IGNORED

Lisa Pennington is publishing a parenting book?

GenerationCedarchip

I was flipping through a "Coming Attractions" catalog and spotted this gem of an upcoming book in the parenting section:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/237 ... -a-do-over

Could this be our Lisa Pennington? Looks like she has a book coming out in September about how to be a good mom even when your life apparently frustrates you. The truly weird thing is that she's being published by David C. Cook, a pretty mainstream evangelical publisher. I wonder if they know all about the Alecia Pennington saga.

I don't know that it is our Lisa Pennington. This LP has written a few books, all seem to be spectacularly unsuccessful including this one

Profitable Child Care, How to Generate More Income for Your Child Care Business

Written by Lisa Pennington, child care expert and owner of Childcare Credentialing and Consulting, LLC, Profitable Child Care, How to Generate More Income for Your Child Care Business

I don't think our Lisa Pennington has ever run a childcare business in her home - could be wrong though. Also, if she had books to plug, I'm sure they'd feature on her website, along with the oils.

This Lisa Penningtons list of books are here: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7 ... Pennington

Well, our Lisa Pennington is planning to publish some sort of book - from her "Pennington Point" FB page (read it and weep):

Everyone has dreams, each as different as the people who dream them.

One of my lifelong dreams was to write a book, and this afternoon as I wandered through this bookstore I was almost in tears as I realized how close I am.

This September MY BOOK will be on these shelves and I still want to pinch myself that it's happening!

It's funny how crazy hard you work for something for a long time yet it still feels sudden.

Leghumper: What will it be about? Excited for you!!

Lisa: It's about finding joy right where you are!

(I don't make the news - I only report it.)

Well, our Lisa Pennington is planning to publish some sort of book - from her "Pennington Point" FB page (read it and weep):

(I don't make the news - I only report it.)

Lisa = delusional. That is all I've got!

I don't think our Lisa Pennington has ever run a childcare business in her home - could be wrong though. Also, if she had books to plug, I'm sure they'd feature on her website, along with the oils.

This Lisa Penningtons list of books are here: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7 ... Pennington

Yup.

The lack of leghumper reviews and information about this Lisa Pennington also leads me to believe that it's not "the" Lisa Pennington.

Our Lisa could write a book about what not to do as a parent. Of course, she would need self awareness, the ability to admit when you're wrong and learn from mistakes, so maybe not.

I'd kind of wondered when I saw the mention of the other books. I don't see fundie Lisa running a daycare.

The only reasons I thought it could maybe be her were: (1) the daycare consulting business is incorporated in TX, (2)curious lack of an author website and bio. And thanks to the excellent Marian the Librarian, I can add (3) she's bragged on her site about a September book release and the book I spotted from David C Cook is due out in September.

I think I'm leaning toward a more toward there being 2 different LPs but I still kinda wonder.....

Either way, she is self publishing something.

I am going to pick up the exploded pieces of my head off the ground now.

Perhaps there is a mistake and the daycare author has been erroneously joined together on goodreads with "our" Lisa Pennington, but "our" Lisa Pennington is definitely the author of the "Mama Needs A Do-Over" book:

http://www.amazon.com/Mama-Needs-Do-Over-Simple-Turning/dp/0781412927

(Read the "about the author" blurb to remove any doubt)

Doesn't sound like the same Lisa Pennington.

Doesn't sound like the same Lisa Pennington.

I wasn't sure either, but when I got to the "About The Author" section, it said:

About the Author

Lisa Pennington is a homeschooling mother of nine who shares her life—one laundry load at a time—on her blog called The Pennington Point. She is a sought-after speaker at conferences and women’s groups. Her favorite things to do are play games with her family, rearrange furniture, and take long naps. Lisa, her husband, James, and their family live near San Antonio.

I wasn't sure either, but when I got to the "About The Author" section, it said:

Re the bolded: Fixed the bio :D

Good find! I couldn't get the author bio to come up anywhere, but that has definitely got to be "our" Lisa Pennington.

David C. Cook is a mainstream evangelical publisher. If they know about the whole "help me prove it" Pennington saga, I wonder if they'd still be hyping this book - or even releasing it.

Edited because I can't spell today.

OK, I found the child-care-author Lisa Pennington, and it's NOT our Lisa.

However, the introvert-author does seem to be our Lisa. Which means she has published at least those two introvert books prior to this do-over book.

Without giving her the benefit of actually reading her books, I'm already reacting quite strongly against the introvert books, because just from the titles she seems to be conflating introvert with shy. Grrrr.... They are NOT the same, not even close!

I am an introvert -- actually I'm a rather extreme introvert, to the extent that I have not yet, in my mid-50s, figured out how to properly manage my time for maximum accomplishment and maximum life-enjoyment on my part.

However, I am not shy. In most situations I come across to others as socially comfortable, even a bit gregarious. I have various jobs that involve interacting with the public, and I really enjoy them.

In fact, I behave more-or-less exactly (!!) like an extrovert would while out in public. The difference between me and an extrovert is that after a day out in public and then an evening spent quietly at home, the extrovert is ready for more public time the next day, to balance out the quiet home-time from the night before, whereas an introvert needs more time spent quietly at home before they can handle more public time and still feel balanced.

The bottom line is that introvert/extrovert is not an outward personality expression (such as shy is) -- introvert/extrovert is rather a time-management issue, about which kinds of activities energize a person, which kinds drain them, and how a person finds their balance between the two.

I know lots of people get these concepts mixed up, and that's understandable -- but someone who is pretending to be enough of an expert on the subject as to write two books on the topic, really ought to have a better grasp.

/rant

ETA: it remains a mystery why these different women are listed as one author on Amazon. Amazon certainly has multitudes of authors with the same name as other authors, and manages to keep them distinct. Someone goofed on thinking these two (or three, if I'm mistaken about the introvert-author) women are the same. Possibly an innocent mistake. Or not...

(Putting on librarian hat here :) )

It's really common, in library-land, to see two or more people with the same name mistakenly conflated in whatever cataloging system is being used - that's why catalogers love to add birth years after authors' and subjects' names. I believe this conflation has also happened with the Goodreads and Amazon listings.

I've taken advantage of Amazon's sneak peek feature, and IMHO the two books about introversion are not by our "Pennington Point," birth-certificate-denying, essential-oil-shilling Lisa. There is absolutely no mention of God or Jesus, she refers to only one daughter (no quiverfull!), and in "Introvert Power" she describes a workplace confrontation in which she says "Well stop that shit please" to her boss.

The child-care business books are by yet another Lisa Pennington:

a daycare consultant recognized by the Texas Trainer Registry as well as a Texas commercial real estate agent and daycare business broker. Since 2009, Lisa has been assisting child care operators obtain their administrator credentials and regularly assists these providers with all aspects of running a financially successful child care business. From policies and procedures, continued education, and emergency preparedness plans to parent handbooks, Lisa knows what steps need to be taken to make a child care center work in a competitive playing field. She helps hundreds of child care providers every year stay current with state minimums, First Aid training, CPR, and Director Credentialing.

Trust me, if our Lisa had those credentials, she'd be tooting her own horn about them at every opportunity.

BUT - the "Mama Needs a Do-Over" title? Bingo! I believe this is the "finding joy no matter what" book our Lisa was referring to on her FB page (interestingly, the entry seems to have been deleted!):

Dirty dishes overflow the sink. Your two youngest kids just began their third round of hand-to-hand combat today. And now the washing machine won’t start. Visions of putting a home-cooked meal in the oven while the family plays happily in the living room evaporate amid screaming, complaining, and slammed doors—and that’s not even counting what the children are doing.

Lisa Pennington knows what those days are like. And she knows that even in the hard times you can find immense joy. In Mama Needs a Do-Over, Lisa offers hopeful, practical ideas for resetting your family’s mood in the toughest moments. She also dives deep into your mother’s heart to show you the power you have to turn those challenges into gifts. A little fun, a new perspective, and a go-to list for those do-over days, and you might just find joy in all those dirty dishes after all!

(Taking off librarian hat now.)

BUT - the "Mama Needs a Do-Over" title? Bingo! I believe this is the "finding joy no matter what" book our Lisa was referring to on her FB page (interestingly, the entry seems to have been deleted!):

Any bets on how many words it will take Lisa to write "use essential oils"?

(Putting on librarian hat here :) )

It's really common, in library-land, to see two or more people with the same name mistakenly conflated in whatever cataloging system is being used - that's why catalogers love to add birth years after authors' and subjects' names. I believe this conflation has also happened with the Goodreads and Amazon listings.

I've taken advantage of Amazon's sneak peek feature, and IMHO the two books about introversion are not by our "Pennington Point," birth-certificate-denying, essential-oil-shilling Lisa. There is absolutely no mention of God or Jesus, she refers to only one daughter (no quiverfull!), and in "Introvert Power" she describes a workplace confrontation in which she says "Well stop that shit please" to her boss.

The child-care business books are by yet another Lisa Pennington:

Trust me, if our Lisa had those credentials, she'd be tooting her own horn about them at every opportunity.

Thanks MtL! (and incidentally I am also staff at a county library branch, though I'm not a librarian as in MLS. But I've been here approaching ten years now and completely love it, "why didn't I do this sooner?")

Anyway, yes, our Lisa apparently said on her blog that she was turning her "most popular" post into a book, and that most popular post was one about dealing with when the kids are having a crazy hard day, etc.

Like you, I looked at the sneak peek text on the introvert books and didn't think it sounded like her. There was an anecdote about shopping with her daughter on a tight schedule because the daughter had to get to work (doesn't sound like her). There was the story of Lisa being "hard-hitting" in some office job situation (doesn't sound like her). Lots of things that didn't sound like her, though I didn't see any specific mention of details that would completely rule her out.

Then I found this (scroll down to 3rd blurb): https://www.thsc.org/author/lisapennington/

It's not 100% that that connects to the introvert books, but it did make it seem likely, to me.

It's not 100% that that connects to the introvert books, but it did make it seem likely, to me.

Yep - I totally get that! I'd seen the Texas Homeschool Association articles written by Lisa before, and the one about introversion gave me pause...but for me, it was eclipsed by her "Keeping Close to Home" piece.

If one of the kids wants to participate in an outside activity, he comes to us with the idea. Then we look at all of the costs: financial, time, family effort, and effect on the character of the child. Is the cost in these areas something our family wants to spend? If so, we parents share the idea with the rest of the family for their input as to how it will affect everyone. Probably more than half the time, by the time we have gone through this whole process we decide not to do it.

No wonder Faith wanted out...

Yep - I totally get that! I'd seen the Texas Homeschool Association articles written by Lisa before, and the one about introversion gave me pause...but for me, it was eclipsed by her "Keeping Close to Home" piece.

I'm not sure I understand -- the Texas Homeschool Association articles are definitely our Lisa, right? Keeping Close to Home, and then the middle one I forget the topic, and then the third one about introverts.

I'm not sure now whether you think she's the introvert author or not...

(not that it really matters, but I find this kind of sleuthing fun. If you don't, feel free to ignore me! :D )

Apparently, her book is based upon this post: thepenningtonpoint.com/2012/02/20-ways-to-reset-when-the-kids-are-having-a-hard-day/

They're not bad suggestions for diverting kids attention from fighting or whatever, but I don't know how she's going to make a book out of it. No mention of essential oils in the post, either. It was from 2012 though, so maybe she wasn't schilling them at that point.

I'm not sure I understand -- the Texas Homeschool Association articles are definitely our Lisa, right? Keeping Close to Home, and then the middle one I forget the topic, and then the third one about introverts.

I'm not sure now whether you think she's the introvert author or not...

(not that it really matters, but I find this kind of sleuthing fun. If you don't, feel free to ignore me! :D )

Sorry, didn't mean to muddy the waters. (I'm tired after working the weekend, and hence, brain dead!)

Yes, the TX Homeschooling articles were written by our Lisa, for sure. But I think her "I'm an Introvert" statement was just her being a combination of folksy and attention-seeking. I don't think she's the author of the two introversion books. If she were, I have no doubt she'd be pushing them at least as hard as she pushes those ubiquitous oils.

Sorry, didn't mean to muddy the waters. (I'm tired after working the weekend, and hence, brain dead!)

Yes, the TX Homeschooling articles were written by our Lisa, for sure. But I think her "I'm an Introvert" statement was just her being a combination of folksy and attention-seeking. I don't think she's the author of the two introversion books. If she were, I have no doubt she'd be pushing them at least as hard as she pushes those ubiquitous oils.

Aha ok, thanks for the clarification. I think you're probably right, though there is a part of me that is prepared to be surprised.

Will there be a chapter on how to abuse your child so badly that she jumps into her Granparents' car screaming for sanctuary? Or a chapter on denying your children basic rights like documentation proving they exist? How about a chapter chronicling how heartbroken she is over her daughter "running away" and how you can make her feel so much better by purchasing her essential oils - because everyone knows money is the only cure for a broken heart. :angry-banghead:

Lisa Pennington's feelings are hurt.

thepenningtonpoint.com/2015/06/why-ya-gotta-hate/

Hate = posting documented evidence of her bad behavior. :naughty:

Archived