IGNORED

March of Remembrance (in Israel)

BrownieMomma

Just saw this on my FB, some of my former-SBC-gone-fundie-lite friends participated this year.

I don't know much about this but I am wondering if you find this respectful and honoring, or cultural appropriation?

marchofremembrance.org/

Just saw this on my FB, some of my former-SBC-gone-fundie-lite friends participated this year.

I don't know much about this but I am wondering if you find this respectful and honoring, or cultural appropriation?

marchofremembrance.org/

I looked it up because there are a variety of sound-alike organizations.

This is not the March of Remembrance and Hope, which is a non-denominational program for students.

From what I see on their website, they are clearly a Christian group but make efforts to ensure that the voices of survivors are heard, and the website claims that they are not about proselytizing or linking any other issues. If that's true, then I would support their efforts. Time is running out for Holocaust survivors to give their testimony, many of the ones that I knew have already died.

I do think that events will be forgotten if there isn't a conscience effort to remember. Already, university students today lack knowledge: http://www.thebigthrill.org/2015/01/spe ... y-amernic/ (unbroken, not a fundie site)

The organization is closely linked to the March of Life organization in Europe (not to be confused with the March For Life, which is an anti-abortion group). The founder is a German pastor who seems genuinely committed to "breaking the silence" about the history of his city and country during the Nazi era that existed in the post-war era. It's a worthy goal. I was a bit taken aback to learn of the involvement of descendents of former German soldier and members of the SS and the reconciliation portion, and I might need to know more about how it works to sort out my feelings. The idea of acknowledging what happened in the past and vowing to change the future is a good one. I don't think that people are responsible for the sins of their ancestors, so long as they don't perpetuate the same sins. I would have some issues if former soldiers or SS members themselves used this as an opportunity to demand forgiveness, because I don't think that any Jew has the agency to grant forgiveness on behalf of someone else.

In general, I see the March of Remembrance as a good thing.

Archived