IGNORED

Nancy Leigh Demoss is engaged

jerkit

Interesting. I used to listen to her radio show a few years ago. It came on during lunch and I'd catch parts of it while riding around. Then I realized.. I didn't really agree with her on a lot of things and stopped.

Hmmmm. Her beard? Apologies to lesbians everywhere but I thought she was somewhat butch......

She's been growing her hair out and femme-ing it up lately. I think she finally realized that she was setting off people's gaydars-- and not just because she wasn't married.

Oh wow, that is an interesting turn of events. Robert Wolgemuth and his wife collaborated on some hymn projects with Joni Earikson Tada and are big names in certain evangelical and Reformed circles. Bobbie Wolgemuth just died in December of '14, so he is a very recent widower. I have a feeling he and Nancy may have known each other a long time as friends and collaborated on projects before. They definitely traveled in the same circles.

It's on her ministry page that they have known each other for ten years (ish). And that Bobbie had made her wishes known to him and their family that she wanted him to remarry. They both wrote a blurb on the ROH ministry page..

I'm not familiar with her so did a google search.

She mentioned on her web site that people would be shocked to find out she is engaged. Why is that so shocking? I assume she's not referring to the gaydar thing.

Also, I see she co-authored a book on being a godly wife and mother. Has she ever been either of those things herself? Godly or otherwise?

Shocked perhaps because she's been single as long as she has. Never married. No kids. If she has any ex-boyfriends they're so far back in her history that nobody knows about them. For fundies and evangelicals, that's pretty unusual. She has vocally accepted single celibacy, while writing about marriage/family stuff.

Imagine the Botkinettes (but a smidge more mainstream) in a couple of decades,and you'll have yourself NLD.

Can someone tell me who this person is. I've never heard of her before.

I don't know her entire story, but I stumbled upon her far before I had ever seen a Duggar TV show or come across Free Jinger. She is a fairly notable author and public speaker amongst conservative and fundamentalist Christian (particularly Evangelical) groups.

She leads a yearly women's conference called Revive Our Hearts and she's written extensively about the evils of feminism and the need to return to "Biblical femininity." Because she wrote so much about a woman's place in the family, I automatically assumed she was married. I hadn't read any of her stuff about accepting the single life.

I am going to be a huge judgmental bitch here but I think announcing a brand new engagement merely 5 months after becoming a widower is tacky. I don't think life should stop but at least let the dirt settle before you make another huge commitment! Was he scoping Nancy out before his wife passed away?

Okay, I just read the spiel on her website and apparently the wife said (not in front of her husband) that she wants him to get married to Nancy, specifically. That's some creepy, next-level fundie rom-com weirdness!

Oh wow, that is an interesting turn of events. Robert Wolgemuth and his wife collaborated on some hymn projects with Joni Earikson Tada and are big names in certain evangelical and Reformed circles. Bobbie Wolgemuth just died in December of '14, so he is a very recent widower. I have a feeling he and Nancy may have known each other a long time as friends and collaborated on projects before. They definitely traveled in the same circles.

Good Lord, the body isn't even cold!

I can see how a dying person would reassure the surviving spouse it is okay to move on and marry again.

But say with who? That is pretty out there but now I'm getting a ghost of a memory of this happening before. But heck, it might be a movie I'm thinking of lol.

Here's their account of what happened: reviveourhearts.com/engagement/

Reads a LOT like one of the old YLCF courtship stories, complete with a "his" and "hers" version of events.

Too weird.

It is VERY soon after his first wife's death. However, my dad remarried 13 months after my biological mother's death and has now been married, mostly happily, for 16 years. So there's that.

In the video, her rock looks HUGE. I suppose he has money from his books sales. I suppose she has money too - her house looks really nice.

She's written/spoken about being a wife and mother so much, I'm glad (I guess that's the feeling?) she will finally have some experience to speak from.

Hello? Is this guy a fundie? He probably has made a HUGE dithering mess of the house and homestead, without his Biblical wife to take care of all the "wimmin's work".... He NEEDED a wife five months ago, right after she died!

Seriously, I don't begrudge a happily married widow(er) a quick new marriage. Hope it is for them both.

Hello? Is this guy a fundie? He probably has made a HUGE dithering mess of the house and homestead, without his Biblical wife to take care of all the "wimmin's work".... He NEEDED a wife five months ago, right after she died!

Seriously, I don't begrudge a happily married widow(er) a quick new marriage. Hope it is for them both.

He was a caregiver for a long time, and I can totally understand him needing love, affection, and sex after all that heartbreak and exhaustion. I'm not being judgy about any of that. But to publicly announce that you started "looking for a new friend" just weeks after your wife died? Was that really necessary? And did he have to bring his children into it and reassure us that "They're fine-they're fine- NO REALLY THEY'RE FINE!" with their father marrying another woman five months after they buried their mother?

I just find the whole thing really obnoxious. Start dating-- hell, start sleeping together, I don't care-- but have some discretion and hold off on the engagement announcement for a decent period of time. But this is their twisted "values" system at work.

This should be somewhat entertaining to watch :lol: . I have never listened to NLD, but my mother, a woman with 25 years of marriage and 5 kids under her belt always listens to her podcasts. I just roll my eyes a lot, because NLD has no experience with motherhood or marriage, and yet somehow has made a career of inspiring (both guilt and amazement) in wives and mothers across mainstream Conservative Christianity. I will be watching with interest - after all.. one cannot simply make a ton of money telling other wives and mothers how to live, and then not expect some scrutiny when she finally decides to get married. People are always experts in something until it happens to them :dance:

I can see how a dying person would reassure the surviving spouse it is okay to move on and marry again.

But say with who? That is pretty out there but now I'm getting a ghost of a memory of this happening before. But heck, it might be a movie I'm thinking of lol.

It sounds like he was a caregiver for a long time, and I've seen remarriages happen quickly in those situations. I work with caregivers sometimes professionally, and I know that I've heard people express that with some long-term illnesses, there often comes a point where it feels like the person who is ill is gone before they actually die. I've also known of at least 2 situations where the dying spouse picked out a new husband or wife for the family before they died.

Even when it seems like someone is getting remarried quickly, I try not to judge because in my professional life and in my church, I've seen situations that are all over the place. I know of folks who remarried at various points from 3 months to many years after losing a spouse. And I knew of a man in my childhood church whose wife died after a 7 year illness where she was in a near-unresponsive state for at least the last six months or so, and he never married again. Everyone is different on this issue.

Re: Nancy Leigh DeMoss - there have been whispers of possible courtships within Reformed circles but not any that would be very recent aside from Wolgemuth. Don't know how credible the rumors were, though. We had one lady in my former church that knew her personally, and she would never comment one way or the other.

How old is she? This seems like a bizarre story.

57. She was 50 at True Woman 08 (which they podcasted and now I'm listening to lol).

Wow- I am very surprised that NLD is engaged. Will be interesting to see how she likes taking her own advice when it comes to marriage. Might look a bit different from an insider's view Nancy!

Archived