IGNORED

Shields (Gladheart Acres) Family

fauxmenno

Just saw on FB that Rick Shields of the Gladheart Acres family in Alaska (we covered daughter Haylee's wedding a few years ago) passed away last weekend. Even though they are an EXTREMELY conservative family and he held some pretty horrible views, I feel awful for his family. A few of his children are still in their young teens and I can't imagine how devastated they must be now.

They are friends of friends and it is terribly sad, especially since their family was already in turmoil. I had no idea they had been talked about here. Off to search.

Oh, no. I think this might be the Alaskan family I was thinking of when Chester Drawers announced that he was moving his mountainous self and family to AK. Or perhaps there are other Alaskan fundie families with a headcovering mom and a morbidly obese dad. :?

I always thought the dad was living on right on the edge being that obese, and how irresponsible it was to not attend to his health when so many people depended on him.

Babycakes, if you find the thread will you link it here? I'm inept with the search today, evidently...

I don't think it's the same family you were thinking of. Just from the few pictures I've seen, Rick didn't really look morbidly obese, and they don't wear head covers on a regular basis. I am still really sad for them. Despite their extreme far right political beliefs, they really seem like a close and loving family who actually have fun. Babycakes, do you know if Rick had been ill or was this unexpected?

Or perhaps there are other Alaskan fundie families with a headcovering mom and a morbidly obese dad.

Are you perhaps thinking of the Wilkinsons? They used to blog over at Simple Living AK, I think. The parents were both really big, they were building their home themselves, the kids had some messed up names (was Vision O'YHWH one of theirs?), the dad wore overalls in a family photo and the mom headcovered, and they had some screed on their site against the Girl SCouts. They stopped blogging, but I can't remember why. I was always fascinated by them.

http://m.frontiersman.com/obituaries/ri ... l?mode=jqm

Not sure exactly what happened. Heart attack? He collapsed at home, children tried CPR while waiting for paramedics, paramedics could not stabilize him, and I believe he was air-lifted out, but pronounced dead on arrival. I only marginally know the family, but the ladies I have met are very sweet.

Are you perhaps thinking of the Wilkinsons? They used to blog over at Simple Living AK, I think. The parents were both really big, they were building their home themselves, the kids had some messed up names (was Vision O'YHWH one of theirs?), the dad wore overalls in a family photo and the mom headcovered, and they had some screed on their site against the Girl SCouts. They stopped blogging, but I can't remember why. I was always fascinated by them.

This is the family I was thinking of as well.

http://m.frontiersman.com/obituaries/richard-michael-shields/article_dfd7f732-1f28-11e4-9ffc-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm

Not sure exactly what happened. Heart attack? He collapsed at home, children tried CPR while waiting for paramedics, paramedics could not stabilize him, and I believe he was air-lifted out, but pronounced dead on arrival. I only marginally know the family, but the ladies I have met are very sweet.

How sad :( He was only 54. And a house full of children too....just heartbreaking.

I'm glad his wife and kids at least have some way of supporting themselves since they have the family business. Another fundie man, Marco Kaufman, was murdered last year in NC and left behind his pregnant wife who is basically now living off of handouts and help from her family because she had no skills or employment to fall back on to support herself.

Archived