IGNORED

Evangelical Leader Russell Moore Denounces 'Ex-Gay Therapy'

doggie

good we see a non gay doing this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/2 ... 62474.html

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (RNS) Southern Baptist leader Russell Moore denounced reparative therapy at a conference here, saying the controversial treatment that attempts to change a person’s sexual orientation has been “severely counterproductive.â€

Moore, who serves as president of the Southern Baptists’ Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, spoke to a group of journalists Tuesday (Oct. 28) covering the group’s national conference.

“The utopian idea if you come to Christ and if you go through our program, you’re going to be immediately set free from attraction or anything you’re struggling with, I don’t think that’s a Christian idea,†Moore told journalists. “Faithfulness to Christ means obedience to Christ. It does not necessarily mean that someone’s attractions are going to change.â€

Moore said evangelicals had an “inadequate view†of what same-sex attraction looks like.

“The Bible doesn’t promise us freedom from temptation,†Moore said. “The Bible promises us the power of the spirit to walk through temptation.â€

Moore gave similar remarks to an audience of 1,300 people at the conference. The same morning, the conference featured three speakers who once considered themselves gay or lesbian.

Moore joins a chorus of psychologists and religious leaders who have departed from the once-popular therapy.

Well, it's a step in the right direction. Did he also say that LGBT people can be in loving relationship and that lifelong celibacy is not expected? (The HuffPo piece isn't loading for me.)

I think at least he is honest. As a lesbian myself, I'm absolutely convinced that the sexual orientation itself can't be changed. Sure, you can stay abstinent, but you can't become magically straight.

And by the way, when these "ex-gays" claim that they feel much happier now that they are "straight" I actually believe them. But the reason they feel better about themselves is not because they are suddenly "straight", cause they aren't. It's because they finally feel accepted by their God and their community, and think that they are finally living a "normal" and "good" life.

Archived