planning her wedding. I sort of would have expected her to go for the Pinterest-DIY-relaxed farm wedding route. She never wrote a word about Jackie Kennedy, or any other style icons or celebrities, up until then.

And all of a sudden she has this book about famous brides from rich and important families, writes about having a "classy wedding" and has Jackie as her style icon.

I wonder where that came from. Another calculated move or hint from Stephen?

I think it was this book:
http://www.sfparis.com/shop/sfbparis/P22177.html

The UU Church will actually be very convenient for Stephen. "I love my parents, and I know they loved me, but unfortunately, we were caught up in a false, liberal version of 'Christianity'. That led me into some situations I'm not proud of. Luckily, grace is irresistible and the Lord pulled me out of all that by revealing His Word to me. Soon after I found my dear bride, Meredith. God is so good!" And the fundies will swoon...

Do I think he believes a word of this? No. Do I think he's any kind of Christian? No. 

And all of a sudden she has this book about famous brides from rich and important families, writes about having a "classy wedding" and has Jackie as her style icon.

Wow, I missed that.  So she actually DID admit she was going for some kind of Jackie look?  Honestly, she's pulling it off mostly now, but her wedding gown was most definitely NOT the classy style Jackie would have helped her with. 

This is fascinating to me, because I spend a lot of time in Cambridge with a kid about her son's age.  I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

What a lot of people don't realize is that while Cambridge/Somerville/Boston area long-term residents are incredibly liberal, the people who are only here for a few years for a degree are often not.  I can actually pick out these parents on the playground: they just look differently or they let their kids act differently than local cultural norms, if that makes any sense.  For example, most people here keep their kids fairly covered in the sun, not because of modesty but because of skin cancer; when I saw a kid at the pool last summer wearing nothing but a swim diaper, I asked his caregiver what university his partner was at, and I was right - here for a few years on a fellowship.  

I have met conservative Christians around here - there is a sizeable Mormon population in Belmont, right next to Cambridge - and the city is big enough that I think you can keep your children isolated if you want to, especially if you have taught them to not ask questions.  

I'm disappointed that playground season is over and I won't get to keep my eyes out for them.  Hopefully in the spring.  

Wow, I missed that.  So she actually DID admit she was going for some kind of Jackie look?  Honestly, she's pulling it off mostly now, but her wedding gown was most definitely NOT the classy style Jackie would have helped her with. 

To be fair, IIRC, Jackie hated her own wedding dress, so maybe it was a calculated move...or something.  Jackie's wasn't all that great, it sort of reminds me of a lampshade.  And I typically like '50s style wedding dresses.  

2-jackie-kennedy-wedding-dress-picture-0916-h724.jpg

To be fair, IIRC, Jackie hated her own wedding dress, so maybe it was a calculated move...or something.  Jackie's wasn't all that great, it sort of reminds me of a lampshade.  And I typically like '50s style wedding dresses.  

2-jackie-kennedy-wedding-dress-picture-0916-h724.jpg

I recently watched a good documentary on Jackie and have sort-of reappreciated her wedding gown.  I have never loved the bo-peep skirt, but the bodice I thought was quite tasteful and I loved her veil with the "cap" (not sure what you'd call that style).  Like any very public wedding, she had to be careful what she chose since she was officially going to belong to the people from that day forward.    

The Kennedy aesthetic is interesting to me, because no conservative homeschool person I've met has had any love for JFK, known Democrat, Catholic and philanderer.

What I'm really curious about is whether Meredith stopped blogging because she lost interest and free time, or because her mighty godly headship told her to put a lid on it, fearing that she'd inevitably say something that made him look bad, and preferring her to be seen and not heard.

What I'm really curious about is whether Meredith stopped blogging because she lost interest and free time, or because her mighty godly headship told her to put a lid on it, fearing that she'd inevitably say something that made him look bad, and preferring her to be seen and not heard.

Oh, I think it was definitely Stephen who put the kybosh on the blog.  She did make a final "goodbye" message, though, that claimed her purpose of the blog was finished.  That she started the blog to encourage SAHD's and that her life was moving on, blah, blah, blah.  But there is no doubt in my mind that was driven by him.  Can't have any loose ends or potential fuel for criticism when you're a politician!

Oh yes, she was raving about classic and "classy" weddings and was all about Jackie Kennedy and Grace Kelly. She did use the word "classy" a lot, something that was a bit strange since I would have expected her to have cosy or relaxed or humble or Godly as her lead word for the wedding. But no. Classy what was she went for.

And she ended up with a poofy polyester wedding gown from the 80's, messy hair, 27 bell ringers, a flower girl that looked like she was from Toddler and Tiaras and an outdoor reception in December. Classy. :my_cool:

Oh yes, she was raving about classic and "classy" weddings and was all about Jackie Kennedy and Grace Kelly. She did use the word "classy" a lot, something that was a bit strange since I would have expected her to have cosy or relaxed or humble or Godly as her lead word for the wedding. But no. Classy what was she went for.

And she ended up with a poofy polyester wedding gown from the 80's, messy hair, 27 bell ringers, a flower girl that looked like she was from Toddler and Tiaras and an outdoor reception in December. Classy. :my_cool:

Her wedding dress was a lot more Grace Kelly than Jackie Kennedy inspired with a lace long sleeved top.  I think the Kennedy poses are Stephen's ideas because I don't remember Mere mentioning Jackie (that evil Catholic) as an inspiration.  I may be wrong.

I thought the wedding reception was very pretty and she did a lot given her small budget.  It probably wasn't a good idea to have a barn reception at that time of year though.  The wedding guests were dancing in their coats!  When Meredith got engaged she went into a wedding frenzy.  The formerly sensible young woman turned all materialistic and shallow.  Tiffany rings and expensive bouquets and classy, classy, classy!  She's not the only person who has gone temporarily nuts planning a wedding.:my_confused:

Looking at her Pinterest board, I don't think her tastes have changed much.  She was always into a vintage/shabby chic look, and she and her mother were very good at home decorating.  I suspect that the Cambridge home has a tiny bathroom though.  She's researching bathroom storage ideas like mad. 

Given that Donald Trump is still atop the polls, I will NEVER underestimate what voters will fall for. And I actually think that while some factions will give the courtship story and Meredith's lack of education the stink eye, they're probably not people who would consider voting for Stephen anyway. There's another, probably larger faction—the Tea Party types—who would consider the Hammers and their wildly divergent backgrounds to be just what god ordered. Here you have a handsome (not my type), highly intelligent young man who had the best education, served his country, devoted himself to the lord yet was still humble enough to search for the most godly helpmeet he could, without regard to her simple background. Come on, people! He found her online because that's what he was led to do, right? Jebus, people will be falling all over themselves to vote for him. Meredith would be exactly the type of First Lady they dreamed of. One who shuts up, walks behind her husband and does nothing more than host teas on the White House lawn and devotes herself to safe causes, staying well out of the spotlight and politics. 

This is the first time I've ever disagreed with a @sparkles post. A very weird feeling indeed 

At any rate, while some more extreme Tea Partiers might actually like the story, there are a lot of Tea Partiers who are more on the libertarian, less religious focused side of things. And more importantly, the Tea Party is not a dominant voting bloc in the Republican party yet. Look at how candidates position themselves in the Republican primary debates. Yeah, there's a lot of dumb shit being thrown around, but no one's talking about women not being able to go to college (there's a woman up there for godssakes). The majority of middle class Republican voters don't really truck much with that. Most important, they also have to appeal to centrist voters who are the key to winning. People most certainly would not be falling all over themselves to vote for him. I think we do ourselves a disservice when we group everyone who identifies as a conservative as some fundamentalist, Bible thumping hick from the sticks. 

I'm not trying to sound like a defender of the GOP over here (shudder), but I live in a town outside of D.C. that is the epicenter of D.C. Republican players. The ones who are serious about political position have wives who are just as serious. That means educations, experience, and some damn good public speaking skills. And behind closed doors, people are much less about hokey downhomeness and more about education and the ability to win. Josh and Anna would have gotten laughed out of parties if he had gotten serious about getting a political career going. 

One's wife is now part of one's campaign team. He has a fundraiser to go to, so she takes the talk with the DAR on the other side of town. One of those uppity Democrats somehow sneaks in and asks a couple of challenging questions? You want a woman who can handle it, at least well enough that her answer doesn't become an Internet meme or appear on the evening news.

Having met Jeri Thomspon it is hard for me to see her as a trophy wife. As you point out, she was a distinct human being before her husband entered it.

Definitely. I think she gets that rap because of the huge age disparity. She was definitely a career woman. I mean, she was 35 when they married, not exactly the sheltered flower that fundamentalists uphold. 

The Kennedy aesthetic is interesting to me, because no conservative homeschool person I've met has had any love for JFK, known Democrat, Catholic and philanderer.

I agree, but whether you're a conservative or liberal, you can't deny that the Kennedys captured the public imagination and were excellent at the PR of the 'perfect' family with a stylish and loving mother and a dashing, war hero husband that was well educated and an excellent statesmen.  

I agree, but whether you're a conservative or liberal, you can't deny that the Kennedys captured the public imagination and were excellent at the PR of the 'perfect' family with a stylish and loving mother and a dashing, war hero husband that was well educated and an excellent statesmen.  

Indeed the Kennedys figured out the whole public relations/image perfection of their time, but now we have the internet and much faster communications, so imperfections are more difficult to hide.  This ought to be an interesting watch.

Meredith's and Stephen's courtship story is as creepy as it comes.   It comes off as part of a very calculated game plan (which of course, it is) yet poor Meredith has no clue.   She probably thinks she's landed the most wonderful husband and she's the luckiest girl in the world but it's just so obviously unequal and squicky.

When Stephen came a-courting, it's obvious Meredith & her family figured they'd hit the fundie jackpot in the marriage sweepstakes, as others here have said. It was probably child's play for Stephen to discuss his "walk with the Lord and convictions that are of importance to [the Alexander] family," thereby convincing Tim & Joy that he was worthy of Meredith. Bet that Stephen's internet research extended to sussing out Tim & Joy's "theology" in addition to scoping out their acceptably naive daughter.

BTW, not to derail the thread, but the Alexanders have a posted a music video set to "Happy" touting their organic farm: http://alexanderadventuresfamilyblog.blogspot.com/2015/11/happy-at-averys-branch-farms.html. I grew up around dairy farms and I have to say that looks like a very unsanitary operation, especially the bottling of the milk into containers -- open air, ungloved hands, no indication that the containers are clean. Didn't know that raw milk =  filthy milk.

From her blog   " I hope to continue to buy and sell properties when I am married, but I plan to be very careful as to not allow my real estate pursuits to undermine my husband’s financial leadership..."

Because we simply cannot have a mere woman trump her husband's fragile Harvard-educated ego.

the cutesy pictures are trying to be a picture on a webpage but like the klassy wedding are just not quite right.  The term twee seems appropriate.  bless her heart

From her blog   " I hope to continue to buy and sell properties when I am married, but I plan to be very careful as to not allow my real estate pursuits to undermine my husband’s financial leadership..."

Because we simply cannot have a mere woman trump her husband's fragile Harvard-educated ego.

Oh, you poor adorable little thing, you. There's no chance in hell THAT could possibly ever happen.

I was surprised to find I have a mutual Facebook friend with Meredith! It's someone I know from high school (homeschool) debate and she went on to marry a Harvard law student so that's readily explainable. Still unsettling, though.

I also have a mutual friend with her,  the wife of some one I know who was homeschooled and graduated from Harvard Law school last June. 

Archived